Racket for returning Intermediate Defensive play?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Frankyg, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Frankyg

Frankyg New Member

Hi,

I'm getting back into badminton after a few years away.
    Used to play about 4 hrs a week, just casual games with friends no competitions.

Anyway…I never really spent very much on rackets, but spent a bit of time developing my accuracy and shot placement. Not really a big hitter, although would definitely like to improve my attacking game. Probably use my arm a bit more than the wrist, but contstantly trying to get more snap into my attacking shots. I think that I generate a fair amout of head speed (currently with a Carlton Classic graphite 95g?!) and I'm pretty fast around the court.

I suppose I would class my play as defensive, and I do (or at least did!) have a good touch at the net.

I had been looking at a Karakal sl-70 for £43 (UK), but I've got gift vouchers for a department store who carry the Yonex Nanospeed 500 (£50) and the Carlton Aeroblade ISO TT (£27 on sale).

So - I think I would benefit from a racket which will allow me to continue with my defensive style of play, but allow some decent power as I develop my strength, wrist action and timing. Would any of the above three rackets be close to that? Or would you suggest something else?

I play 70% singles, 30% doubles and would like to keep the budget to around £60 ukp.

Thanks

2. Frankyg

Frankyg New Member

Nobody got any advice for me then :confused:

3. Alom

Alom Regular Member

Hi,

From what you have mentioned and a bit of quick research:

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=103

The racket is a good all-rounder. "The racquet is not suitable for long rally's or powerful shots".
    The Karakal SL-70 is not a bad racket based on your budget. But it could be a little too light for you because you have been using such a heavy racket.

Something along a 3U would be perfect for you (84 - 89g unstrung). With medium flex and evenly balanced.

Yonex Nanospeed 500 or the Carlton Aeroblade ISO TT would be a better choice. I think the Carlton Aeroblade ISO TT is slightly lighter but you wont be able to tell much of a difference in 2gms between the NS500 and Carlton A ISO TT if your coming down from 95grams.

There are other rackets out there that would easily fit your bill, but your asking a simple question with soo many products to choose from.