stronger legs (thighs, calves, hamstrings etc)

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by giant_q_tip, Jul 26, 2009.

1. giant_q_tip

giant_q_tip Regular Member

first and foremost I dont have access to a gym, so no weights, treadmill whatsoever.

second, I jog, well once a week at most, but I do bodyweight lunges at home (not a lot though)

and thats about it..

what can i do to have stronger legs? I've always known that most power comes from the legs, but I realize when I'm out of position, my legs feel weak and I really feel it.

My footwork has improved since last year (not saying its the best because it's not) but by next summer I plan to have bigger and stronger legs and better footwork as well, though shadow practicing (footwork) doesn't really add strength to my legs..

so what can I do to strengthen them?

thanks guys!!

2. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    up your running. I run for 10 minutes 5 days a week as well as 20 minutes of cycling 5 days a week. An thats just now while im recovering from my injury.

You need to run alot more. This will increase your stamina/strength and fitness.
    The other thing is free standing squats. To begin with just get comfortable with correct form. (which means doing it properly.)
    If you dont know how to do squats there are plenty of youtube videos. Try to do it correctly and go all the way down past parralel. As you get stronger you can either hold something with weight to it. Or add jumps in after you squat.

Eventually you will notice a huge difference. Not only with your balance and strength. But muscle stamina aswell.
    Goodluck.

3. giant_q_tip

ooohhh!!! ok ok! :D

do you recomment rope skipping as well? and should I just run forward or sideways and backwards as well... I usually run in a park that has a track field :D

4. bradmyster

yes skipping will do great things aswell!!!! If you want you can measure out 20 metres distance. And do a sidestep drill back and forth. Looks like a crab lol Main thing is to bend your knees keep low and move at a consistant height.

5. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

some home workouts:

squats and lunges for upper legs (hamstrings)

i dont know what's it called exactly, maybe "toe raises", but stand on a stairs with your front foot (and your heel on air) and raise yourself with your front feet. this should workout your calfs. for more resistent, do one leg at a time. [​IMG]

you can also try carrying a backpack with lots of heavy books inside while doing these for added resistents, but make sure your back is straight to avoid injury.

6. Mathieu

Mathieu Regular Member

Student
    You can find alot of good info about fitness and training here if you use the search function.

If you really have bad stamina or are overweight, running long distances will help, but once you built decent stamina, I suggest you look for some more ''badminton specific'' ways to build your stamina. For instance, I would not run more than 5k to train stamina (5km is a real quick run that should take between 16 mins and 25 mins depending on your fitness). Intervalls (sprints) are the most important to build strenght, explosivness and badminton specific endurance.

Remember that the average rally time is 6 seconds in badminton, so I would not run for more than 1 min, but I would do it many times instead.

Skipping is also very good, but you can also do some ''fast feet drills'' (jumping over lines or over a small bench... there are tons of things you can do to improve your fitness, all you need is time and perseverence)

Good luck

7. giant_q_tip

alright just a quick question.

should i vary my running a bit and sprint?

or should I just sprint? or sprint more than run/jog?

you said dont run for more than 1 min. so i assume just sprint the entire 1 min?

8. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    go 100% sprint (preferably up an incline to make it harder) then walk/rest in a 1.5:1 or 2:1 ratio, and do that 8 times or so (by the 6th time you should be very tired). For me I use a treadmill on max speed and a 5 degree incline, 20 sec on it and 10 sec off it.

I also agree with the skipping, that is great for both leg strength and again, aerobic and anaerobic fitness.

9. Mathieu

Mathieu Regular Member

Student
    As I said, it depends on your current fitness level. If your current fitness is bad, you might want to vary more and use both sprints (intervals) and long runs. If you are decently fit, move on to the intervals: for intance, run 20 seconds and then rest (walk) for 10 seconds. Do this for 4 mins (8 sets of 30 seconds). This is called the Tabata protocol and it's very effective for badminton. There are tons of protocols like this but the 20 seconds run/10 seconds walk X 8 is my personal favorite.

I personnally use intervalls and 5 km runs even if I consider myself as a fit player. I do this especially when I train 2 days in a row, intervalls are quite hard on your body so if you do intevalls one day and still want to train the next day, you might want to go for a long run.

Once again, if that was not clear enough, just ask again and I will re-explain it to you.

10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Personally, I think jogging and rope skipping are easy to do, and does not requirement too much special facility or equipment. The key is how much effort the person willing to put in. ;)

11. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Run hills my friend and when u get a bit fitter, buy a weighted vest and run the hills in that. I run a steep hill 2 miles up and 2 miles down (4 miles) sometimes wit a weighted vest, other times not but I do this 3 - 4 times a week. some times I run easy, other times I c how fast I can go & my fitness ova past 2 - 3 months has greatly increased & I have seen gud increase in size in my calfs and quads! :D:cool:

12. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Wow just tried the heel-lifts they are good And I can feel the burn on my calfs :).

