How do you tell your partener you don´t want to play with them anymore...?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by jafffa, Aug 4, 2009.

1. jafffa

jafffa Regular Member

Hay guys bit of a tender issue. I´ve always had this one main partener and we both accept that i´m the superior player (not to say that he doesn´t have places where he´s better than me). We´re both really good friends even though most of my friends don´t like him but i don´t want to go into that.
    The thing is we´re both joining a new club the coming seasen and well i´ve got a good chance of getting into the second men´s doubles team. But i´ll probably be with someone better than me (older and more experianced to show me the ropes because its a new league to me so i don´t know any of the players).
    Its going to benefit my playing immensly if i play for the second mens team with this other guy. Am i being selfish? Should i get some coaching for us both to bring us up to the standard... i don´t want to leave my friend but i´m going to university quite soon so maybe it doesn´t matter. I´m not sure though. Any advice?

2. Amin Khalili

Amin Khalili Regular Member

Student
    Have a talk with your partner .......

3. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Yeah the best thing would be to talk to him.

If he is a good friend , he would understand your reasons.

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    We all know that no Doubles partnership lasts forever

We all know that no Doubles partnership lasts forever. So, sooner or later, you two will be going separate ways.

So ask your friend if it is time to have a change of partnerships now.

#4 chris-ccc, Aug 4, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  5. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    Lol why should your friendship be affected because you want to change doubles partners too improve??

If you have the opportunity to play with stronger people then do it. Just talk to your friend and explain what you want to do. If hes a real friend then there wont be a problem. If hes a child then youl soon find out ;)

6. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Enemies anyone? lol!!!

7. teamplayer

teamplayer Regular Member

Your friend should be happy for you! It's always good to have new opportunities to improve your game. Who knows, your friend may find new opportunities to improve his game too with other players.

Be considerate and let him know in advance so he is not caught by surprised. Your friend should appreciate that and the friendship should be intact.

Finally, go for it!

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    There is a team captain, right? The team captain makes the decision, not you. So it's a non-issue. But you do need to let him know of the possibility if the team has already spoken to you about it, but not yet confirmed.

9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

My £1.5 pounds..

..i think those phrases basically confirm your solid friendship with your friend.
    If you believe that you guys have a mutual friendship then you shouldn't be afraid to share with him your frank feeling. Basically tell him what you've written here.
    Now, here's the extra kicker if just to let him know that you won't forget him. Tell him that you'd still be available to play with him whenever you're not playing with your new "older & more experienced" partner. And who knows, in the future, you guys might team up, again.:cool:

10. HDoan

HDoan Regular Member

Student
    Is it just me or does every comment sound like something you say after a relationship o_O Anyways talk to your partner, explain your reasons and hopefully he can do the same so you can reunite in the future :p You are still friends anyway so it's not like you two still can't play.

11. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    what the hek, how could you say that, i'm not better than you? excuse me say that again?
    LOL, no, i'm not his friend. Here is one of my COULD be "the worst" advice. Recommend him with this forum, tell him your screenname, if you want. And let him come across this thread you posted. lol
    I think best is just talk to him

12. bad_fanatic

bad_fanatic Regular Member

Day dream about being a Pro Badminton Player
    Well you just want to switch partners so that you can improve. It doesn't mean that you don't want to be his friend anymore.

But i think you're concern that he might think that you're thinking he's not good enough. Well, since both of you agreed that you're the better of the two then what's there to worry about.

You and friend must be pretty good friend because none of your other friend likes him, but you enjoyed playing with him. It just shows that there's a good bond with him. You guys might go separate ways for college/university so it might be that this is the last year to play as well.

13. flyingfox

flyingfox Regular Member

just say

"let's partner with different players and see how best we could go.."