Is Flexible okay for a beginner?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by cali_n0ob, Jul 30, 2009.

1. cali_n0ob

cali_n0ob Regular Member

Because usually you're suppose to have a "heavier" racket..
    but my racket is exrtremely light.
    And I don't want to go and buy another one when I will eventually go back to the lighter one later on.

So my question is: "Can beginners use light (head light to be specific) rackets and improve and be consistent?"

t.i.a. (=

2. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    It is individual.. Light racket with head heavy balance and high flex shaft is usally a good learning racket.. imop

/T

3. hunterkillerz

hunterkillerz Regular Member

Student
    imo, the reason why beginners should start with flexible racquets is because stiffer racquets require proper usage of the wrist to transfer power otherwise you'd get no power.

4. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    Beginners should NOT use heavy and stiff racquets. Usually, beginners stick with not to flex, and not to head-heavy or head-light racquets because they are at the learning stage, they will not know which racquet suits them more until they go up the level.

If you want an example, I think the Yonex Isometric 75 MF LT would be the one.

5. Alom

Alom Regular Member

I agree. Or yonex muscle power 22 light. Evenly balanced & medium flex.

6. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Regular Member

Consultant
    a racket that is too light might be bad for learning properly. an overall heavier racket will tend to promote the proper learning and retention of technique, if taught properly. light/head-light rackets tend to make it easier for bad habits to be picked up when you don't have all the basics, because people will tend to take advantage of the lightness of the racket in the wrong way (like reaching behind them and snapping their wrist a lot, instead of working on proper footwork to get into position). a very flexible racket for a beginner is also optimal. hope that helps!