I always used to skip 3 times a week , now I can add in the heel-lifts.

Currently , I am doing Wall sits for quads , skipping for general training aerobic/anaerobic and now I'm adding in the heel lifts?

Any other excercises?

13. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Bradymyster - can I ask you , what is your training schedule over a week (non-season time and season time) (on-court and off-court).

Really interested to know what you do each day :)?

14. bradmyster

Right now due to my injury my training has taken quite a step back.
    Each day when i finish work i head to the gym.
    There i begin with a stretch session (just to make sure i dont get injured lol)
    Then to get my body pumping and heart racing i do a rotational pushup and situp drill.
    10 situps then 10 pushups.
    9 situps then 9 pushups.
    8 situps then 8 pushups ......etc etc. Continually without breaks all the way down to 1.
    Then straight away i jump onto the excersise bike and ride for 10 minutes.
    2 minutes on resistance level 10 maintaining 90rpm. Then boost to 14 level restistance maintaining over 100rpm for 1 minute. Then back to 10 for another 2 minutes and repeat until i reach 10 minutes.

Then straight away jump on the treadmill and go for a consistant jog around about 10-11 kph for 10 minutes.
    Then back to the mat area and repeat the pushup/situp drill. Then back on the bike for another 10 minute ride.

Then to warm down i jump into the sauna for 5-10 minutes and stretch down.

Basically im doing lots of cardio to get my fitness up and to burn my excess body fats.
    I do this schedule Monday - friday 5 days a week. And thats all for now.

15. bradmyster

Now starting next week i will begin badminton training again.
    I will be doing the same process mentioned above each day monday - friday with some extra things thrown in.

Freestanding squats with no weight to begin with until the strength in my ankle has fully returned. Calf raises. and some light upper body weights. Forearm curls, bench press etc etc etc. Just to maintain muscle structure and strength.

Once my gym session is complete each day i will move on to badminton training.
    Monday night 2 hour hard social play. Tuesday night i help coach at my club. Then a light 2 hour social play. Wednesday night will either be rest night or State training. (depends when the state coaches want to train the squad) Thursday night 2 Hours of strong social play. Friday night 3 hours of strong social play. Saturday during the day 3 hours of solid training with some close friends from the state squad. Sunday morning State training.

As i get fitter and stronger again i will increase the speeds/resistance levels and distances i run/ride. The 2 or 3 times a week that i focus on training will be pure footwork training. Or stroke training consisting of Backhand and Smash training. Which are the 2 toughest shots to perfect.
    So thats not a very detailed schedule but it gives you a basic idea of how hard i will be training for the next 6-8 months before i go to university next year.

By that stage i will probably have to drop a fair bit of training and focus on my studies. But it depends how well i progress. If i have a chance to do very well in badminton then i may consider just working for another year and holding off on returning to uni.

16. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Running downhill might not be a good idea as it might impact your knees and increased wear and tear of your joints. Rather than running up the hill, it's been recommened to sprint up the hill as hard as you can and take a walking breather as you get down the other side of the hill.

17. justinwyyau

justinwyyau Regular Member

Husband and Dad
    Hi bradmyster,

I noticed that you are practically training and playing every single day. Perhaps you should think about having two days worth in between to let your body recover? So in your case maybe drop the social plays and have Monday and Wednesday off (if Wednesday you have State training, take the Thursday off). Personal opinion, and I think it'll do you more good to have 2 days worth of rest as opposed to 1 day or none.

You can also try pistol squats (single leg squats) to increase your lower body. You can increase resistance by hugging onto something (weights, sandbag, etc). Body weight lunges to the front, side and back also does wonders. To increase resistance, carry something overhead.

Hope that helps.

Justin

18. bradmyster

Thanks for your concern. I have slowly worked my training schedule into this so by now my body is actually strong enough to cope. If i feel i need rest i am not stubborn or stupid. I will rest. But in the same reason if i feel strong and energetic and have no excuse to miss training, then i will train.
    I am sure i will know how my body will hold up after 2 weeks of this schedule or so. ;)

19. justinwyyau

justinwyyau Regular Member

Husband and Dad
    That is good to hear :) and good to see that you are recovering well from your injury. Good luck!

Justin

20. giant_q_tip

alright thanks for the tip guys!

i've started doing and experimenting exercises that you guys recommended to me and boy do they really add weigh to my entire legs.

can't wait to do more of them tomorrow.

i will add variety of course.