Anthony Clark - Player of the Month

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Loh, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    BADMINTON England
    [July 2009]

Using 'The Force'
    http://www.badmintonengland.co.uk/text.asp?section=903&sectionTitle=Player+of+The+Month

Interview conducted by James Brown, Communications and Web Assistant, Badminton England.

June this year saw Anthony Clark return from the Aviva Open in Singapore as Men’s Doubles Champion; a great accomplishment for him and Team England espically as it was BADMINTON England's first Super Series title win.

He is a two time silver medallist at the 2006 World Championships (with Donna Kellogg and Robert Blair) and has a cool five medals under his belt from the Commonwealth Games. Add to that the 11 National titles he holds, six European Championship medals and runners up in the 2007 Yonex All England Open, and Anthony is a force to be reckoned within the World of badminton.

It’s clear that Anthony’s badminton-playing parents made a big impression on him as a boy and one that has surely contributed to his success today. I caught up with Anthony to ask him where he gets his motivation, enthusiasm and courage to succeed.

So Anthony, congratulations on your success in the Aviva Open Singapore Super Series event. BADMINTON England is very proud of your achievements and as Adrian Christy, (Chief Executive, BADMINTON England) says, “It makes our job a lot easier when you guys win”.

How do you feel about your success in Asia?

It feels incredible, but to be honest it’s been coming for a while. Playing badminton, I soon learned that wins against people don’t mean anything. Winning titles means something, so the Super Series really feels great. Winning every title is very, very difficult, especially against countries such as China. We (Team England) don’t have sparring partners like other countries have, so it’s an amazing achievement when anyone of us wins a title.

I’m very quick to read opponents styles and together when I’m playing doubles with Nathan we have a very good understanding of how each of us will react to shots. We have been very close friends since we were 12yrs old and have been through a lot together. I believe it’s one of the reasons we ‘gel’ so well together on court and it feels very natural for us to play in doubles.

How does it feel to play against Nathan in mixed doubles when he is also your men’s doubles partner?

That’s difficult. Obviously we are very close on and off court, but when we are playing each other we are both aware that the war is on and friendship goes out the window. We’re still friends afterwards, but during that hour or two hour match time we both want to win - that’s why we’re there.

Nathan has not beaten me for three years now but Donna (Kellogg: doubles partner) and I have a very different style to Nathan’s.

With only nine more caps to go until you reach the coveted ‘100 caps’ do you have any idea when you might get there?

It will be very nice to make it to 100. I remember my first cap clearly. It was in 1998 and I smashed my opponent. Winning was an amazing feeling and it really kicked me forward to want more title wins.

I’m hoping that maybe by the end of 2010 I’ll be up near the 100 mark. With next year seeing a series of representational matches including the Thomas Cup, the Thomas Cup Finals and the Commonwealth Games we’ll have to wait and see what happens.

At the moment I still love playing. As I’ve always said the day I no longer enjoy playing tournaments and training every day, will be the day I’ll stop. I just hope it’s not before I get to 100!

Tell me a little about how your approach to tournaments has changed over the years?

As a young player I used to find even getting into international tournaments very difficult. It’s an issue faced by all young European players as we begin our playing careers at a later stage than they do in Asia. We generally start at 18yrs old, compared to the majority of Chinese players who are already playing at World Class level by that age.

It’s very easy to dwell on this and put too much pressure on yourself to performance at a young age, as I used to in tournaments. I used to try too hard and put too much pressure on myself to win. I think it made me lose focus as well as forgetting to have fun. More often than not that cost me the game. I remember when I was at a really low point in my career losing a lot, until the pressure got too much and I thought I was going to lose every match. I was kind of miserable so decided to remember the reason I was there in the first place; to have fun doing it. As soon as I did that my performance went up and I went from losing five tournaments in a row to winning the Nationals.

So basically my approach is I’ve learnt to relax a little, though it’s hard because I am very competitive.

You reached the quarter-finals of the 2009 Yonex All England Open but didn’t make it all the way. How do you feel about the 100th All England Open in 2010?

