Least weighty 'base' grip

Discussion in 'Grip' started by Blitzzards, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

Hi guys, I'm planning to buy a Trump TurboPower 900 Power (clone of the Yonex Armortec 900 Power obviously) and will be trying out the use of an overgrip on the handle. Since the addition of an overgrip over the 'base' grip will add considerable weight/mass on the handle, it will shift the balance point to more headlight which is not what I like.

What I want to know is if you guys have experienced this and have resorted to using a very light or thin base rubber grip (which also protects the wooden handle) where the addition of an overgrip (am thinking Yonex AC102EX) will not change the balance point of the racquet. Should I also consider not having the base grip but instead just wrap the wooden handle with water-proof medical tape (I'm using Leukoplast - it's the 'base' for my racquet grips now with half of towel grip to maintain balance point, although balance point is still shifted slightly due to the mass of towel grips).

2. mindfields

mindfields Regular Member

Have a look at some Gauze grip to build up base layer. It's light & thin so you can gradually build up to your desired size. It also doesn't have any give so you don't end up with a spongy grip after you put your overgrip on.

3. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

Thank you mindfields, you mean one of those tennis gauze grips right? I'll get one when my racquet is here.

4. mindfields

mindfields Regular Member

Yeah, I think so. Stuffs pretty cheap & you only need to use it once (assuming you get the size right).

I've only ever bought one roll & done a whole bunch of people's racquets.