why Malaysia keep failing to Boleh?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by 2cents, Aug 4, 2009.

1. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    Malaysia is definitely a badminton power house. The players there are very smart, hardworking and disciplined. The people there love badminton so much, even treat it as national sport. But unfortunately, Malaysia has not got any success in recent several decades. They have never won any Olympic gold, have never won any World Championship either.

We can always see many good players at all different levels of tournaments from Malaysia. They also spend big money to hire the best coaches in the world. Their companies all heartedly sponsor the tournaments and players…… Even at this small forum for badminton, Malaysia has got the biggest fan base here. Why they just cannot produce single one world champion ever? Malaysia even created a unique slogan “Malaysia Boleh”, but at the end, it is always Malaysia which failed to Boleh.

Human character is the most important factor which determines all the others. The people there are special: native Malay and indigenous people are majority and Chinese descendants take 23% of the population. I believe Malaysian is only one of the very few counties who legally discriminate minorities. Chinese descendants have been suffering a broad range of unfairness, but strangely, they accept it as an integrated part of their life. Chinese descendants are very hardworking and disciplined, they did comparably well in personal achievements comparing native Malay people. But they also behave very restrained with cautiousness and worries under that special environment.

Because this special social structure, Chinese descendants in Malaysia are very good even in badminton. This can be explained by their open education, hardworking and discipline. They know they have to work extra under the discriminating laws, but on the badminton court, it’s still a fair game. That environment made them know how to work smart and work hard, but they never know how to release their passion and energy.

Look at all those Malaysian players (Chinese descendants), they are all very modest, humble, and shy. They have learnt from their life that they have to control their feelings, their passions inside. They have learnt to take care of the majority’s feelings in the cost of sacrificing their own.

But what is champion character? Look at Lin Dan, Taufik…, a champion has to be arrogant, a champion has to be impatient, a champion has to be wild, has to be reckless; a champion has to be able to release his passion, his energy at maximum as he wants to.

That’s the reason why they failed to Boleh big time. From the early years of Malaysia, even Prime minister Mahathir doubted Malay people’s ability at the beginning, he used Malaysian Boleh at the beginning to encourage Malay people’s confidence that they can do whatever the other countries, other nations, other races can do. In the process of this great social changes, Chinese descendants in Malaysian have learnt to restrained themselves to let the Malay people Boleh. This biological fingerprint or bio marker has been inserted into their genes.

The biggest Malaysian Boleh in badminton is still Hafiz’s all England champion. There is no wonder now, Hafiz is a native Malay only who can Boleh.

For LCW, WCH, KKK, TBH,…, the top players from Malaysian, but Chinese descendants. Their badminton levels have already reached the best in the world, but they have to open their human nature before grab any world champions. Even teenager girls know that, only bad guys who dare to be bad, can get the most beautiful girls.

But unfortunately, Malaysia’s discriminating law will not change soon, or will never change. Malaysia Chinese knew they were different when they were born. They were taught to avoid confrontation with others. Can we imagine Lee CW suddenly becoming arrogant, wild, reckless…? If Lee CW happens to read this article of mine, he could probably win this world champion.

2. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    Hey, it is a new thread now, removed from the other thread or what?

Hye 2cents. It’s pretty interesting – Your theory on how Malaysia’s ‘discriminating’ law had influenced Malaysians. I say Malaysians, because Chinese or Indian or Malay, you are a Malaysian. Pretty interesting,yes. Though i have disagreed on some points, I respect your post, it is exclusively yours.
    Malaysian Badminton Players (Chinese) are humble, modest and shy. That’s how you put it. LCW, for example, does not have ‘behaviour’. Would you like to compare him with KKK? Isn’t kkk a Chinese? Two different characters, no? So, basically, i don’t understand how it is relevant to put the argument of different of races here to justify the behaviour of an athlete.
    By the way, how is the law discriminating is a very very subjective discussion. You may want to study it first before giving any remarks.
    Be a champion 101 is totally depend on individual’s capabilities. Mirnawan Nawawi (Malay) was once a top 11 hockey Player worldwide. Nicol David ( Chinese + Indian) is an influential Women Squash player. Lee Chong Wei and friends, are absolutely our precious players now. But once, we also had Sidek family. Sidek or LCW = They are Malaysians. Malaysia Boleh is not exclusive. As long as you are Malaysian, you are entitled to use that.
    As a team, Malaysia has to be stronger ( yes, we are a strong team. positive!) to be able to defeat other teams. The Olympic medal and WC title was never ours before, and the wrongdoers are the coach (Misbun=malay), the player ( LCW=Chinese). It is the whole team to put the blame on.

