what is that small white line for?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by sudheerk, Aug 10, 2009.

1. sudheerk

sudheerk New Member

software engineer
    i have seen seen small white line which is at back box,i been thinking that it is used to ckeck the shattule fast am i right?

2. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    That is correct.

Stand at the back line and wit an underarm swing, hit the shuttle as hard as you can, it shud land between these 2 small lines or is it 1 line, i cant remember lol :p

3. keith.roche

keith.roche Regular Member

it has to land between the 2 lines. If it doesnt, either the shuttle is not of the right speed or you are not strong enough :p

4. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    I always wondered about that bit.

I know it's supposed to be to compensate for varying air pressure at different altitudes, temperatures etc, but...

Should beginners be playing with a faster shuttle, and do pros use slower shuttles?
    Surely if one of us mere mortals could land a shuttle between the lines, then a pro would be able to hit way out the back of the court?

I mean, pros can already smash twice as hard as me. If they're doing it with slower shuttles too, then that's even more impressive/embarassing for me.

5. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Temperature and altitude determine the standard shuttle speed. This standard is based on an advanced player's ability to hit the shuttle from baseline to baseline. The two short lines bracket the doubles back service line, roughly equivalent to a distance of between 12.4 meters to 12.9 meters from the basline of the opposite end. The reason for the standard is to ensure advanced players can use a suitable shuttle speed to hit from baseline to baseline. At sea level and with a temperature in the hall of between 22 degrees C to 28 degrees C, speed 77 is the standard.
    Not all players are advanced, which means they are not likely to come close to hitting a standard shuttle speed from baseline to baseline. In such cases such players should use a higher shuttle speed, say speed 78 or 79 instead of the standard speed 77 for that particular hall. This change to a higher speed will enable them to send the shuttle to the baseline and enjoy the game. Too often, less than advanced players suffer the agony of using standard speed shuttles that they cannot send from one end to the other end. Such players are depriving themselves of playing the full length of the court. But a sudden switch to a more suitable higher shuttle speed may need some time to get used to, as oftentimes the player will complain that the new higher speed shuttle is too fast, that is relative to what they were used to. Any shuttle irrespective of its speed rating that cannot be hit beyond a distance of 12.9 meters cannot be considered too fast by the hitter.
    Try this shuttle speed test on the court. I would not be surprised if most of you cannot even come close to 12.4 meters let alone 12.9 meters.