It’s the 100th? I had no idea; I’d better start preparing (laughs).

I feel pretty good about it and I love playing there. Obviously I’m preparing for it, but at the end of the day I rely mostly on ‘using the force’ as I call it. You can do all the preparation in the world but you have to read the game as it happens and be very aware as I am.

The All England is a fantastic tournament. Its badminton’s equivalent of Wimbledon and it’s being jazzed up a little more each year. The 2009 All England was a great spectacle.

I’ve noticed every major tournament is raising the bar with its entertainment value. I think badminton is moving away from the traditional image of gentlemen playing in the garden to a much more modern dynamic and fast professional sport. It’s great to get the crowds involved and entertained.

You mentioned the entertainment value of the Yonex All England Open. What do the crowds add to your performance or experience at these major competitions?

It has a massive effect. I love crowd participation and we should encourage the crowds to get involved more. Even if it’s boo’s I love it because it gives you the chance to turn it around and get then cheering for you to win. There are a lot of fans from Asia who come to events and they really get involved, which I think is great.

"I rely mostly on
    ‘using the force’
    as I call it.”

Who do you see as your toughest opponents, if any?

There are too many to mention. If I were to give you a list of names you would end up with a book and that’s really a credit to the sport. I have great respect for other high performing athletes because I know what it takes. If I had to mention a few off the top of my head it would include the Chinese and Korean teams. There are also some Danish pairs who are great.

One tough opponent and badminton great I never had to honour of playing against was Rexy Mainaky. He coached Team England for a number of years and was a total natural at the sport. He was a real inspiration and helped to change my approach to badminton training. I really have him to thank for taking me from a good player to a World Class player.

What are your thoughts about your role in promoting the sport of badminton to a wider audience? What do you do, what will you do?

I do my best to promote the sport on and off court. Center Parcs is a great partner for our sport - they are always professional and friendly. It’s great that they are so involved with badminton.

In my mind a professional league is really the only way to gain a mass audience. It’s a huge task that requires a lot of finance, but it will bring badminton to that wider audience.

If darts can do it, so can we! When I’m not training or on the road I find darts very entertaining to watch especially with all the banter that goes with it. I would love to see that with badminton, it would be very good for the sport.

How do you feel about receiving the accolade of Player of the Month?

I’m delighted to receive the million pound cheque and trophy thank you (laughs). No really, I appreciate every opportunity when an organisation or individual takes time out to give me a pat on the back and say well done for my efforts. It means a lot to me.

At the same there are a lot of people who have put in an incredible amount of effort with me to help me gain every award. People like my coaches, physiotherapists, psychologists, nutritionists, video analysts, not to mention the invaluable support from friends and family. You certainly don’t get there without help and encouragement of these people.

I occasionally receive a letter from our board members congratulating me. That’s always nice to receive as I know then they are aware of the efforts being put in by everyone. It would just be nice to get the £1 million cheque along with it. Maybe it’s in the post… (laughs)

Unfortunately Anthony hasn’t yet received his £1 million cheque.
    In recognition of their fantastic win at the Aviva Open, Singapore Anthony and Nathan were however presented with a commemorative picture. Presented by Ian Moss (BADMINTON England’s Performance Director) the pair broke training for a few minutes while the rest of Team England and coaches gathered to commend the two. (Picture below).

From everyone at BADMINTON England, we congratulate Anthony for his grand success and dedication to badminton. We look forward to celebrating his 100th cap soon.

Attached Files:

2. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    thats fantastic! 1million pounds :O is that a cheque for his recent success or over the years built up??

either way congrats!!!

3. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Anthony Clark.......the best doubles player in England........congratulation!

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    No he was dreaming! Only just another piece of paper to congratulate him of his past and recent successes! :D

5. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Congrats!! Though what is a cap? I've seen the term applied to english players before, though I dont' really understand what it means.

6. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Just like the real cap's function..^^

..where one wears to cover one's dome, a "cap" means the maximum limit/set limit for an individual per ruling/regulation for a certain period of time..Yes, Brits use it a lot in sports..

