Stringing tension question

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by wunderbar, Oct 14, 2002.

1. wunderbar

wunderbar Regular Member

Hi,
    I notice that generally the 2U Yonex racquets have recommended tensions that are generally higher than the 3U. Is this because the frame is heavier?
    Eg. Yonex MP-100
    3U Main: 16-18 lbs. (7-8 kg)
    Cross: 18-20 lbs. (8-9 kg)
    2U Main: 18-20 lbs. (8-9 kg)
    Cross: 20-22 lbs. (9-10 kg)

I also noticed that the Titanium series such as the Ti-7 and Ti-5 Light have quite low recommended tensions:
    Ti-7: Main: 16-18 lbs. (7-8 kg)
    Cross: 18-20 lbs. (8-9 kg)

Ti-5: Main: 14lbs -16lbs
    Cross: 16-18lbs

Would it be safe to string the Ti-5 or T-7 at 21-22lbs? Does anyone have any of these raquets and would like to share their experience?

2. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    Yes, as I understand it, 2U racquets are heavier (and sturdier?) than 3U racquets so they can take a little extra tensioning. I don't own any Ti racquets so I can't help you there.

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Personally, I believe that 21-22 lb is very "safe"range for any racket. But once u put 25+ lbs on ur racket, maybe u should start to think about the "damage" that the string can bring.

I know a lot of ppl from this forum DO put 24, 25+ lbs, but I guess they just take some risk for particular purpose (more smashing power??? more control??? not sure...)

4. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    It's pretty safe to string a racquet at 20-22 lbs, unless it is an aluminum one. 2U is heavier and sturdier and hence more tensioning is allowed. The Ti racquets are suppose to be stronger isn't it? Kinda weird that you would actually recommend less tensioning on something that is suppose to be stronger. well, not sure about that one.

5. Kc_uk

Kc_uk Regular Member

Student
    Actually the tension stated on the rackets are only a factory recommendation. You can string the rackets to very high tensions. But beware too much and you risk causing too much stress for the frame.

I know a professional stringer, he has actually strung rackets for many internationals. Players like Candra Widjaya and Sigit Buriato had their rackets strung up to 28-30 pounds. So the racket can take the strain, thanks to all these new stronger materials.

The thing that you need to be aware of is the damage you can do you yourself when you have such a high tension on your racket. You might get optimum power when you hit the shuttle correctly on the sweet spot, but if you don't, you risk causing an injury to your arm. The guy who strings the rackets have seen many players who once get off the court apply ice packs to their shoulders/arms, they do go through alot of punishment.

6. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    Generally 20-22 lbs is what most stringers will recommend as a max tension for most racquets. Depending on the strings, thinner strings like BG-68Ti and the BG-80, 85 need to be strung at higher tension (25ish or higher) to be really effective. As for any tension 26lbs or higher, I'd think twice before doing that to most racquets except maybe the CP, CN and other racquets that are known to be able to handle those kinda tension.

7. Yong

Yong Regular Member

ICT consultant
    What is your thought behind this ?
    From my point of view, a thinner string at a certain tension is tighter than a thicker string at the same tension, and coming from thicker strings (0.70) like BG65 and BG65-ti, i like the BG80 (0.68).

For years i played with a rather low tension of +- 18 lbs
    Experimenting for half a year now, and at the moment i prefer a tension of +- 21 lbs.
    I tried +- 23 lbs, but i (still) don't like it that much.
    But playing with +- 21 lbs, i enjoy the thin string.

Maybe humidity level plays a role in playing at low tensions. In Europe it's kinda dry compared to Asia or America. I read somewhere that it has influence in such a way that people in 'wet' countries use higher tension than people in 'dry' countries.
    Besides, i notice during play in league, in every other accomodation playing feels different. Of course there are many other factors as kind of shuttles used, size of the accomodation etc. but sometimes you really notice difference in 'home accomodation humidity' just by breathing.

Also (well, getting off topic, but okay), when i take a guess that there are +- 150 people players in the Netherlands that are realy concerned to put in a high tension (23+), the real number of players is probably less rather than more.

8. modious

modious Regular Member

I believe it's safe to string your racket at 21-22lbs. I've strung my 3U MP88 at 25lbs before.

Agree with Yong that thinner strings at a certain tension will feel tighter than thicker strings at the same tension.

I've been using BG68Ti (0.68mm) @ 25lbs on all my rackets for quite a while... recently strung my Iso TiSP SX @ 25lbs with CBG100 (0.70mm). It felt as though it was around 23lbs!!

Then I got a MP90 JP which was strung @ 25lbs (0.66mm). I couldn't get used to it at first! It seems as though it was strung @ 27lbs or something!

But basically it's all personal preference and experimenting. Stick to one tension and string if possible.... Or not you might need to find a suitable tension again if you change to a thinner/thicker string.

I've decided to stick with BG68Ti @ 25lbs. But I still have 1 packet of BG88Ti (0.69mm) with me. Hmmm.....