smaller grip?

Discussion in 'Grip' started by KraziexViet, Aug 1, 2009.

1. KraziexViet

KraziexViet Regular Member

so i wanted to make my grip smaller so i removed the factory grip and im just wondering if anyone ever thought about the grip breaking? because i have to say... the factory grip is wrapped PRETTY TIGHT. any thoughts guys?

2. decoy

decoy Regular Member

Only thing I would worry about is the handle breaking not the grip. If you take the factory grip off and dont put anything between the grip and the wooden handle it's a recipe for disaster. If the grip is too absorbent then the moisture will get into the grip and rot away the wood. You can avoid this by using tape I can't remember what kind is the best but most kinds should work. I think electrical would be fine but you might want to change it ever so often. Hope this helps and as for the grip breaking I don't think its a good chance but idk.

3. wannaliquorbox

wannaliquorbox Regular Member

just use a palm plane to shave the handle. i recently did mine. remember to use a table clamp to ensure the racket is secure and you are planing true to the bevels. its very easy. it helps to have an old racket with a handle that is the right size as a reference so you can compare measurements. make sure you are comfortable using a palm plane before starting.

or get a new racket with the right grip size. i had to do mine because because the rackets were on sale, but they didnt have the right size grips.

4. KraziexViet

right now all i have is the bare wood wrapped in supergrap, ac102ex i think o_O is that the recipe for disaster you were talking about? you think any kind of tape will work?

5. decoy

decoy Regular Member

could be. i think electric tape should be fine but i have no experience with it im half quoting a guy on it. so ask around and you might find the answers but from what i hear your cooking up trouble. (like the cooking puns :p?)

6. wannaliquorbox

overgrip on wood is just too hard on the hand, for me anyways. i prefer to have a proper (original/replacement) grip, and overgrip (grip tape). btw, if anyone in vancouver area needs to have their handle size reduced, drop me a line.

7. KraziexViet

and how exactly are you going to do that?

8. wannaliquorbox

as described in post #3.