Memory question

Discussion in 'Badminton Photography' started by Pete LSD, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Just got a Samsung ST50 for taking still photos. Am wondering whether SanDisk Extreme III SDHC is an overkill (the camera can't take advantage of the extra speed of memory). What about Extreme Ultra II SDHC?

And up to 8 GB SDHC guaranteed. Does it mean maximum? What if I insert a 16 GB card into the camera?

2. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    sorry folks . . . I am a complete newbie in photography related stuff . . .

3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Dear Master Pete...

- Sure, you can insert a memory stick/card as much as 8 GB or even 16 GB. Your camera won't explode if you put in as much as 16 GB of memory stick/card. It's not really an "overkill".
    Extra speed of memory? The 8 GB or 16 GB is not the speed of the memory stick. It's the capacity allowed. If it's "Extreme III" or "Ultra II", it's just a naming designation. None is faster or slower than the other.
    - All types of SDHC memory stick are fine. Samsung brand is fine. SanDisk makes very good memory stick/card, so you're safe with either one.
    - Yes, 8 GB is guaranteed. But "maximum" can vary & depends if your camera has the option of setting the image quality to fine (more pics stored), superfine (less pics stored) or extra fine (even less pics stored).
    - It's okay to insert a 16 GB memory card in your camera. You can even insert a 32 GB card, if you want to..:cool:
    - Are you going on another vacation??..

Happy clicking!!:cool:

#3 ctjcad, Aug 3, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I assume the speed is based on terms of Class 2, class 4, class 6, etc?:rolleyes: Well, I am a super newbie in this one. Still stick with cheap point-n-shot ones. :D

5. Marky

Marky Regular Member

Richmond, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
    From this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital_card

SD Speed Class Ratings
    SD Cards and SDHC Cards have Speed Class Ratings defined by the SD Association. The SD Speed Class Ratings specify the following minimum write speeds based on "the best fragmented state where no memory unit is occupied":[7]

Class 2: 2 MB/s - 13x
    Class 4: 4 MB/s - 26x
    Class 6: 6 MB/s - 40x

Ultra II is class 2
    Extreme III is class 6

Thus, theoretically, files (esp. sizable files) write to cards, Class 6 is faster than Class 2: which is a class 6 can take another shot sooner than a class 2 without having to wait that long for the writing.

#5 Marky, Aug 3, 2009
  6. viver

viver Regular Member

Hi Pete,

Got a camera for badminton photography? :D

SanDisk Extreme III SDHC is more expensive than Extreme II. Depending your camera writing/transfer speed, the type of photos you plan to take - say if you are going to use it normally, taking landscape photos, or your gfs/wives ;) pictures, Extreme II is just fine.

I have a Lexar II, 1 Gb with my Canon A710. Never had problems, tried the multiple shots and it worked fine.

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

#7 ctjcad, Aug 3, 2009
  8. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Yes, you are correct in saying the camera writing/transfer speed determines which SDHC card is more suitable. I'm sure the camera manual will detail that. If the camera can only process info at the speed of a Ultra II card, why pay more for the Extreme III one?

9. Marky

Marky Regular Member

Richmond, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
    In our living area, when on sale, we may get a class 6 at the price of class 2 (a 8gb sdhc).

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i got a no frills 8GB SDHC speed 6 card for my mk3 for around US$20. i don't even remember what brand, maybe a Kingston. it is cheap, it works, and fast enough. in these days of 10+MP resolution cameras, i think speed 6 is essential. and with a 8GB, one can store hundreds (or maybe 1000 depends on the image size) of images before a download. enough for most occasions.

11. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    I agree, you can actually see the difference between a class 2 and a class 6 card. On my Nikon D90, I can store roughly (largest resolution) 1100 pictures on the card and thats sufficient for pretty much any occassion in my opinion.

12. Machiko

Machiko Regular Member

Finance