Can someone explain this please?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Sean, Oct 16, 2002.

1. Sean

Sean Regular Member

Network Administrator (MCSE, MCP)
    Hi, I like to know what all this SP, CN, JP, CD and CN version mean? I really don't get the jargon. Also what does it mean when Yonex says that the weights are different for example, the Yonex Mp 88 racquet say the weight is 80 - 84 grams in 4U and 85 - 89 grams in 3U. Now what does the 3U and 4U mean? Also the gripsize states G4.???Whats that?
    Also i recently had a racquet clash and broke my wonderful Carlton Airblade 2000 right in half. I have never seen hi modulus graphite crack like so. How is this possible. I do have an extra one which is untouched but I'm a bit scared to play doubles with that anymore. So what racquet in the Yonex range should I go for? My strenght is the smash, but I want a really light racquet around 80 - 85 grams. So whats the scoop guys? What should I go for? I looked for the Ti 10 on the yonex website but all they got is the Ti 7 there. How come?

Thanks guys...

Sean

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    SP, CN, etc stands for where this model going to be distributed:
    SP: Singapore, South East Asia
    CN: China
    JP: Japan
    CD: Canada, North America

U, 2U, 3U, 4U stands for the weight of the racket. Higher # of U, means the racket will be lighter (so, U should be heaviest, and 4U should be the lightest). The smaller # in weight is the weight without string, the higher # in weight is including string.

G3, G4, G5, ect are the grip size.

Don't be afraid of double games. Yeah, clash do damage rackets, but, that's part of the game. If u think ur skill or ur partner's skill is not good enough, try not to use "high end" racket yet. Once ur skill level builds up, and there are strategy developed between u 2, the chances for serious clash will be greatly decreased.

If u want a light racket with good power, u can consier Ti-7 light, or Ti swing power (but not cheap, if u're really concern about "clash").

Hope this will help a little bit.

3. Sean

Sean Regular Member

Hey thanks lazy buddy.I really appreciated the info! i didnt understand all that Jargon. But now I do. I dont have a steady double partner though. My skill level is quite high. I do play with the Sri lankan number 1 and ranked up to 10 in my country so I have to keep up to their standards. I do have another Airblade 2000 but I dont want to use that anymore. Neither do i want to use my Golden Carbonex 8 which is more than 10 years old. So Yes the Ti 7 is 85 - 89 grams, but however the Isometric Ti Swing power is 81 grams. Isnt this better? Also it states that the SR, SA is 81g but the SX and SS is 87grams. What is SX and SS???

So what would you say to this lighter racquet and also Why doesnt www.yonex.com have the Ti 10 on display? They only have the Ti 7

By the way, the Calton Ti Superlight is only 81 grams as well. How is this one?
    Which is better ? Yonex MP 88 or 100?

4. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    All the initials are just distribution locations and there are myths out there about some are better than others, therefore you might find CN, JP racquets more expensive sometime.

U is weight, higher the number, lighter the racquet. Each company have their own variation of how much weight each U covers but in general, 4U(80-84g), 3U(85-89g), 2U(90-94g), U(95g+). You will find exceptions such as Karakal's racquet, SL-70, which is only 70g!!:eek:

G is the grip size, and the higher the number is, the smaller the grip is. Therefore G2 is larger than G5. This is all personal preference and based on how big your hand is. You can always get a G5 and wrap a ton of grap to make it a G2 size.

Another jargon often used is the balance of the racquet, head-light, head-heavy, or balanced. That is fairly self-explanatory. Head-heavy racquet increases forward momentum and therefore increase power and swing speed, good for power, attacking, and singles player or back-court doubles player. Head-light racquets are more maneuverable and therefore good for defense, control, doubles net player.

If your game is in the smash, hence a more powerful game, why would you want something that like? (80-84g) A 2U racquet or 3U would be good for you. What is your price range that you are looking for?

5. Sean

Sean Regular Member

Actually price is not a problem for me. I have so many racquets at home. Getting one more will not be a prob. As long as i know I am spending good money on a good racq. Hey I am on ICQ, MSN and YAhoo. Can you add me to one of them so it's easier to chat and exchange info?

My yahoo ID is seanfer69@yahoo.com
    My MSN ID is sean_fernando@hotmail.com

6. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    SR and SA are light but also very flexible, where as SX and SS are stiff, (SX stiffer than SS). SX and SS are for powerful player, SR and SA are defensive.

Try www.yonex.co.jp they might have Ti-10 listed. I am not sure but Ti-10 might be discontinued? Heard that from my brother in Taiwan since I was looking for Ti-10 last month.

Not sure about Carlton racquets, but both mp100 and mp88 are great racquets, mp88 is light and versatile, more suited for doubles, need to spend a little more energy for that powerful smash. Mp100 is a great tool for those smash-happy people.

7. Sean

Sean Regular Member

Thanks a lot man. You have been a real big help. Hey if there is anyone who is a really good badminton player and can share tips with me, please do feel free to add me to your yahoo or MSN ok? I am going to start a yahoo chat room or a forum once I build up the number of people.
    My yahoo ID is : seanfer69
    MSN ID : sean_fernando

Thanks Lazybud....

8. ivan

ivan Regular Member

Student
    I though CH stand for China, CN/CP are sponsor rackets for China national team players.

9. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    To further clarify jwu's posting. The grip size used by Yonex is as above whereas those used by Winex is the opposite (i.e. G2 is the smallest and G5 is the largest) and I believed that Black Knight label theirs in inches.

Most retailers will stock smaller grip sizes compared to the big sizes since it is a lot easier to increase the grip size by utilizing overlay grips than to decrease a grip size.