Changing racquets in the middle of a rally

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by 7SamuraiX, Jul 30, 2009.

1. 7SamuraiX

7SamuraiX Regular Member

changing racquets in the middle of a rally, is it really ok? :eek:

I saw it twice in the NZ open games that i watched just now, the details can be found in my post in http://www.badmintonforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1218843#post1218843

Possibily was motivated by broken strings?
    Also, let us know if you had any previous experience of it :D

Mayb i think dere should b a patented technique for "racquet changing in rally" :p

2. hiroisuke

hiroisuke Regular Member

Student
  3. 7SamuraiX

7SamuraiX Regular Member

i see they were all done in a MD match
    any records of it being done in a singles match?

4. singnflip4life

singnflip4life Regular Member

Full Time Med Student
    I don't see how you'd have time to pull this off in an MS match. Granted MX and MD are much quicker than MS, but there about 2-4 hits by the partner in each example I saw. So unless you hit an unbelievably high clear, once the opponent sees you running off the court, he'd probably hit a quick net drop or smash to the farthest corner.

And as for it being legal, since there has been examples of this done before, there is precedence for it to be allowed. However, I was reading the BWF's rulebook, and it says the player cannot leave the court for any reason unless specifically allowed by the umpire. Whether the "court" is restricted to the playing area or includes the area where equipment is kept is something that I don't know myself. If the former, then its most certainly illegal to leave the court to change the racquet. If the latter, than it is most certainly legal.

Unless the umpire/referree circumvents the whole matter by declaring it an acceptable reason to leave before the match.

I've certainly taken to leaving the handle of my back-up racket sticking out of my bag for a

5. singnflip4life

Full Time Med Student
    I don't see how you'd have time to pull this off in an MS match. Granted MX and MD are much quicker than MS, but there about 2-4 hits by the partner in each example I saw. So unless you hit an unbelievably high clear, once the opponent sees you running off the court, he'd probably hit a quick net drop or smash to the farthest corner.

And as for it being legal, since there has been examples of this done before, there is precedence for it to be allowed. However, I was reading the BWF's rulebook, and it says the player cannot leave the court for any reason unless specifically allowed by the umpire. Whether the "court" is restricted to the playing area or includes the area where equipment is kept is something that I don't know myself. If the former, then its most certainly illegal to leave the court to change the racquet. If the latter, than it is most certainly legal.

Unless the umpire/referree circumvents the whole matter by declaring it an acceptable reason to leave before the match.

I've certainly taken to leaving the handle of my back-up racket sticking out of my bag for a quick grab though ^_^. always be prepared XD

6. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Off court means in those buckets where they put their bags. Though if you notice carefully, sometimes you'll see some doubles players putting spare racquets on the ground next to the court....so they can quickly exchange.

7. singnflip4life

Full Time Med Student
    Ah I see. Thanks for the clarification. One of the examples though had a guy actual run out to his bag, rummage around for a second, pull out his racket, and continue te rally, eventually winning the point on his smash. Wouldn't that be considered illegal then?

Of course, I may be wrong in my recall of the video.

8. 7SamuraiX

7SamuraiX Regular Member

I think it should be considered legal if the player goes off court to change racquet n den bck to court to continue the rally
    Techinicially, the player is not disturbing play by leaving the court which could be the reason the rule was created in the 1st place