Canon Powershot SD780 - heat issue?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by LazyBuddy, Aug 11, 2009.

1. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Ok, I am not a photo / camera expert, and I don't use fancy toys to capture motion pictures, I only use point and shot for some trip pics. ;)

So, received Canon SD780 in mail yesterday, and immediately took about 30-50 pictures (mostly using flash, due to dark room). Then, I noticed there are 2 sections really getting warm. One is the top left corner, which is right next to LCD. The other is the front right side. Yes, I know my room temperature was high, and my hand was warm, but I never experienced anything this warm with other cameras.

To compare, I used an older SD1000, taking same amount of pictures with flashes. Of course, it getting just a lil bit warm, too, but barely noticeable.

Of course, I am not saying it's that hot to burn my hand, but noticeable warm. Like you are put your hand next to laptop fan / battery, after it's been running for a while.

I understand that SD780 is ultra compact with 12M and 2.5' LCD. So, a rather powerful camera within the smaller chasis might not be the best for heat release? :rolleyes: Just want to confirm with the experts here to see whether it's normal or not. I say I will seldomly taking these much picture with a short period of time (30+ pictures in 5 minutes, with flash)

Anyway, so far all the pictures come out to be very nice. :p

2. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    most likely the SD780 has more powerful flash than SD1000. recharging the flash will produce heat. as for the right side, i have no idea then.

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Thanks. Yeah, the SD780 looks has better flash, as the pic appears to be brighter / clearer in dark room. Also, SD780 is noticeable thinner than SD1000.

I can only think the right side (looking from LCD side) is warmer probably due to the battery (bottom right) and processor (with LCD / lens taking 3/4 of the left side, and battery / SD card taking bottom right, so, processor mostly at the top right).

Anyway, guess I will just get used to it. Otherwise, use it at a portable toaster for bacon and egg might not be too bad. :D

4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Nice little digicam..

..dear LazyBuddy, although i haven't test-driven your particular digicam, from what i've read from the reviews, your new digicam has received many positive feedbacks...It's capable of recording HD videos, too!!:cool:
    - Same deal with me. If not shooting fancy/sports related shots, then i'd use a regular P&S camera. Are you going on another vacation? honeymoon? back to HK, again?
    - I haven't read any issues with the heat coming from the camera body. But yes, since it has a slim & hip design, the slight increase in the heat you felt is most likely because of the chasis and the location of the flash. Processor could also play a factor, since it's somewhat a high performance P&S camera.
    - What are you doing taking pics w/flash in a dark room?!?!?!...I hope there wasn't any hanky panky going on...:eek:
    - You can try heating up your digicam even more by taking more pics, but then it will drain the battery life.
    - Yes, please share with us the very nice pictures you took...But if they're private pics, then nevermind..;)
    - You can use the camera for a hand warmer when Winter rolls around in the Big Apple..;)

#4 ctjcad, Aug 11, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    The camera will be used for my honeymoon in Maui, so I have to make sure it's working perfectly. Otherwise, I might see a frying pan flying to my head in no time. :p

My room is dark, but not like no light. I usually keep the light to be min. when I watching TV, playing with computer, etc. On purposely picked this room, to test out the flash.

I guess it's very hard for me to describe how "warm" it is, when compare to my older cameras. It's just very noticeable, and the spot is actually kinda away from the flash. :rolleyes: Anyway, I assume it's the battery / processor, as the small thing does pack a lot of power.

And mostly, I will hardly ever taking 30+ pics with flash in 5 minutes again. So, assume the extra "resting time" will help.

6. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^You should try..^^

..shooting/recording an HD video with your digicam; i read it's pretty good..Just to test drive it..
    For the price and the size, it's a pretty good little camera...

Hang Loose & enjoy your time in Maui!!:cool:

7. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    What? LB is married? Congrat!!!

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

#8 ctjcad, Aug 11, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2009