User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Clark calls time on England career

"ANTHONY CLARK, one of English badminton’s greatest doubles players, has decided to call time on a glittering international career.

Clark, aged 34, announced his decision to retire at the end of this year, after competing in this week’s Bitburger Open in the German city of Saarbrucken.
    Clark, who started playing badminton at the age of 12 and won the National Junior Under 19 singles and doubles titles in 1996 before making his senior England debut in 1998, said:
    “Badminton has played a major part in my life over the past 20 years and I have enjoyed every minute of it. I have played in and visited many countries around the world and been fortunate to have been so successful.
    I have many people to thank for that success. BADMINTON England has supported me during the whole of my career and has made it possible for me to compete at the highest level.
    I would also like to thank the coaches with whom I’ve worked, as again, without their help I would not have achieved the success I have. In particular, I would like to mention Andy Wood and Rexy Mainaky, as both are great coaches and they have helped me tremendously. I would also like to thank the current team of coaches at the National Badminton Centre, Milton Keynes.
    I also have to thank UK Sport, the National Lottery and Head for supporting me financially and again allowing me to compete at an international level.
    Finally, I have to thank my family who have supported me through the good times and the bad. Firstly, my wife Emma, and my children, Mia and Rowan, who have provided wonderful family support despite having had to put up with me being away from home for days and weeks at a time. I know they will all be happy to see me more often. Secondly, to my mum and dad who have encouraged me at every turn and pushed me into becoming a world class player.
    I finish playing in the knowledge that I have achieved the best I possibly could and with notable success. I have had a fantastic time and have had many proud moments both individually and with the England team. I have many moments to look back on and in particular the World Championship success in 2006. My proudest moment, however, has to be achieving 100 caps for England and being part of a very successful team.
    With regard to the future, I would love to stay in the sport in some capacity. That may be in coaching, as I would love to give back to younger players much of what my coaches passed on to me.”

Full story: http://www.badmintonengland.co.uk/sh...tionTitle=News

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sad...england and the UK needs to find replacements for players like anthony...to me...he is better than nathan...he plays with his brain rather than sheer aggression...amazing player indeed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2