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    I don't have the answer to your (MAS) dilemma but please don't stereotyping champion players with must have characters as arrogant, impatient, wild and reckless. There are endless list of champion quality players who are quite the opposite to your stereotyped catergory. These example players are the four kings, morten frost, zhang ning, susi susanti, camilla martin, dave freeman, and on and on.....and this is just on Singles players.

#3 cooler, Aug 4, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  4. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

thanks kkk fan for your comments.

You might have thought Mirnawan Nawawi (once ranked 11th), Nicol David, Sidek and Lee CW are heros already. But Gold and Silver are a little difference in color, just 1 in ranking, but totally different according to winning or losing. There is only 1 winner, and Malaysia failed to product such a winner ever in any area, period.

"Malaysian Boleh" sounds strong, but to me, it sounds miserable. For any normal or capable people, we never say "yes, you can". We only encourage people with disabilities with the slogan "Yes, you can do it", which implies that in fact, it's beyond your ability.

Of course, all Malaysian can use Malaysian Boleh. But the reason it's so hot, so popular, is, as implied in Mahathir's book, that Malay people were afraid they were not as capable as Chinese. It is a great slogan until Malaysia becomes strong.

If you say the same thing "Lin Dan, you can do it" to Lin Dan, it will be meaningless. Lin Dan has been there done that many times.

Of course you can say "Malaysian Boleh" to Lee CW as long as he's Malaysian. But I doubt he needs it; I doubt it will have any real effect even if thousands of people say it thousands of times to LCW. For me, saying Malaysian Boleh, is just to remind LCW that "you were born inferior"

LCW has to overcome his own psychological barrier, no body else can help him, even the Malay guy Misbun.

5. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

you mis-understood. :rolleyes:

my point was not to stereotype champion at all.

the key point here is all the champions know how to utilize their passion and energy to the maximum level and help them to win. Even Monica Seles knew how to groan. But those Chinese descendants in Malaysia lost that basic ability, unfortunately.

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Malaysia is still a great force in Badminton worldwide

Totally disagree with the OP.

Malaysia has some of the greatest Badminton World Champions in the past. Just go back to the 1950's and 1960's.

Currently, Malaysian players are still holding top ranking positions in the world. It's not a shame for Malaysia to have no winners in AE, OG, WC, etc... currently. This is because the other 4 top Badminton nations, namely; China, Indonesia, Korea and Denmark, also have top players.

Yes. if we divide the winners of AE, OG, WC, etc... by the top 5 Badminton nations, Malaysia is still trying to win one. But don't be surprised to find a shift in favour of Malaysians winning some in the next few years.

Malaysia is still a great force in Badminton worldwide.

#6 chris-ccc, Aug 4, 2009
  7. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

sure, the 1st sentense I wrote in my original post was "Malaysia is definitely a badminton power house"

but in counting producing world champions, even Li Yong Bo claimed he's trained (or almost trained) 100 world champions, but Malaysia has none. Is it weird for a power house without any world champion.

You are right, Malaysia had producted quite a few great stars in early 50s, but that's the key point of mine too, that time, there is no "Malaysia Boleh" yet. Chinese in Malaysia that time, like Eddy Choong, David Choong, were definetely confident and fearless.

8. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

I said that too. Lee CW and other Chinese descendants players were very talented and hardworking, therefore, they can even occupy wr #1 for quite long time, But winning something big needs something else beyond talents and hardworking, that's fearless courage which is a common problem for LCWs

I saw some that fearless courage when KKK/TBH had 2 years ago. But it's soon extinguished under Malaysia culture and social pressure. I have warned very early that time that Rexy could ruin the pair, but nobody listened.

KKK/TBH are still good, their level of playing might be better, but the most important thing has disappeared, that's the passion, that's the energy, that's the fearless courage, that's the confidence of winning, are gone... These small change results in nothing but winner or loser in the final.

9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Something is missing..

..for some reason, this thread is missing that voice....the voice of Pemuda..:cool:

anyway...
    ..i think LCW needs more of those 2 attitudes than being a "bad, impatient, reckless, wild, arrogant boy" if he ever wants to win the big, major titles (KKK & TBH displayed those with their AE title)...However, it seems there's always LD ahead or one step in front of him..

