Reaching the drop shot to backhand

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by GeorgeRowling, Aug 9, 2009.

1. GeorgeRowling

GeorgeRowling Regular Member

Hi everybody I have a problem with reaching a drop shot to my backhand side because of my bad footwork. I am left handed (in badminton) and I have trouble moving my left foot first to the shot.

I can't reach the drop fast enough. If I play a decent opponent and he recognizes this weakness, it is very easy to beat me. One of my first thoughts was to move my base slightly to the right but I am a slow mover around the court (I am trying to get more fit) I would like my base to be as middle as possible.

My question or questions is/are how do I stop my bad habit and are there any exercises that I can do to improve my speed and endurance? Yes running but I am not very fit and I can't run for long distances. Thank you!

2. darkwingduck

darkwingduck Regular Member

Nothing
    if it's coming fast you should only use one step with your racket leg to take the drop after the split step.

if you bend the knees and a little forward it is easier to get there in time.

#2 darkwingduck, Aug 9, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  3. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    for 1 if your left handed for quick footwork you should try cutting out the first step. IE stepping with your left foot first. If your in the ready position all you need to do is step off your nonracket foot and lunge towards the net. WIth your racket extension on your arm and a normal lunge you should be well within range of the shuttle.

The more steps you take in the process the slower your going to move.....

4. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    You could do what Peter Gade does. He essentially has a base position with his dominant foot pretty far in front of him so he faces his backhand corner, can sidestep to his forehand, and with an arcstep, he can easily reach the other corners.

5. GeorgeRowling

GeorgeRowling Regular Member

Thank you for the ideas. I will try them all tomorrow and hopefully solve this problem.

6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Actually, if you're stepping in, you should be moving your right foot first, followed by a lunge on your left foot. Have a look at movement to the front corners (from my footwork guide; be sure to select "left-hand" from the options menu).

If you're using a chasse, then "left-foot first" is correct.