Do you give up in a match?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Capnx, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

Do you "give up" in a match if you're losing really bad, like trailing over 5 or 10 points?

I find that if the other team has like over a 10point lead over us, I start to make stupid risky shots to try to earn cheap points, like smashing when I shouldn't, or play really close to the lines, or do really tight drop/net shots.

is this a mental/psychological defeat? Half the time I do it because my partner starts to play loose too when we're losing, lol, so we lose twice as fast, lol

2. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    i sure do that. If i see the points are far, and itz close to game end, then sure.
    But only if thatz the first set or if there is going to be 3rd set.

3. saifiii

saifiii Regular Member

i start practicing anything new i might have learned or try and concentrate on footwork and clear everything that comes my way to prolong the rally

4. habsq

habsq Regular Member

Student
    I did, but only in singles and my opponent is far better than me and I had already exhausted. Typically I played the match with the intention of getting over it instead of trying to get some points.

I don't like it though, should develop a better mentality...

5. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Generally I find if am losing that badly, I try and kill the shuttle a lot more often but it usually doesnt work cause Im smashin when I shudnt b!

I used to give up if I was way behind and not try too hard but now I ave the mentality that its not over til its over & I dont want to lose too badly cause it makes me look bad.

I was playin in a comp and I was being absolutely thrashed and in the last game, I fought back & won 5 points in a row before I lost. But I got whipped like 21 - 5 & 21 - 13. Reali felt reali bad cause I shudnt ave been beaten that badly!

6. justinwyyau

justinwyyau Regular Member

Husband and Dad
    No, I don't. I feel that when you are losing, that is the best time to push your mental strength; to practice consistency and performing under pressure. Your level of concentration and effort should be the same, if not more, than when it was at 0-0.

But that is just me :)

Justin

7. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    I never let the game go..if its 15-0 i still try as hard as i can to get the points right until he wins the game....then the match.
    Lapsing in mental concentration and giving yourself excuses to do so will only weaken your game and mental edge over the other competitors.

Never give up.

8. Mathieu

Mathieu Regular Member

Student
    I find that I play better when I play against some opponents that are way better than me. I try to go for every shot and play my best, no matter what the score is. In the end, if I played well, no matter what the score was, I will be happy with myself (obviously winning is always the most interresting option;))

9. hiroisuke

hiroisuke Regular Member

Student
    There are some interesting points brought up here. I vary it with different situations, and I'm sure that thinking through the situation objectively, there should be no issue with it.

For fairly serious and serious games, I am willing to throw away the second game if I can take the third. Of course, I try to waste as much of my opponent's energy as possible, but I don't go for the victory during that game. If it's the third game, I'll go all out. Also, if it's not particularly important, I sometimes go all out, especially if I have something to learn from the game.

10. joker8baller

joker8baller Regular Member

I don't give up, I just play a lot more riskier shots, and will tend to be more offensive.

11. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

I second hiroisuke.

When it's a serious game, i may gave up my second game, if i have won the first. otherwise, for the last game, i would play as good as i can get.

if it's more like a practice game, I would see who i am playing against, and may do practice or go all out to push myself harder than usual.

overall, you should have a strategy throughout the games and practice anyway.

12. 7SamuraiX

7SamuraiX Regular Member

Never give up

that is one of my rules when i play badminton
    Remember the Malaysia open 06 MS finals?
    at the last game, LCw came bck from 13 - 20 to win 23 21 against LD :eek:

therefore, i will strive for each and every point

13. keith.roche

keith.roche Regular Member

I would give up if I cant move on court, but that happens only if my opponent is VERY strong.
    I remember playing a match against my coach and I was so tired that I couldnt MOVE towards the shuttle, by the middle of a game. And then I gave up.

But if I can move well, but still losing, I would NEVER give up. :D

14. darkwingduck

darkwingduck Regular Member

Nothing
    When Im losing I still play like normal to make my loss look better :D

15. mettayogi

mettayogi Regular Member

I had come back from 14-20 to 23-21 in singles game because I didn't give up.

In a tournament that's not single elimination, I may give up a match if I'm too far behind to conserve energy for the following matches.

16. Terraglow

Terraglow Regular Member

Students
    errr, maybe if i get terrible injury in the middle of the game, i will give up

17. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

I think the real question is why would you give up? Of course I would give up the 2nd match if I won the first and it would mean I could win the 3rd, but if I still had a good chance I would still try. Its not about doing your best in competition, its also about strategy and conserving energy to have a better more focused 3rd is a long term strategy although it comes with its drawbacks of course. If playing your hardest in the 2nd meant going all out and possibly losing, and then because you are too tired you would definitely lose the 3rd then no do not try, wait. Even in battle the best move isnt always attack.

18. xiaoheng

xiaoheng Regular Member

nope i won't... but if is 20-1 than maybe :rolleyes::rolleyes:... sometimes give up might be a good choice too... exp: u won the 1st match but at the 2nd match u r 4-18 why not give up:rolleyes:... u can save alot of energy and fight back in the 3rd match...

19. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    i might give up on a set, if i'm playing badly. I'll often try to play really slow and consistently so that next set, I'll be in form and hopefully will have tired my opponent out. Otherwise, I rarely give up games completely. There's no point in giving up.

20. HicHic

HicHic Regular Member

I try to move my opponent around the court to tire them out, so I have an advantage on the second game.