trouble with basic form....

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by macatawa, Jul 29, 2009.

1. macatawa

macatawa Regular Member

I tried to locate the answer to my question by doing a search but no luck...so here it is:

I am in the process of trying to learn (and too much re-learning) proper basic technique on a straight-forward shot to opponent. I currently play with some amazing players who are all very eager to help me but it seems sometimes they may have interesting variations on what is "best practice"

One example (and the main one for now) is a basic overhead blow (clear, smash, whatever) which is illustrated but the following graphic from another thread here at BC:

[​IMG]

All of the upper body technique in this illustration is agreed on consistently by the best players HOWEVER...all adamently disagree with the postion of the right leg upon execution...

The above is natural for me as I played alot of baseball in my youthful days where the throwing action, including follow-through places all balance and power on the left leg. I am frustratingly trying to un-learn this for a change to proper technique but in the process, I encounter a deadly mental block...sometimes to the point where I cannot make the shot at all:(

Question is, how important is the right leg movement forward as part of the whole shot?

2. ahaaee

ahaaee Regular Member

It's very important in my view. You can only experience the real difference when you're practising (or from coaching). If you're just mostly playing matches with other players, you tend to getting use to wrong techniques. Even with some basic foot work practising, you'll pick up such tiny detail as moving the right leg over.

3. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    well as in my OPINION, the right leg end up infront is because of the momentum, and it creates more power. You can test it out by doing it, try to smash the bird in 3 positions.
    1 left leg in front and smash the bird (the legs stay at the same position) and then try the other way around right leg infront. (again legs stay the same position)
    last left leg first then at the same time you smash the bird move your leg forward, see which one will creates the most power shots.

4. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    It is the best way to learn it but a lot of times in a match, and u will even c the pros doin this, there is no time to move the right leg forward so therefore the shot has to b hit when the right foot is landing at the back.

example - lee chong wei vs peter gade -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4w4e1ukwzo&NR=1
    lee chong wei - time 37 secs

He hasnt got the time here so has has to do it like this but because these pros have so much power and great technique, either hitting shot on landin with right foot back or hitting shot when bringing right foot forward is both acceptable

Saying this thou it is preferable to hit with ur right leg coming forward as it generates more power and it automatically brings u back to base

5. Firedrive

Firedrive Regular Member

Project Manager - Hotel Logistic

I agree with gamepurpose. For a normal smash or clear, the movement is actually very similar. The best method is the crossaction.

When the bird is coming, you have to stand sideway (with your left leg infront) and NOT square. Right with the impact of the shuttle, the right leg comes forward and the left leg goes back. With this method, you are not only using your hand but also the rotation of your body and can use the full body weight for a more powerfull smash or clear.

6. ahaaee

ahaaee Regular Member

You're in that situation because the opponent outwitted you to force you to return less than ideal shot. Great techniques give you the best possible power that you can generate in a shot. It also equates to the perfect timing of the shot which you won't get that when you opponent outwitted you into that situation.

7. macatawa

macatawa Regular Member

Thanks to all for comments.

Seems I can use the proper form of whole body action when I have the time to react

then do whatever I can with those tough and quick, off balance shots. Another problem I am having, seemingly related to this form is the past two days of hard hitting long and high clears (practice with form) I have a very sore shoulder. Guess I gotta take a hard look at everything I do now....wish I could find an english speaking coach here in China.

Oh well, back to digging for more info. I have really enjoyed BC these past few days...lots of good people with lots of help. I appreciate y'all!

8. gingerphil79

Sports massage therapist
    Yea but very rarely am I or from wot I can c is most pros able to use the "proper" footwork cause most clears r attacking. The only time I can use proper footwork is if clear is a defensive clear or my base is a bit further back of the court.

Most times the pros wil use this shot of hitting the birdie when the right foot hits the ground at the back. The reason I was told not to do that was cause before I cudnt get the power into my shot which I now can without any issues :D.

But there is no doubt it is easier and can get more power being able to bring the right foot forward into the shot, only issue is, it is slower than the other method, only downside, so al depends if u ave lot of time or not

9. gingerphil79

Sports massage therapist
    read this post

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73234

This is the slow motion footwork of lin dan and lee chong wei. Study it, copy it and do it, understand it. I learned a lot from these videos, ave already dramatically increased speed of my overhead footwork from watchin lin dan!

