User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't aim for bigger legs, it'll mainly make you heavier (although having stronger legs does mean a certain increase in leg muscles but that's not the point). Just aim for more powerful legs, period.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by krisss View Post
    So just hold the dumbells whilst doing the leg training?
    yes. you can do the usual leg exercises (without dumbbells) and leave a few sets with dumbbells. your goal is to strengthen the targeted muscle groups. with a 5 to 10 lbs. dumbbells, you cannot expect to grow muscle mass but you can attain definition and cuts. try 8 to 12 reps for 3 sets. you can customize your program by simply increasing weights on specific leg parts where you think you just basically need more development.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

So just hold the dumbells whilst doing the leg training?
    sample exercises (with dumbbells):

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I, too, have a similar issue whereby my legs are very weak and i often get tired easily.

I'd say do some jogging regularly at a nearby soccer field or something about 6 rounds to start off with.

You can also train the legs by doing squats thrusts/burpies or just regular footwork anywhere and time yourself using a watch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to add to this...

I'm far from a fitness expert... but a friend of mine showed me a technique for squats that really makes you work hard... I was at the point where I could do hundreds of regular squats without extra weights (because I don't have any ), and it seemed like a waste of time. So he told me to go down slowly (2-3 secs), then when you're in "sitting" position - "pulse" for around 5 seconds (very small movements up and down), then hold your position for a further 5 seconds before slowly coming back up. Now I struggle to make it to 20 . It's reeeally tough (for me at least).

He says the pulse and hold can be applied to many exercises and it's also a useful way to progress if you don't have weights.

Apart from squats, I do calf raises and glute ham raises (or something - again I'm no expert - hardly even know the names >_>... but like you I want stronger legs ).
    Last edited by phaarix; 08-16-2009 at 01:21 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or you can lean/sit against the wall with your thighs horizontal and then stay there for around 3mins at least.

You can also do this while watching tv, all you need is a wall and clock. :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Heong View Post
    Or you can lean/sit against the wall with your thighs horizontal and then stay there for around 3mins at least.

Ahhh I always used to hate that one soooo much! For some reason the girls at our training always used to beat the boys by miles.

I do just about all my exercises while watching TV .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=phaarix;1233166I'm far from a fitness expert... but a friend of mine showed me a technique for squats that really makes you work hard... I was at the point where I could do hundreds of regular squats without extra weights (because I don't have any ), and it seemed like a waste of time. So he told me to go down slowly (2-3 secs), then when you're in "sitting" position - "pulse" for around 5 seconds (very small movements up and down), then hold your position for a further 5 seconds before slowly coming back up. Now I struggle to make it to 20 . It's reeeally tough (for me at least).

He says the pulse and hold can be applied to many exercises and it's also a useful way to progress if you don't have weights.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much sounds ike the exercises that our coach has got us doing. Only difference is that we're moving sideways which sort of mimics the badminton movement.

It's a killer & really hurts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah , wall sits are a killer . Heong - whats the longest you have ever done?

Pharinx , when you said heel raises and glute raises , what exactly are the glute raises?

I know heel raises develop your calf muscles , and glute raises develop your glutes (obviously) but could you explain glute raises?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pharinx , when you said heel raises and glute raises , what exactly are the glute raises?

I know heel raises develop your calf muscles , and glute raises develop your glutes (obviously) but could you explain glute raises?
    Well I understand the glute ham raise to be -

Kneeling on the ground, body straight up (like an L). You need someone to help hold your feet on the ground (or something heavy that will not allow your feet to move). Keeping your upper legs and body relatively straight, slowly tilt forward and keep going forward toward the floor until you can't hold it anymore. When that happens, put your arms out in front of you so that you don't crash face first into the floor .

I only just started this week, so my hamstrings are really weak! I don't go too far forward before I have to let go. I think the "raise" part is going back up. Apparently if you're really good you can pull yourself back up with your legs, but since you definitely can't do that when you start out, give yourself a push with your arms back up most of the way and slowly back into your starting position.

Might be a good idea to google it, the photos help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah , wall sits are a killer . Heong - whats the longest you have ever done?

Yea it is, i'd literally collapse on the floor when my coach times me about 3mins. Still trying to improve on muscles. ><

I guess 3mins, i'll need to increase that substantually but i'll keep it there til' i get better. :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea it is, i'd literally collapse on the floor when my coach times me about 3mins. Still trying to improve on muscles. ><

I guess 3mins, i'll need to increase that substantually but i'll keep it there til' i get better. :P
    Well to be honest 3 minutes is actually good Heong.

Thanks for the detailed explanation pharnyx , I will try and implement them in my training schedule .

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forced to train in a different gym on Weds as my usual one was closed while the staff bonded (i.e. went paintballing), so I had my first go of a hack squat machine for several years, and the result was incredible - EVERY inch of the thigh was set on fire even with no plates on the sledge. I am now going to this other gym solely for legs (and cycling home).

If you only use ONE thigh machine, the hack squat should be it - put your feet as far forward on the tray as possible to get FULL knee flexion. I don't know how to describe hte sensation after 6 sets of this, but it felt like my legs were going to be sick (if that makes sense).

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The book

Found Target Bodybuilding for free:

http://ebook30.com/personality/healt...ybuilding.html

Enjoy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

jump with skipping rope!
    best thing ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark A View Post
    Found Target Bodybuilding for free:

http://ebook30.com/personality/healt...ybuilding.html

Enjoy!

Wow Mark A , thankyou for that! I am downloading it now.
    I am happy to say , just completed a 5 minutes wall sit
    Last edited by krisss; 08-24-2009 at 06:58 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow Mark A , thankyou for that! I am downloading it now.
    I am happy to say , just completed a 5 minutes wall sit
    Clearly I've got a long way to go. I tried a wall sit just now to see where I'm at and I only managed 3 minutes. I'm not very tolerable of extreme pain .

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast