Any Memphis Badminton Players Out there?

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by gal91, Aug 2, 2009.

1. gal91

gal91 New Member

Student
    ...Well I'm one or hoping to be. I'm a teen from Memphis, TN.

I've been interested in badminton for about a year now. Summer 2008 my mom bought a racquet set(just two racquets and two shuttlecocks). She said we were going to the park to play but we never did. She said she just had a flashback from childhood. It was gone then...So anyhow the 2008 Olympics started up and my mom said that she badminton on.

At the time we didn't even know the name of the game not by hard, but I believe I heard the name once before. But i just had to see it. It was hard to catch cause the few times I watched Olympic events I never tried to watch them. I just walked in while someone else did the scheduling. Anyhow after the tv guide and sitting through the less desirable events I was able to see it although I don't think it was live. I liked it. I wanted to try it.

I couldn't afford a net at the time and even if i could I don't have anyone to play with. Well I have a net now thanks to Wal-Mart putting them on the shelves if they hadn't I would have to driveway out the neighborhood for one.. It's probably lower quality since it was part of a game combo for 15 USD. Well I still haven't found anyone to play with. My family members are older or too young to cooperate and busy. No close friends

After searching the web with those 'where to play' pages I came across the Memphis Badminton Club, but can't get any reply from my email to verify they still exist. Recently I found a new email address but the old and new always come back as a failure. And I figure the numbers are failures, too. I mean if you can't keep a email address what can you keep?

I'm tired of bouncing a ball off the brick wall of my apartments.

In short if there are any Memphis badminton players maybe we could meet somewhere to play. Like a well lit place, like a community spot, that's not your house or mine, you get the picture.
    OR if anyone here is affiliated with the Memphis Badminton Club, please help me out
    OR if you're not from Memphis but going to college here, that will be cool, too as I'm staying in the city for college

Thanks in advance

2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Welcome..^^

..to BCDF, gal91!:)...Very rare to have someone from the Southeast USA, but very glad to have you here and join this forum! Good to hear also abt your new interest in the sport. . Btw, may i ask where you found out abt this forum?
    For your query of places or friends to play with in Memphis, you can visit the Places to Play/Local Events->USA East sub-forum/section. Should be some infos for you.
    In any rate, keep up your love in the sport, keep coming back & do enjoy the forum!;):cool:

#2 ctjcad, Aug 3, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  3. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

the University of Memphis website does mention the word badminton as one of it's club sports. But it might only be open to students there (wow that looks like a big bad university)
    Or a quick search on community centres found this:http://www.cityofmemphis.org/framew...oxystylesheet=my_collection&output=xml_no_dtd
    Don't know how up to date it is.

By the looks of things either the badminton players of memphis are a "secret society" or you just might be the best player in town. :}

4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

5. gal91

gal91 New Member

Student
    Thanks...you guys are awesome for trying.

I found BC through a search. I typed a question or phrase. Someone here in they're answer said something like 'you wouldn't believe how many games and tournaments are set up through this forum' so I joined.:)

ctjcad, your link contradicted on the info I found on another site, but I think I tried it before. and fidget, I did find a badminton facility, but it's not a place to meet, greet, and play random people. It's by reservation meaning bring your own friends. That's not even saying a lot people use it regularly.

I think I'll post my findings under places to go here. I think I'll give up on finding a established club or anything. I'll be starting college soon. There be new people, from different places and demographics, maybe a badminton player or at least someone willing. Then I can start my own club. Who knows?

It's not easy liking something that's not widely accepted. Wish me luck

6. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

You go gal91!
    Sounds like you have the right attitude to suceed in badminton (and life)!:)

7. ghooga

ghooga Regular Member

Bean Counter, Student
    I think gal91 will be the #1 gal player in Memphis (no pun intended)!
    ;)

8. hubie214

hubie214 Regular Member

Hi everyone, didn't realize that there is a thread for Memphis badminton until today. Even though Gal91 has already found me and has the playtime information, I thought I would post them publically so everyone can see it. Anyways, the following is the current schedule (separated by locations within the Memphis metropolitan area):

Millington
    Navy Gym on Navy Road
    * Tuesday: 4pm - 6:30pm
    * Sunday: 1pm - 5pm

Memphis
    Davis Community Center, 3371 Spottswood Ave., Memphis, TN 38111
    * Thursday: 6pm - 8pm

Cordova
    Bert Ferguson Community Center, 8505 Trinity Rd., Cordova, TN 38018
    * Wednesday: 6:30pm - 8:30pm
    * Saturday: 11pm - 1pm

And yes, if Gal91 allows us to train her, she can quickly become the #1 player in Memphis.

9. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

hi..!welcome to the forum!:)

10. name_for_fame

name_for_fame New Member

Student
    Price?

I just moved to memphis and signed up for bc and i was wondering if there is like an entry fee or some sort of paperwork that we might have to do....i was also wondering if they divide it into ages cause i would like to play against people in my age group (from 16 to 25) :confused:

and for millington exactly what address is the gym cause im finding a ymca a gym a community center and lots other things on navy road so i need some help

#10 name_for_fame, Oct 4, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  11. edmund wong

edmund wong New Member

investor
    Do you still live in Memphis?