7. Randomlegend

Randomlegend Regular Member

School
    It just means an appearance. It comes from when Football (soccer) players used to get a cap (as in the head gear) for an England appearance.

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yes, it means how many times (caps) he represents England at official tournaments. A hundred caps is generally a benchmark and one would generally consider this as quite an achievement! :)

9. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Ooh, that makes sense. Thanks a lot!

10. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Let's see wait he could offer us in the upcoming WC ;)

11. William16

William16 New Member

Hi,

The best doubles player in England... Congratulation...!

Top designers sun glasses and eyeglasses.

12. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Unfortunately, AC has to withdraw due to Terrorist Threat............:crying:

13. george@chongwei

Nevermind, try next time;)

14. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Just heard that Anthony Clark had a freak accident

Just heard that Anthony Clark had a freak accident. :crying::crying::crying:

Veteran Anthony Clark's hopes of winning a 10th successive men's doubles title were ended by a freak injury before the competition even started.

The 33-year-old was struck in the eye by a shuttlecock in training and was forced to pull out after a visit to hospital.

Source: http://www.sportinglife.com/others/...rs/11/02/04/BADMINTON_Manchester.html&BID=678

Hope that AC's eye is OK now.

#14 chris-ccc, Feb 5, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  15. DaddyCoach

DaddyCoach Regular Member

Anthony Clark was presented with a commemorative cap on finals day at the All England in recognition of him appearing 100 times for England in international matches. Anthony made his 100th appearance during last year's Commonwealth Games and has now made 105 appearances overall - a fantastic achievement.

16. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Congratulations to Anthony Clark !!!

Yes, Congratulations to Anthony Clark !!! :):):)

Not many players can make it to their 100th appearance for their countries.

17. george@chongwei

Wow, wonder who in the world in england team smash is so hard and accurate.. untill AC also injured already..

18. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Clark calls time on England career

"ANTHONY CLARK, one of English badminton’s greatest doubles players, has decided to call time on a glittering international career.

Clark, aged 34, announced his decision to retire at the end of this year, after competing in this week’s Bitburger Open in the German city of Saarbrucken.
    Clark, who started playing badminton at the age of 12 and won the National Junior Under 19 singles and doubles titles in 1996 before making his senior England debut in 1998, said:
    “Badminton has played a major part in my life over the past 20 years and I have enjoyed every minute of it. I have played in and visited many countries around the world and been fortunate to have been so successful.
    I have many people to thank for that success. BADMINTON England has supported me during the whole of my career and has made it possible for me to compete at the highest level.
    I would also like to thank the coaches with whom I’ve worked, as again, without their help I would not have achieved the success I have. In particular, I would like to mention Andy Wood and Rexy Mainaky, as both are great coaches and they have helped me tremendously. I would also like to thank the current team of coaches at the National Badminton Centre, Milton Keynes.
    I also have to thank UK Sport, the National Lottery and Head for supporting me financially and again allowing me to compete at an international level.
    Finally, I have to thank my family who have supported me through the good times and the bad. Firstly, my wife Emma, and my children, Mia and Rowan, who have provided wonderful family support despite having had to put up with me being away from home for days and weeks at a time. I know they will all be happy to see me more often. Secondly, to my mum and dad who have encouraged me at every turn and pushed me into becoming a world class player.
    I finish playing in the knowledge that I have achieved the best I possibly could and with notable success. I have had a fantastic time and have had many proud moments both individually and with the England team. I have many moments to look back on and in particular the World Championship success in 2006. My proudest moment, however, has to be achieving 100 caps for England and being part of a very successful team.
    With regard to the future, I would love to stay in the sport in some capacity. That may be in coaching, as I would love to give back to younger players much of what my coaches passed on to me.”

Full story: http://www.badmintonengland.co.uk/s...n+England+career&section=13&sectionTitle=News

19. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    sad...england and the UK needs to find replacements for players like anthony...to me...he is better than nathan...he plays with his brain rather than sheer aggression...amazing player indeed