BG66/BG80 - Same tension, different feeling?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by iFinale, Aug 3, 2009.

1. iFinale

iFinale Regular Member

Student
    It's sorta funny but I have tried both strings strung at 24lbs, I found the feeling of the BG66 just great, very repulsive and I liked how it felt. On the other hand with the BG80, the string felt really hard, and I could feel that I had trouble transmitting power...

I know that the BG66 is meant the be more repulsive, but is the different THAT great? On the other hand I've read somewhere that because the material of BG80's slightly different, you have to go a few lbs lower than your normal tension?

Thanks heaps guys!

2. kazibul

kazibul Regular Member

my stringer said ..to have a full pontetial and great result from bg 80 better string tension more than 27 lbs..dun know if true or not coz my string tension only 25 lbs so...my choice of bg66 ( cheaper also) heheheh..

3. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

The feel is very different. BG66 feels softer than the BG80 at the tensions I have tried both of them from the same stringer (23, 24, 25lbs). The packaging says to go 2lbs or 10% (can't recall which) lower. I did initially but later steadily increased the tension to higher than before I switched from BG66.

My own experience with BG80 is that it comes alive at >23lbs. Overall, I still prefer the BG80 at my current tension (27-28lbs depending on stringer and racket). Good that it lasts longer too. OTOH, what is there not to like with the BG66...

4. colekwok

colekwok Regular Member

Fixing people
    Yes, I agree with you guys. The BG66 feels very repulsive compared to BG80 at the same tension. I had ben using BG66 for many many many years at lower tensions, i.e. 22-24lb. Then I switched to BG80 in the last few years at tensions between 25-27lb. And recently, my stringer accidentally strung my Ti10 with BG66 at 25lb, surprisingly, it just feels great! The BG80 indeed feels much stiffer than the 66 at 25lb. It seems that I can generate more power with the 66 than the 80 string. And that is consistant with what you guys are saying.

5. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    BG80 - Hard feeling
    BG66 - Medium feeling

I think BG66 is more repulsive than BG80. Also, BG80 seems to have a better grip on the birdie than BG66. Just personal feelings....:D

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1st, did you use the same stringer do the 2 jobs. If no, then there're too many variables in the loop already. If yes, and s/he is fairly reputable, then referring the earlier posts for reason. ;)

7. carltan101

carltan101 Regular Member

student
    yeah i also think that bg80 is much more stiff than bg66. I usually string all my rackets with bg66 at 31lb. It feels really great!

8. jianxiong

jianxiong Regular Member

i just switch from bg66 to bg80 both strung at 25lb. I find that with bg80 my smashes lack the power i get from bg66. However in terms of control ie net play, drop shots the bg80 comes out tops.

9. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    BG66 definitely the "feel" master.....BG80...Never tried it higher than 23x25lbs....I'll try it out next time...

10. muslayer

muslayer Regular Member

Computer Technical

Digital Stringing at 25x 27 lbs..BG80 comes alive.......^_^:)

11. NE714

NE714 Regular Member

Student
    BG66 is thinner than BG80

12. Eternity

Eternity Regular Member

I don't know what you guys are thinking but... I actually feel better with BG80 rather than BG66. Further more, i hit harder with that lolz. Tried both string before... and the control isn't even a slightly different.. As good as usual. - -"