It always comes down to what's going on "mentally"..

#9 ctjcad, Aug 4, 2009
  10. Maximum

Maximum Regular Member

student
    or is it because of malaysian players are too protected by the government??? government gives them watever they need, pay them alot of money when they win something big... the government is very protective of the players... and the talent pool in malaysia is very small n limited so the top players can stay as a top players in the country comfortably.. whereas in china, the talent pool is so wide that a player must work n train really hard in order to keep their places in the first line... or else, some other juniors will overtake them...
    yes, attitude is a very important key to success but m'sia gov seems not realistic... they think they can support them with watever needs the player wants n the players will win n bring honour back but they didnt realise they hav put so much of pressure to the mentally weak malaysian player...

11. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    haha,too protected?
    do u know how much talent had leave bjss and bam just because of the bjss and bam policy and attitude?:rolleyes:

12. aswad

aswad Regular Member

teacher
    i think u can critic more on the sports (badminton) rather than political talking....i would not like to call you "history blind" for not knowing who's the person that are responsible and hardwork to achieve this "Malaysia", who's are the natives people and who's imigrant? What is social contract?, and why Tunku give this kind of agrement to others...now we live in a peace country without any radical demonstrations with blood spills on the road. Be profesional with your comments rather than it's sounds politic.If you are not a Malaysian than it is okay for me....but if you are Malaysian-stop talking nonsense and take a deep breath..thinking about all of those fighting to get this Malaysia. Again...profesionals with ur comments and only comments about badminton or else find another side such as political view side to write ur comments.

thank you

13. Liz Leong

Liz Leong Regular Member

Student
    Who is Pemuda?? I see his name popping out now and then. Is he a good guy/gal? :eek:

14. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Who is he??..^^

..i will let koo_fan, george@chongwei, limsy, eaglehelang, hcyong, wilfredlgf, pjswift, drifit, Dato Asbullah, bananakid, cooler, OneToughBirdie answer that..:cool:

All i can say is: He was a fun fella. BC was never the same before he came and is never the same since he left/got banned..:p

#14 ctjcad, Aug 5, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  15. Liz Leong

Liz Leong Regular Member

Student
    Banned :eek:! Eiks ... I just did some searching of old topics and I must admit Pemuda statements made a lot of sense. Though I hate to admit it as I am a Malaysian, I must say he/she spoke the truth. And he/she was pretty direct about it.

16. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Oh..^^

..forgot abt another very important fella to ask, in the mix : The all-knowing X Ball...;)

Yeah, a lot of people have been affected with his presence. But i guess the way he carried himself in the forum might've ruffled a bit too much feather, thus the ban...
    Well, let's hope a transformed Pemuda will surface again, most likely under a different username, after the WC...

17. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Yes, positive, he will...especially when if Mas fail to deliver agian ! :D:D

18. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    So what makes a World champion / top world class badminton athlete?????

is it one or a combination of the following:-

pure gifted talent & ability above his / her fellow peers & competitors?

result of a sport regime power house?

Individual / national inheritary supremacy & right due to a counrty's history of badminton?

A natural occurance due to the population of obsessed badminton playing citizens?

Profesionalism attitude of the individual towards badminton as an international athletic sport, rather than as a 'game'

Personaly, i don't think any single factor can guarantee a top class badminton athlete. Even more so i do not agree with our general malaysian perception that we are a great badminton nation because we are deservingly so.

On the context of why we are not the 'best' as so it appears at the moment, is obvious that another / some other nation is doing something better than us. Things however don't always remain the same so we will just have to see where things goes the years to come

19. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

In the 1st place, I never liked that slogan. Now with Dr M not being PM, it's used less ;). Anyway, it's not abt the slogans, I dont use the Malaysia Boleh & dont care for it at all.

As for the other parts abt "chinese descendents", well, it can go into some sensitive issues, including politics, if we were to discuss .... in depth.:cool:

One example of those who made it, non baddy of course, is Nicol David, she trains overseas. If squash is OG sport, Msia would have won the gold long time ago. For badminton, it just needs one to break the mentality/barrier or whatever one wants to call it.:)

20. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

You missed him too much is it? :p People want to have some peace & quiet also cannot.

RFLOL, too protective? No lah, they want results, results or it's bash2 - very obvious. Just maybe now the new Sports Minister is a more low profile guy& the NSC Director was on medical leave from heart operation, so make less noise. There's also the issue of politics ;)