Fake YY BG65 Ti??

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Cheung, Oct 15, 2002.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Hmm,

Just talking to my stringer, there might be a problem with BG65 Ti.

He only discovered the problem becasue another customer usually has high tension with BG65 Ti. On this occasion, the string kept breaking when being pulled.

Certainly the wording imprinted on the string is not of good quality (but cannot rub off). However, the packet is exactly the same as other normal strings (i.e. no problem with the fonts, blurring letters etc).

I am not sure if it a fake OR real but there was a problem with the batch production....

2. Jazz

Jazz Regular Member

Industrial Designer
    I saw there was some fake YY Ti string in CHina before, the package is exactly the same, but the string inside don't have model no. printon the string.

3. zero

zero Regular Member

Student
    I believe you are correct Cheung. I think there might be a FAKE batch of strings on the market right now, with imprinted Yonex labels and model name on the string which cannot be rubbed off (unlike the old batcth).
    The last 2 times I got my racquet restrung, I had used BG66 and BG85, but it might be just me, or the strings play the SAME! They are both with same tension at 23lbs.
    I too, have suspected my strings to be fake because they have a relatively smooth surface, unlike the rough surface like other strings. Also, the "Y" in the Yonex on the strings seem to be faded a little, which also adds to my suspicion. But words do not rub off.

4. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    G'day,

Hmmm that's not good to hear.

There's a way to tell difference between BG66, BG80 and BG85 strings from each other (but it will require some trained eyes and experience) by looking under magnifying glass and feeling the surface texture of the string. However, the best way to tell is whilst stringing. The elaticity of each string, whilst being stretched is different (ie - BG66 stretches more than BG85, and doens't "curl" as much) and when lacing the string thru the grommets, the hardness of the string varies and can be felt immediately

5. zero

zero Regular Member

Student
    Well the feeling of the bird bouncing off the racquet felt exactly the same. Also, both of the texture of BG85 and BG66 felt and look the same. As for looking closely, I didn't do it.