Safe string tension

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Blitzzards, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

I currently have my 3UG4 Yonex Nanospeed 9900 strung at 23lbs by default when I bought it. From the feel of the string bed the string seems to have been strung using the "proportional tensioning" method, although my dealer advised me against using that method.

The point is that I plan to restring this racquet, and following my agent's advise, I will have to have it strung at even tension distribution. I would like to know what you guys here think will be a 'safe' tension I can have on my racquet such that I won't have to worry about the frame snapping in case of a clash or miss hit. I was originally planning to have it strung to 24lbs proportional stringing.

By the way my racuqet came with the Yonex NBG 95 and I'm planning to reuse this string model.

Help and advise appreciated.

2. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

1) WOW, you have an agent? What kind? Movie? Just kidding...
    2) Is it new when you bought it? If so, I assume you did not request "proportional tensioning" method. If so 90% chance it was not done in that method because not too many stringers will use that method unless it is specifically requested. Not many know how to do it correct too.
    3) "Safe" is a relative term. Just like s e x, if you don't know who you are dealing with, it is better to stay away and be safe. Just another bad joke. But in all serious term, there is a recommended tension on the racquet cone. It is 19~24lb. So you prob want to stay in that range in case the racquet has a defect and you need a warranty replacement.
    4) What other member here use as a rule of thumb is 2lb or 10% rule. You can do a search on that topic. Anyway. it is for example, you string mains at 22lb and crosses at 24lb. Or 10% higher on the cross.
    5) If you are happy with NBG95, stay with it. People use different string for different reason. I like BG85 because it is thin and rough. While other likes BG80 for better smashing sound. Some other say BG68ti is great for smashing power. Other use BG65 because it is cheaper and durable. You need to pick one that is best for all your needs.

3. Blitzzards

So is 24lbs of tension considered 'safe'? I had a 3UG4 Armortec 700 Ltd strung at 25lbs of tension (also NBG 95) a few weeks ago and the frame snapped at the middle from a clash with my partner (the guy slammed his AT900T into my racquet when I was hitting a backhand; still feeling the frustration from the encounter), even though the maximum tension recommended (on the cone as usual) was 25lbs. So technically speaking if I string my racquet to the maximum warrantied tension am I considered pushing the limit of the 'frame durability safetiness'? Or could it be that the stringer who did my AT700LTD is a total noob? (He broke an AT500 and a new version AT700 when he strung those to around 30lbs, both at the top part of the frames; he actually showed them to me and lectured me about high string tension stringing).

4. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

1) Sorry to hear your AT700ltd loss. In fairness, AT700s is less likely to survive a clash with AT900-p
    2) So if the stringer is know to break 2 perfectly good racquet at 30 lb. Why are you still going back to him? I have done NS9900 at 33 lb and other Yonex at 27 and 28 lb and they have been fine.
    3) The truth is, it is all in the stringing person's experience and skill. How much he know the machine to compansate.
    4) Can you find another stringer in your area?

5. Blitzzards

Thanks for the advises.

I actually only knew that the stringer was a 'moron' when I brought the broken racquet back to the shop. I bought the AT700LTD there so they asked him to string the racquet. It actually broke on the first play.

What I can remember about his stringing method was that he simply just put the strings on without any tensioning process (not sure if he was following the correct Yonex pattern) and then only tighten the string bed to 25lbs THE NEXT DAY. That was when I was in Brunei by the way, and now I'm dealing with an 'agent' in Sydney. I hope I can get a better job on my NS9900.

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Be respect to others, when you clearly do not know his work. :(

Pre-wave is very common in stringing, it will not cause any damage, under the assumption the stringer is doing the right thing. Whether he tension the string on the same day, or 2nd day, or 3 months later, it does not matter, as long as when he started to tension, he finish all the pieces not leave half tensioned and half not on the 2nd day.

Please learn and be sure, before accuse others. :(

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1. So, seems you two clashed when he was hiting forehand (assume he is right handed), and you were hitting backhanded? Unless he is way into your part of coverage, otherwise, it's usually YOUR fault for the clash. :cool: Because in double, if the shot is in the middle, the person with the forehand stroke usually should take the shot, instead of the one with backhand.

2. Clash is never a good indicator about racket's durability or string job quality. If you swing hard, a tennis racket can broke during clash, never to mention badminton racket. You tension can be 15 lb, but if clashed at the wrong spot, it can be gone.

Reading your later posts, I still have a hard time to see why you can use rather biased reasons to accuse the stringer. Of course, I do not know the stringer in person, and maybe he did contribute some fault from his part. However, with your "reasons", I start to think more and more, as it's purely "finger pointing", as you does not know what you are doing, as well. :eek:

8. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

I rarely see rackets with frames broken due to high tension. I do see it, but those are usually very advanced players with definitely over 25lbs tension. I play at about 25lbs crank or 22lbs on a constant pull. I'm pretty emotional when I play much like Roddick in tennis and i get in a good racket toss every now and then, and I still dont break my racket on the ground.

I also dont see a lot of rackets that break due to clashes. I see a lot of clashes, and a lot of paint chips, but usually not a straight clash -> break.

I think your main concern if you string at high (or low) tension is avoiding clashes. In a clash, all bets are off. Im pretty sure even Dink's Ultra will break in clash that would break a ns9900. Dont blame the stringer or string tension in a clash. If your frame is damaged you wont be getting any sort of warranty, but if your frame is clean you could still claim warranty. Lastly, if you want a guaranteed safe range, there is a sticker on your racket that says what its warranted up to. Use that as reference.

