about net shot shot

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Gold-, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Gold-

Gold- Regular Member

-
    which slicing is easier to do and give better chances for the shuttle to move over for right handle . forehand hand slice right to left of left to right

and backhand slice left to left to right or right to left.

2. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Am not to sure if I know what you mean but in general slicing al takes practice. The easiest slice which u forgot to mention is the forward slice to the net.

Ave the racket face angled to the net and simply push the racket forward, this makes the shuttle tumble a bit and fall over the net

But if I understand you, if am taking a shuttle at the net forehand side, (right handed, right side) I wud normally slice right - left.

And if I am taking the shuttle at the net backhand side (left side), I wud normally slice left - right

I find this easiest but am no expert, if any1 else thinks any different, please say otherwise

3. dazednconfused

dazednconfused Regular Member

For a spinning netshot you should almost always 'slice' outwards. Not sure if slice is the right word, sounds too violent somehow!

As in, for a right hander: Right to Left for a backhand net shot and Left to Right for a forehand.

Peter Gade demonstrates the forehand one here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAhQj6XmWEo&feature=PlayList&p=B37128A1AC2DEC48&index=0

Doing it the other way gives you far less control and consistency. The shuttle will also tend to pop up too much and should be killed in most situations by a decent level player.

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    For the forehand-side netplay, both forehand and backhand slicing can be used

From info gathered from my many trainees over the many years, it's found that;

(1) For the forehand-side netplay, both forehand and backhand slicing can be used.
    * For the forehand slicing (for a right-handed player) on the forehand-side, both left-to-right and right-to-left actions are just as efficient.
    * For the backhand slicing (for a right-handed player) on the forehand-side, the left-to-right action is found easier to perform.

(2) For the backhand-side netplay, the backhand slicing is most commonly used.
    * For the backhand slicing (for a right-handed player) on the backhand-side, the right-to-left action is found most easy to perform.
    * For the backhand slicing (for a right-handed player) on the backhand-side, the right-to-left action is quite difficult to control.

5. jerby

jerby Regular Member

At Chrisss: if you take the shuttle with your forehand on your backhand side, you can do some sick deceptions :eek: (though, it's quite difficult, you have to twist your wrist quite heavily)

My take on it is this: one should be able to do almost all of the possibilities, because the shuttle spin is so hard to control and shuttle always come at you from different angles.

An example of what I mean (Because I think I sound kind of vague...) (for right-handers, btw)
    Your opponent play a crosscourt dropshot to your backhand side, or maybe a cross netshot, the idea is the same. The shuttle comes at you at an angle, so what do you do?
    If you slice it right to left you will take the shuttle further to you backhand corner, and if you're close to the line, it can go out of bounds really easy. So clearly a slice left-right will give you a good safe margin and lots of spin.
    Now, Imagine the exact same sistuation, but your opponents dropshot doesn't really go to the line, but lands a lot more in court, say, a foot (30cm) from the lines. In this case, a left-right will give your opponent an easy shot, a right-left is a bit more difficult, but gets the shuttle way closer to the line

So, my point is really that there're no set rules for left-right or right-left, use your imagination, and look at the situation you're in.

6. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    I find:

Close to backhand sideline: Backhand, spin towards the sideline.
    Close to forehand sideline: Forehand, spin towards the sideline.

Center: Forehand, spin to backhand side, or Backhand, spin to forehand side.

7. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

For the fh-side netplay, both fh and bh slicing can be used (repost with correction)

Read my post again, and found a typo (in red). :eek::eek::eek:
    Will now repost with the correction made.

From info gathered from my many trainees over the many years, it's found that;

(1) For the forehand-side netplay, both forehand and backhand slicing can be used.
    * For the forehand slicing (for a right-handed player) on the forehand-side, both left-to-right and right-to-left actions are just as efficient.
    * For the backhand slicing (for a right-handed player) on the forehand-side, the left-to-right action is found easier to perform.

(2) For the backhand-side netplay, the backhand slicing is most commonly used.
    * For the backhand slicing (for a right-handed player) on the backhand-side, the right-to-left action is found most easy to perform.
    * For the backhand slicing (for a right-handed player) on the backhand-side, the left-to right action is quite difficult to control.

8. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

One should be able to do almost all of the possibilities

This is true. One should be able to do almost all of the possibilities.

