Looking for a club for beginners/children

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by simon224, Aug 3, 2009.

1. simon224

simon224 Regular Member

Hi, I'm new to this forum stuff so sorry if I'm in the wrong place.
    I play at a decent standard but my kids are interested in playing and I don't want to start coaching them as beginners as they'll probably get all my bad habits.
    I'm trying to find a club in the NW London or middlesex area (near Edgware would be perfect) that my 15 and 11 year old daughters can learn the basics before I let them loose on the clubs I play at.
    Does anyone know of any ?
    Failing that, is it worth me just taking them to a court and playing or should i be looking at attempting to coach them ?
    Thanks for taking the time to read this.

2. Jon_Smasher

Jon_Smasher Regular Member

IT Comms
    hi, im not familiar with clubs within the london area as i live in the midlands myself. I play to county standard and also coach juniors from beginner to junior international level. in my experience, on the whole parent / child coaching hasnt really worked due to the fact kids never listen to their parents. its always best to have an independant coach that the kids are bound to listen too. still nothing wrong with you having court time with them.

for clubs visit www.badmintonengland.co.uk click on the clubs tab and you can search for clubs in there. they should give you contact details etc so you can enquire further. failing that e-mail badminton england directly with your queries. my advice would be, for starters, look for a junior beginner coaching club. we have loads here and there are plenty up and down the country where groups of kids of all ages turn up and receive group coaching. its a great way to introduce them to the sport and they will have fun and make friends too.

good luck. Jon