Hope this helps

Use the search button in top right of page to look up footwork etc, plenty of info on this site, Ive learned a lot since I joined

Thanks BC :D

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Rotation of the hip bringing the right foot forwards is a very basic movement. The movement very slightly precedes the shoulder movement. If you master this for doing high clears, then you start to understand the power in the stroke.

You can see the movement in this clip of women's doubles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCGnnvU_fV4

In Hong Kong, to become a coach, you have to understand this movement and be able to perform it. Otherwise, you will not proceed. One of my fellow players can hit the shuttle very well for clears but doesn't perform the right leg properly. Therefore, he was failed on technique and could not progress onto to getting a coaching certificate.

Now, if you master this movement, you find it is the same as for smashes and for dropshots. Therefore, the potential for you to disguise your shots goes up dramatically.

#10 Cheung, Jul 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I do think you have to be rather careful. The footwork will be different according to the flight of the shuttle.

In this particular thread, the question is about the basic action. If you look at the games of Lin Dan, he actually doesn't perform the rotation of the "right" (i.e. his left) leg forward very often. LD's footwork is for very fast, flat shuttles and is not the basic action.

So, I would not ask the OP to copy this footwork without specifying which part of the clip to study.

I entirely agree with what you write in post 8 of this thread.

#11 Cheung, Jul 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  12. ahaaee

ahaaee Regular Member

I agree with you. When you're short of time, you can only do the best you can and hope for the best.
    Besides there'll always be someone out there to push the boundary for you.

13. macatawa

macatawa Regular Member

And Thanks Gingerphil!!
    Takes a burden off...now I can work on other issues.:p

14. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

There are different footwork patterns, depending on the situation. You might want to read this page from my footwork guide: footwork to the forehand rear corner.

When you have time, use the "arc step" footwork so that you can get fully behind the shuttle with your body aligned to hit forwards (legs/chest turned parallel to the sidelines). This position allows for the most powerful smash.

In this situation, your feet should be off the ground when you hit the shuttle, with your racket foot coming forwards in the air (a scissor jump). If you leave the foot behind, your body rotation is limited; you will lose some power and your recovery will be slower.

You would only leave your racket foot behind if you are forced to use the "step out" footwork pattern. This happens a lot in singles, where a player has little time to reach the rearcourt in response to the opponent's flat clears or lifts.

15. macatawa

macatawa Regular Member

Cheung...you make perfect sense and yes, my question was regarding basic technique.

I feel the need to learn proper foundational skill for two reasons: The first was to avoid injury and the second was to pave the way to a good game. I really enjoy the game. Presently my right shoulder is sore and my right forearm is also tender. I was told it was because my technique was wrong as I was relying too much on my muscle and ignoring the benefit of body monentum.

On the subject of video.....here in China, Youtube is filtered out so opportunities to actually "see" examples are few.

16. macatawa

macatawa Regular Member

great!

Gollum..this is good info although I will need to start at the beginning to fully understand some terms. I appreciate it...will be a great help to me for sure!:D

17. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    Again this is base on my opinion, it might be wrong.
    If you have not ever play badminton, or all suddenly u come back to badminton, and only your shoulder muscle is sore, that's mean your technique is wrong.
    The right technique should be using all of your component, or human body? watever, to hit the bird.
    Imagine a white line of energy is being transfer through your body and into the racquet head to hit the bird.
    leg, back, shoulder, tricep, bicep, forearm, wrist, and the racquet.

I hope i'm right =)
    but yea that's what i think

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

It sounds like you are trying to rely on muscle strength to do the clear.

One aspect is to do the correct rotation.

The other thing I would have you look at is your use of muscle strength. Try to have a relaxed motion when you swing the racquet. It's only at impact, then you should tense and also pronate your wrist and hand (and t'fore the racquet head).

You are probably trying too hard at the moment. One way would be to try for 3/4 length clears initially with relaxed swings, then adjust your technique slightly trying to see which adjustments produce better outcomes.

Good luck!

19. macatawa

macatawa Regular Member

Yes...trying too hard for sure! I think now the pressure is off because I now know that muscle is only half of the equation. Will start tomorrow with short, relaxed clears...take it from there.

Thanks for the advice!