This is especially true if/when our opponents have never seen our action(s) before. This is because they do not know what to expect under that circumstance, and they will be, more often than not, be shocked and/or be deceived. :):):)

#8 chris-ccc, Aug 10, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  9. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

That's when we have set up for us to do our BIG SMASH

Yes, by;
    Close to backhand sideline: Backhand, spin towards the sideline.
    Close to forehand sideline: Forehand, spin towards the sideline.
    it would cause more hesitation to the reply the spin (because it's not sure if it's going to be in or out).

And if our spinning/tumbling netshot is replied later/lower, then we should expect a safer return like a BIG LIFT, probably landing somewhere at our mid-court. That's when we have set up for us to do our BIG SMASH, to win the rally. :):):) .

#9 chris-ccc, Aug 10, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  10. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Yes, you're right in that, and not to mention it's the most natural feeling as your racquet action will have the same direction as the motion of your body.

11. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

This is a very technical subject, and needs some care to handle properly. For now, I'll just say that it's worth becoming familiar with all directions of slice.

There are arguments in favour of particular slices in particular situations, but it's not clear that any one direction is preferable in all situations. Often a player is simply more skilful with one direction (he finds it more natural), and therefore feels it's "better".

We can get into discussion about the "natural spin" of the shuttlecock, but that's an arcane and disputable subject -- a subject that I consider of uncertain utility. ;)

12. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Technically, any sliced net shot taken at the net, is best executed against the rotation of the shuttle. As the shuttle rotates naturally anti-clockwise, any sliced net shot is best taken against its natural rotation. This is illustrated by Peter Gade's demonstration. The reason for hitting against the natural spin of the shuttle is to force a faster shuttle turnover. This way the shuttle seems to gyrate or wobble and then tumbles or drops like a piledriver instead of having a longer wait for the shuttle to turn over.
    In badminton, basically there are two main types of shots insofar as shuttle turnover is concerned. Shots like a smash, push, and similar shots which are hit down will have no turnover. Shots like high clears, net tumbles, slow but high drops that go up and then fall vertically, sliced short serves, etc will have shuttle turnover. An example is a very high clear where the shuttle turns over more steeply-it may even gyrate at its peak height-and then as it descends it moves inwards as a result of both this peak wobble being reinforced by its natural anticlockwise rotation.
    Of course you can spin a net shot any way you like but the turnover will be different between spinning it one way and spinning it the other way.

13. saifiii

saifiii Regular Member

do the intended directions of spin imparted change with one being a lefty or a righty. i mean the distal or medial movements of the wrist

14. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

It seems that different people have different have theories about this. ;)

Damien Rice (an England MS international) wrote an article for the Badminton England coaching magazine, where he advised exactly the opposite: for maximum spin on net shots, slice in the same direction as the shuttle's natural spin (so from right-to-left). He argued that you want to add to the existing spin, rather than cancel it out.

I'm not saying you're wrong -- far from it, you may well be right -- but I'm extremely sceptical of these theories. At present, I don't have enough reputable sources to see a pattern emerging, and "amateur physics" arguments must be taken with a hypertension-inducing pinch of salt. ;)

15. jerby

jerby Regular Member

All these theories are just to get one result: maximum spin on your netshot... Which is I could argue it not really the most important thing.
    If you ask me, the most important thing is control of your own shot! No matter how hard to can spin it, if it goes 5 inches over the netcord, you're still doomed.

I can imagine at least a dozen situations where the "only spin it X way" just fails to give you control.

Say your opponent does a cross netshot, will you risk spinning it out of court?

Say your opponent does an inside-out netshot (on his forehand left to right, or his backhand right left, with this terminology it doesn't matter which side you advocate, ecause it is applicable to either forehand or backhand, either left/right or right/left) close to the line, would you still spin in to the outside?

Say your opponent does an outside-in netshot, landing it save and simple within bounds, would you spin it outside in (making it even easier for him)?

There're just so many specific cases to be labeled "exception to the rule" that I start to wonder if there even is a rule :eek:

16. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

As jerby explained, there are many nuances to choosing the best direction in a particular situation. Selecting an ideal direction of spin isn't tremendously useful when there are so many exceptions.

In a completely neutral situation, there may be an ideal direction of spin; I don't know. But if I wanted to improve my own skills in this area, I'd practise responding to particular situations and finding what style of spin works best.

Things to consider: what type of shot has just been played (drop, net, block, push)?; what angle (straight, crosscourt)?; what direction are you moving in (fairly straight, or heavily crosscourt)?; is there spin on your opponent's shot, and in which direction?