Question........

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Byro-Nenium, Feb 24, 2001.

1. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    This is just a general question to everyone. It regards the new scoring system thats set to be put into practise in the near future. I know its been discussed in an earlier thread; New Scoring Format.

But i just want to ask, who here is in favour or not in favour of the new scoring system and why? I personally object to the new alterations planned to be made to the game. I feel that it ruins the game and removes the thrill of it. It also destroys the mood of the game when played. (Btw i have tried the new rules).

I feel that the rules should be kept the same as they are now. I was dicussing it with people in the other thread and i'm wondering if anyone is interested in writing to the IBF regarding the rules. The IBF probably will change the rules anyway but i feel that its right to voice our opinions.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Re: Question........and answer?

Check out the ibf website and go to "calendar" with the schedule of events.

In the first few sentences, it says that the 5x7 scoring system will be played in tournaments up to the end of the year. I wonder if that means there will be another review near the year end and thence a decision on the scoring system.

My personal feeling is 15 points a game, well, lots of games could be made more exciting if shorter but perhaps 9 or 11 points would be better.

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu

ya, 7 point game is just too short. One dont have enough time to change tactic during the game. The short score format suits weaker players as best out of 5 games would give them more water break. Didnt IBF tried 9x5 scoring format before? Why dont we hear comments from top players? they are the ones who lose the most because all their live they train and play under 15x3 system.

4. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer

No, because they're the real winners if the sports gets more TV coverage (which is the idea behind the 5x7). Why would they complain if going 5x7 means they get better sponsor deals and more money?

5. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad

Because the new rules ruin the game. Its no longer traditional badminton anymore, its commercial badminton now.......

6. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT

If 5x7 can raise the awareness of badminton, it may not be too bad. When I knew how much a top badminton player earns, I was really surprised ......

7. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer

But hasn't badminton been a commercial sport for a very long time? As soon as you get professionals it's all about business. Non-profit sports are anachronisms.

Personally, I don't think the new rules ruin the game. Sure, it has its drawbacks, but I think there are benefits too.

Although this is quite a drastic change, we've seen similar things in other sports. Remember when they changed the racquet head size rules in mid 80's? That really changed the pace of the game. And more recently, they changed the size of the ball both in football, tennis and table tennis. This has changed the way these sports are performed. But, after a brief period of adjustment to these new circumstances, those who were on top before the change came out on top again.

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu

yes, you got a point there. Remember, this 5x7 format is a gamble by IBF to get more commerical exposure to badminton. It is not a guarantee that top players would get better and bigger sponsor deals. On the down side, these current 'top players' may not be in top for too long if new and 'less endurance' players start beating them.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker

But you never know until it's tried out.

I'm still sitting on the fence.
    I don't understand the fuss to be honest.
    Each game has to evolve with different times and badminton is forced to because of other external factors in order to survive.
    Just like technology changes, racquet changes, string changes, footwork changes, fitness changes......why not changes to the rules.
    Nobody has produced very concrete evidence of the "harm" of changing the scoring system. One just has to keep an open mind on the matter.

10. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    HEY ALL!!!!

Hi, just to let everyone know, those of you who aren't in favour of the new rules pls see the new thread called "the 5x7 petition... " thanx!