fault or not?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by samohtom, Oct 12, 2002.

1. samohtom

samohtom Regular Member

Shuttle is hit around the edge of the post, lands in, but was below net height in passing around the post. Is it a fault? Which law covers this?

T

2. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    It's a fault and is covered under law 13.2.2 passes through or under the net

It's not a fault if the shuttle passes over the net but on the outside (usually means that the player hit the shuttle from outside the boundary lines).

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Agree.

As long as it under the net, I think it should be fault.

4. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    it's a fault if it goes below the net. hmm, why would someone hit a shot from there anyway? that's a good distance out of the playing area. Unless there is some trick curve shot. :D

5. samohtom

samohtom Regular Member

fault or not

I should clarify - it went around the edge of the post so it was neither "through or under the net" to quote law 13.2.2

T

6. mokkelbo

mokkelbo Regular Member

The laws doesn't say anything about this. If this happend in a match the shuttle must been hit outside the court. Since the player who hit the shuttle so it went outside the court this player would anyway lost the point/serve. Its not a fault

7. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    I dont know about badminton...

but i remember watching tennis one of the games back a while where Agasi (i think it was him) played someone else... the opponant did a cross cort shot and Agasi hit the ball from out of bounds, it passed outside the post and landed in, ended up being the winning shot for the point... Dont know if it's the same in badminton tho...

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Re: I dont know about badminton...

But is that ball under the height of the net or above it? I can understand it, if that's above the height of the net.

9. mokkelbo

mokkelbo Regular Member

But Badminton and Tennis is very different in this case. This because tennis is allowed to bounce once in the ground.

10. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Re: Re: I dont know about badminton...

I think it was below net level...

11. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    comparing to another sport that the ball doesn't hit the ground, volleyball. In volleyball, you have to hit the ball over the net and not around the pole.

You shouldn't be able to hit a shot outside the pole and under the net and get it in. First, the shot is under the net, 2nd, you shouldn't hit from there anyway. The entire person would have to be in out-of-bound to hit a shot like that. In that case, you already won the point, why would you even attempt a shot like that?

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    jwu, while i agree with you from the sensical point of view. i still think the rule should cover all cases. it doesn't make sense does not mean no one will do it. a good set of rule should cover all situations and it should handle this situation in case some guy was so blind he doesn't know where he is standing at.

13. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    what you say is true and judging from the rule, since the shot goes below the net, it should count as a fault then. Maybe a slight revision or better clarification to the rule is needed.

14. Sheldon

Sheldon Regular Member

Student
    Cambridge, UK (heh..only a sixth form college tho)
    Nope

I'm sure i read that this sort of shot isn't a fault. Surely to hit a shot from there would be rather stupid as it would obviously be out. The shuttle did not did or go under the net, just around. Same as in tennis. In volleyball you're not allowed to do this cos then your team can tee up to the extreme left or right and you get an easy point. Badminton only allows one hit and since to hit this shot the shuttle would have crossed the sidelines (if the posts are in the right place) it would have been a fault.

15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Hi Samohtom

I think I've got the answer for you. It is found in Steven Boga's handbook on "Badminton" (page 85 No. 5 for the question and page 87 No 5a for the answer)and I quote:

Question: During a fast-paced rally, a player, not realizing the shuttle will land well out of bounds, drives the bird down her right sideline. It travels below net level to the right of the net pole and lands in the back corner of the opponent's court. What's the call?

a. Award the rally to the striking player.
    b. Award the rally to the defending player.
    c. Call a let.

The Answer is 5a. and the reasons are:

"The only time the shuttle is required to pass directly over the net is during service (Law 11.1.6). During a rally, the shuttle may legally travel over the net or at any height around the net pole. It is a fault if the shuttle travels under or through the net (Law 15.4.2)."

Tricky question but not for Mr Boga who makes it so clear for us when he dissects and refers to the other aspects of the Law on Service (Law 11) and on Faults (Law 15). Come to think of it, it is darn hard to score such a point!

16. wira

wira Regular Member

Loh and Sheldon are correct; it is not a fault.

17. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    Enlighten once again, well I guess it only makes sense for the striker to be awarded the point since he or she wouldn't won the point anyway if he or she did not play that shot.

18. pieterlewis

pieterlewis Regular Member

Re: I dont know about badminton...

No its not the same, badminton requires ability!! :D
    Seriously though I like watching tennis and Agassi is a star, but its overrated, badminton takes a lot more skill than tennis, as well as a lot more endurance, etc, etce and doesn't even get half the recognition!