Which racket for a beginner?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by SaidiStyle, Jul 28, 2009.

1. SaidiStyle

SaidiStyle New Member

IT
    That's it guys I'm taking the dive into Badminton.
    I've always wanted to play it since leaving school but never got round to it due to studies,
    work and evolution into a couch potatoe.
    I always envied the school "heroes" that could hit the shuttle to make it sound like a crack
    of thunder....:eek:

...so now it is my time!
    I have signed up for classes in my local area and they will take place once a week from
    Sept 09 to May 10.
    As long as I’m injury free.. I'm very serious about this sport.
    I have read through some threads from this site but I’m still confused.

Which is the best racket to buy?
    As a beginner, keeping in mind that i will still need to develop my wrist muscles and general skills - I don't mind paying a little extra if it means my new found skills will be better used with a more suitable racket.
    I was thinking of buying the Yonex Nanospeed 500, it's light, and flexible which i understand
    is important if your wrist muscles are not strong enough.
    Is this a good choice?
    It costs £50 so it's not too expensive.

At some point in the future when I have developed my strength and skill i would like to be
    able to hit the shuttle and get that "thunder" sound, how can that sound be achieved?
    What type of racket do i need? Is it a stiff racket with highly strung strings?

Cheers!

2. santhoshbhoopal

santhoshbhoopal Regular Member

depends you want only yonex racket?

3. BoyGenius

BoyGenius Regular Member

Employee
    Yonex Nanospeed 500 is definitely a good starter pack. The price is reasonably friendly and the performance is not bad either - and generally it is suitable for those who are in training stage. Other than NS500, there are quite a number of Yonex series at similar price range such as: Armortec 70, Muscle Power 10 LT or slightly higher price like AT250 LTD or Muscle Power Limited. Other than Yonex, you can give a go for Apacs rackets as well.

Since you are in a pursuit of finding your playing style, I would recommend to go for any of those. Once you've found your style; then you can look for advance racket. It's the skill that determine the game, racket is simply an icing on the cake.

Thunderous smashing sound is generally achieved when the shuttlecock is hit at the right time and at the right spot. A Highly strung head-heavy racket will compliment the resonance.

4. SaidiStyle

SaidiStyle New Member

IT

yeah, I've always liked yonex rackets for some reason.

5. SaidiStyle

SaidiStyle New Member

IT
    Hi BoyGenius

Thanks for the advice. During my training I will try various rackets.
    I contacted a store near where I live and there doesn't seem to be one racket that is a compromise of power and flexibility. So it's either Armourtec 70 if you like smashing with power & speed. Or NS500 if you are a defensive player and need an agile \ flexible racket to support your style of play.

I will keep reading peoples replies here and decide after I've tested a few but so far I think I will go for the NS500 as im a beginner. Once i get really good with wrists movement & power then i'll upgrade to something that'll allow me to smash really hard and strike fear into my oponent. ;-)

Thanks for the tip! :cool:

6. BoyGenius

BoyGenius Regular Member

Employee
    It's a fair assessment. Generally, Armortec series are head-heavy rackets which suitable for attack-minded player who loves to smash; while Nanospeed series are more toward control and agility; hence allowing you to execute a quick manuver. Muscle Power (MP) series on the other hand, are well-balanced rackets.

However, that is just a simplified generic guideline. Unfortunately (or fortunately :cool:), there are lots of variation within the same series. For instance, MP99 is a well-balance head-heavy racket; while MP 88 is rather head-light.

Again, I think with NS500, you will do just fine. Happy training!

7. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

nanospeed 500 is a decent started racquet
    However I would like to recommend a racquet I think would be really good for you
    The yonex muscle power 22 light
    Even balanced which means that you get good manuecerabillity without comprimising on power and also is medium flexabillity which is the same as the ns500 so you can improve your wrist strengh
    Just a suggestion but I think it is good choice only about £25 so you aren't breakin the bank either colour scheme is black and gold

#7 LD rules!, Jul 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  8. Alom

Alom Regular Member

I agree with LD rules! I also think the MP21 Light is a good racket to start with. Cheap and looks good!!

9. asian_manish

asian_manish Regular Member

Student
    seriously my first racket was Slazenger Power Blade ultra and seriously it was the best begginer racket ever!!! It was light easy to control. It has everything for a begginer racket but unfortunatly they are rare to find. I got mine at Sportsdirect they have a website i think. Luckily the one i got was the last one :D
    but if u can get ur hand on a Slazenger Power Blade ultra u will be pleased

10. Lordofthefart

Lordofthefart Regular Member

Student
    yo my first racquet was like this all metal beast that when i look back, a 6 year old kids should not be playing with something that weighed half of a tennis racquet lolol

11. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Regular Member

Consultant