balancing my musculature

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by saifiii, Jul 27, 2009.

1. saifiii

saifiii Regular Member

i didnt care much abt it but its becoming more pronounced. my left(playing) arm is a good 1-2 cm thicker than right with a lot more blood vessels visible. i go to the gym but i believe that bcz of better circulation weight training is still favouring growth on my left arm and right obliques muscle. any advice on how to best train both arms to get them equalised. BTW i play 3-4 days a week,so gym can only be worked out for 2-3 days

2. okieoutie

okieoutie Regular Member

IT
    I am not sure what you have done in the gym in particular. I would use dumbbells instead of barbells with much less weight on the racket arm.

3. Arrg Noooooo...

Arrg Noooooo... Regular Member

Have you tried over working your right arm?

I had to do the same with my legs when i noticed that my left could do considerably more one legged squats than my right.
    I also have the same problem with my arms but thats due to an rsi in my left wrist.

4. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    why are you worried?? all badminton players have a significant difference in 1 arm/shoulder. Its really not that noticeable unless people are looking for it. Dropping the weight wont actually do much and overworking the other arm will leave you susceptable to injury.

If it means that much to you just train 1 arm at gym and your other arm will get all the training it needs at badminton. Once you see it start to even out you can return to training both sides. But the fact remains you will most likely always have 1 arm different in size because of badminton.

5. saifiii

saifiii Regular Member

it looks pretty obvious if i i wear anything loose fit, so i definitely need to do it. although there is a difference in arm size, the bigger arm isnt big in itself, thats why i need to train both arms

6. THEbaschti

THEbaschti Regular Member

yeah like most players i got the same problem and i definitely want to do sth about it cause it looks awkward even if its not that obvious if you dont look for it.

Maybe squash racket training with non-racket arm? you'd be sure to work the same muscles like when you play badminton then. when i do squash racket train, i always do more reps on my left (non racket) arm...it's not enough though to balance out many hours of weekly training so yeah, weight training for the weaker site should be done as well I think

7. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

If this is really bothering you, try the following.

Do arm exercises one arm at a time and always use the weaker arm first. Get as many reps as possible with this arm and then match it with the other arm. This way the weaker arm will be built up while the stronger arm is kept where it is (or just builds slower).

To be honest, though, anything under an inch of difference won't be noticed out in the real world - my right arm is 16.5 inches and my left is 15.75 and while it bothers ME knowing there's a difference, nobody has ever commented on it;).

8. saifiii

saifiii Regular Member

my dad told me my shirt was drooping low over the right shoulder.so when ever i wear any shirt with horizontal lines, it looks like i have a bad posture, which i dont. and i have 2 cm difference in both my shoulders, not so much around biceps

9. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    Just remember you yourself and maybe your parents will notice the difference because you see your body closely every day multiple times. (eg when showering, getting dressed, cleaning your teeth etc etc)
    those who see you once a day at school or at work, or every few days at badminton etc wont notice unless you point it out.

If your really that worried do something similiar to what mark has said.
    EG dumbell curls. Start with say 10kg dumbells (not sure if your strong enough or too strong for this...for me this is very light)

Start with your non-racket arm as mark mentioned. Do as many reps as you physically can. Lets say 10 and then you cant do anymore. Then go to your racket arm. And drop it down by 2 or 3 reps. To 7 or 8. Your arm is already stronger so this should be not a problem.
    20 - 30 seconds rest and do it again. Repeat 3 - 4 times if you can.
    If not just wait till you strengthen up a bit then up your sets.

10. saifiii

saifiii Regular Member

i think im gonna take mark's advice on this one. i used to do my racket arm first and then forcemy non racket arm to somehow match the reps of my racket arm

11. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Is it really that obvious? If your playing arm looks like that of Popeye the Sailorman, then that's the time you should worry. Fu Hai Feng's arm size difference is very significant, but he still looks like human. :)