Is the racket the same with different grip sizes - G3/4/5?

Discussion in 'Grip' started by iFinale, Aug 2, 2009.

1. iFinale

iFinale Regular Member

Student
    As title - is the racket identical among G3/4/5 versions? In that case wouldn't different grip sizes lead to a slight difference in the balance point of the racket?

On the other hand if the racket were the same wouldn't everyone want to start off with a smaller grip and gradually increase size, compared to having started off with a large grip size without being able to size down?

2. KraziexViet

KraziexViet Regular Member

i dont know if this answers your question but....

recently i removed the factory grip from one of my rackets because i preffer g4 over g3 and i noticed that it was head heavier once the factory grip was off.

3. kazibul

kazibul Regular Member

remove my k-tour ( head heavy) original grip and replace with yonex aerotec grip..the result more head heavy and smashing power increase..no affect on my defend..still the same although the head more heavy....

4. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

well isn't that obvious as if you remove weight from the grip side then the racket is now more head heavier because you have taken off weight and not replaced it

5. BoyGenius

BoyGenius Regular Member

Employee
    IMHO, racket will feel slightly different between various grip sizes - but of course so much depending on player's palm size as well. Generally, using smaller grip size will skew the balance point toward the head of the racket. I am experiencing greater power when smashing and better manuverability whife defending using smaller sized grip. However, smaller grip tends to be little shaky when comes to net playing. In addition, too small grip will potentially spin when hitting the shuttle

Go with smaller grip and gradually increase the thickness level of course is a good idea to find your comfort thickness level, but once you find your comfortable grip size; getting the right grip size will provide you with solid feeling preventing the racket to spin when hitting the shuttle

6. iFinale

iFinale Regular Member

Student
    so with that being said... then shouldn't most of us be opting for a G5 then gradually increasing grip size?

I mean I don't really see the advantage of a bigger piece of wood (which could be easily compensated with wrapping more overgrips) or is it just cos most people can't be bothered?

7. newb123

newb123 Regular Member

bigger piece of wood give u better feel on the racket(more solid)~~newbie opinion

8. Deathsticks

Deathsticks Regular Member

physicly yes
    the smaller the grip more swing power
    the bigger the grip less swing power?

9. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Rackets should be the same, no matter what their grip size (rackets that are the same, barring grip size should have the same static weight and balance). They will feel different in your hand though due to the different sizes of the grips.

10. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    They drill holes in the wood, so that the approx BP is the same. So that means a 3UG4 MP99 should have the same bp as a 3UG5....

BTW, G5 + 2 overgrips feels worse than G4 with 1... the balance point gets screwed up and you lose feel because there is more dampening.