9. Blitzzards

The shuttle which I attempted to catch with my backhand was aimed (it was a half-smash/drive) at my left hand (I'm right handed). My partner's racquet came as a total 'intrusion' and I couldn't even see it coming until after I hear the crack from my AT700LTD's frame. I wasn't hanging in mid court either at the time.

The frame clashed at around 2 o'clock, while it broke in the middle at 3 o'clock, so I would'nt have thought that the frame was hit at a weak spot (where tension is highest). Another thing is that he tried a contreversial method which some Bruneians (I'm one actually) seem to favour which shifts the second last string at the bottom of the string bed downwards (so that it looks as if a string pass was missing at the bottom). I specifically TOLD him I wanted the usual one, and he GUARANTEED there will be no problem with this. My friends doubt the actual use of it and all of us think that this actually weakens the frame.

I'mnt blaming him for everything, just that he really should have listened to my requests properly. His breaking of the two NEW Armortecs puts doubt on my part also.

#9 Blitzzards, Jul 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

1. So, you mean you are on the left side, and trying to hit a backhand? Or, you are on the right side of court, to attempt a backhand. If on the right hand side, it's still your partner's shot, instead of yours, assume both have reasonable coverage of the court. Anyway, this is not the key point of the discussion.

2. Whether it's the weak spot, or strong spot, a clash is a clash. I saw tennis racket broke at the throat / handle during a clash in a tennis double game. Clearly, tennis rackets are much stronger than badminton ones. Therefore, relatively strong or weaker spot, nothing is bullet proof in clash.

3. Do a search regarding the "skip cross". It's been discussed numerous times, as it will not really affect anything, regardless playability or durability. Team up with the fact you even question about "pre-weaving", I have to conclude that you seem do not know too much about string racket, and tend to finger pointing to the stringer. :eek:

My point of all these replies, simply saying the major factor for your racket's breakage is the clash. Whether the tenison is high or the stringer's skill, might be very minor compare to the clash. You can have an empty frame with no string at all, it can be broken when you clash or hit the wall something.

11. petert1401

petert1401 Regular Member

Blizzards, out of interest, where in Brunei did you get your racquet strung? Was it in Kiulap by any chance? Just curious as I bought an AT700LTD there and they did a rubbish string job - so bad that I cut the strings as soon as I got the racquet home.

12. Blitzzards

You read my mind. Ridah Enterprise (Kiulap branch), largest Yonex dealer in Brunei IIRC. My friends even laughed at me after the breakage and pointed at the fact that my racquet was lousily strung by an Indian (I don't have a problem with the race, this was my friend's idea anyway).

13. Blitzzards

Hold on a minute. My point of this thread is for me to find out a safe way for me to string my next racquet at a required tension without putting its durability in jeopardy. If I want to talk about the stringer's crap job (not of my concern anyway since the racquet's already broken) the thread would have been "Ridah Ent. did a crap string job, my AT700LTD broke etc".

Please stop distracting me from my original intention.

14. Distanc3

Distanc3 Regular Member

stringer for community centers
    ^ safe tension?

all yonex higher models can withstand 30lbs. its important to know how to take care of your rackets. if you clash with 18lbs strings you can still break the racket.

i would recommend to get your own machine, it'll be more economic in the long run. :D

15. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

kind of off topic here but isn't it a big switch to go from a at700 (the most head heavy yonex racquet) to a ns9900 which is head light ?

Safe stringing tension ?

Probaly 19-25 would be safe as enything more than that would probaly mean that a clash or mishit would result in breakage after one or two occasions

16. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

While, it appears that you still did not get my point at all.

Any well built all graphite rackets (be it Yonex or other reputable manufactures) can take tension of 25 or even 30lbs easily. However, that does not mean 20lbs can take 5 clashes, 25 can take 3, and 30lbs can only take 1. If the clash is hard enough, you can have a racket frame (w/o any string) to break. My point is, your breakage is due to the clash mostly, and 25lbs is quite safe for today's rackets.

Anyway, you did intentional did the finger pointing at the stringer, when you even did not know the "pre-weave" of stringing, and accuse he is a "moron", when his method clearly did NOT have any negative impact on your racket, from what I read in your earlier post. :cool:

17. Blitzzards

I actually bought the NS9900 some months ago before I got the AT700LTD. Both felt almost the same to me actually, only difference is that I find the AT700LTD a bit more tiring to handle as the game progresses.

I'm also currently using a really old Carbonex 15 SP for doubles. The frame is slightly mishapen and bent (the latest stringer had to comment) from I don't remember how many strong clashes I used to have when I was still getting into badminton, not to mention my father has also used to use it (and the clashes etc.) and most of the paint is gone now from all of those clashes. But the thing about this racquet is that it has NEVER been strung ABOVE 21LBS TENSION. It's still as usable as it was, now strung with BG 85 at 21lbs and there's really no visible damage to the frame. The last stringer was actually afraid that the frame may not handle the latest restring but then it did.

18. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I assume the Cab15 is 2U, which by design, it suppose to be more durable than 3U or 4U to begin with. Also, cab series might be the most durable series in Yonex modern ranges, due to it's frame design.