Playing against the Coach

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by keith.roche, Aug 6, 2009.

1. keith.roche

keith.roche Regular Member

Its really funny when one is playing against his own coach...

First I had a 2 vs 1 game... ( as part of training ).. me the 1 and 2 similar level players against me.
    I won the game 14 - 21..

Just after this match, coach asked me to play a game against him.
    Till 5 points, I played very good that I leveled the score every time he took a point. Then the score reached 8 -5 ( coach leading ).. and I almost fell onto the court.
    I was dead tired ! LOL
    And usually he plays against us, 11 point game. So that we play all out.
    But today, it was a 21 point game. And even half of that wasnt over. :p

Maybe he did that purposely to make me realize the importance of Physical Training.
    The evening before this, our training was on a 400 m track. And I had this slight pain in my quads, so I didnt fare well during the training. Maybe he had this in mind and wanted me to know the importance of each session.

And FYI, its not 1 to 1 coaching. Some 8 of us, to one coach.

2. darkyboy

darkyboy Regular Member

ive played my coach in a tournament once hah :D he didnt smash and just rallied me, wow was tiring, i didnt do too bad got 15 and 16 i think

3. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    Its always great playing your coach. Gives students a huge confidence boost when they control rallys and win points convincingly. I always try to select a few top students from the squad i help train and give them some doubles and singles games with me at the end of the session.

They seem to go into super serious mode and every point is played to their 100% best effort which is great to see.

4. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    It's also great because you begin to realise all of the holes which are in your game. Coaches are able to play at a faster pace, but more importantly think at a faster pace, so they are able to figure out a strategy to take you apart pretty quickly. By understanding how they did that, it's possible to improve very quickly.

Not to mention it's always rewarding to win a few points against your coach :D

5. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

wish I have that kind of opportunities now!

it's always beneficial to play against some one who is better than you. that's the best way to learn.

6. keith.roche

I have seen him play in tournaments and he doesnt play all that 100% against me. LOL
    He just keeps the rally going.
    For instance, if he wants, he can end the rally with a tight net dribble, but he wont do that. He'll play a shot, that I'm able to take. So he keeps the rally going until I die. :p

7. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Thats like 1 of my coaches! Ive seen him play serious singles, smashes down the line etc but with me its clears clears clears, odd drop and smash. Of course afta 5 mins, am wrecked!

And in the event I am leading by a few points, he wil play better and come back into the match again! :mad:

But I have beat him once, I will beat him again cause I have been training on my footwork and fitness so am faster on court and last longer! :cool:

8. keith.roche

My problem is "FITNESS" !
    I dont know how much I have to stress that word.

I remember that he used to CLEAR all the time, long back. But as I got better, he started PLAYING against me. :D
    And now he says, I'm fast enough, but almost NOT AT ALL FIT, to defeat him.

And like you, I've defeated him once in a 11 point game. He had an ACL Reconstruction surgery a year back and he injured it again last month during a tournament and I got to play against him a week after that tournament. Lucky me.

9. Azianhero

Azianhero Regular Member

lol you remind me of a kid that i coach. Your coach is doing a fantastic job of opening the doorways of improvement. Speed isn't everything to the game when you don't have endurance. Like Peter Gade said, badminton is a combination of many things. Theres no such thing as the most important thing, every element needs each other such as speed needs stamina, and executing a shot needs proper technqiue. Sure badminton is a fast sport but the change of pace in the game changes if you don't have endurance. Theres many different fitness you should look forward to. Working with weights can improve your muscular endurance and at the same time, EXPLOSIVENESS. Jogging is great if you do it daily but its still not enough. Hiking is also a tough endurance sport and i recommend it to people who wants more stamina on court. Hope this helps you cause it sure helped me during my days =P

10. keith.roche

No wonder he takes us to the grounds 3 days a week, courts 3 days a week and one day reserved for weight training. :D

11. Azianhero

Azianhero Regular Member

sounds like a good training schedule for you, hope you become a successful badminton player in the near future like everybody else here who strives to become number 1 =P

12. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    ZOMG, so frustrating when coaches just torment you by clears and drops. It really makes you feel so slow and incompetent in terms of strokes. I had a coach who did that to me a while ago....I felt so fried after only a couple rallies.