shots?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by kgen4, Oct 11, 2002.

1. kgen4

kgen4 Regular Member

Hi everybody, second post here, just had afew questions if anyone is willing to read and answer. I've been playing for a while and recently i realized that my backhand is somewhat stronger than my forehand, weird! i found out that in the backhard, it was considerably easier to get a fullswing (from ground up), and my hand could snap back easier and faster than forwards. I somewhat understand that the power of a show comes from the swing and speed/snap of the arm/wrist, so i was wondering if anyone could help me with ways to improve my forhand game, any input would be welcome.

Thanks again~

2. xFusion

xFusion Regular Member

wall practice may help =)

3. benfok

benfok Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    IMHO, you should try your forehand swing starting from your torso (upper body), arm, forearm, wrist, and fingers.

If you pay attention with each of these section and understand how to transfer power from your feet to your fingers, you should be able to hit a strong forehand.

You can get fast snapping power from the wrist and the fingers. Don't just use the twisting of the forearm for the forehand shot.

Hope this help.

Ben

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

Wow, welcome to the "backhand" nation!!! I usually "pan handle" my racket in front of the net, and I think my backhand block and drop are much more effective. I think it really depends on different ppl, as long as u think it works for u, it should be a good strategy for urself.

To practice forehand, what I do now, is "force" myself to practice more drive and clear from backcourt using forehand. Eventhough, at the beginning, I was a little bit frustrated about "not effective" to help my partner, but I know that's the necessary progress.

Also, try to give urself more choices when u try to do a net shot. Depend on different angle, and position (u and ur opponent), sometimes, forehand wrist shot if very powerful, too.

Anyways, now, I am not the only one here to rely backhand more than forehand. :D

5. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    Backhand motion is analogous to the "towel snap". think I read that somewhere in the posts earlier.

As for the forehand, you should be using the entire body in the swing and therefore generating the most power you can in the hit. From twisting of your torso, the shoulder rotation, forearm twisting, wrist snapping, and fingers, you should be able to generate a decent amount of power. Perhaps you are only using your arm in forehand? Have someone look at your form and make sure you are using everything you can. Then again having a more powerful backhand can be quite deceptive since that where most people are weak at. could use that to your advantage. :D