Use of muscles

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by raymond, Oct 17, 2002.

1. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Can someone(s) sum up which muscle group is important for which aspect
    of the games, and effective ways to train it? E.g.

Which is important for explosive start in footwork?
    Is abdominal muscle important for anything?

I understand the importance of general conditioning, and that one shouldn't
    over-train one muscle group (since muscle works in pairs). But I'd like to have
    a check list. Currently, I'm kinda neglecting my abs. Am I missing something?
    (I vaguely remember reading it somewhere that abs is important for smashes).

2. andymcg

andymcg Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I've read about some current studies that seem to indicate that your core muscles (abs, back etc) are the most important muscles in your body. If you have a strong core you can have better posture, balance and you can channel energy through your body better. They also say that if you have a weak core there is very little point in having strong legs, arms etc.

I'm currently trying to do a lot of core work (using a swiss ball mostly), but its kinda boring

:(

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Quite an interesting question.

As I've implied in another post, incorrect strength training may reinforce poor technique.

I don't think weight training is actually so popular in HK. If you are using the muscles correctly on court, shouldn't they develop more naturally?

However, I do see people swing a racquet with head cover around.

For explosive start in footwork, I think balance is the 1st thing that is needed. Incorrect balance will inhibit movement so much.

2ndly, I think 'explosive' needs to be used cautiously. A lot of us will put a lot of power into an 'explosive' movement. Unfortunately, we probably use two opposing groups of muscles at the same time which 1) wastes our own energy & 2) actually slows the movement down.

3rdly, perhaps we should use a word like "rhythm" for movement. Two quick steps then slower after the shot to regain balance. Then another quick step to reach the next shot.

4. andymcg

andymcg Regular Member

Software Engineer
    To try and be explosive, I try and do a very quick split step at the moment my opponent hits the shuttle. I drop down slightly by bending my knees, align my feet to the direction I need to travel in, and then drive off using the floor. Bending my knees gets my quad muscles involved as well as my calf muscles, theoretically increasing the power. It also introduces a stretch reflex action to the movement.

The only problem is that it can be hard to time the split step at the beginning, especially if the opponent is good at deception.

I like Cheung's idea of "rhythm" for movement though, it sounds like a good key word to remember.

Abs muscles for smashes - I think you need extra strong ab muscles if you do a lot of jump smashing. When you're in the air the action of kicking your legs up behind you and bending backwards to shape yourself like a bow can hurt in the stomach quite a bit!

5. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Hey andymcg, are these studies on the internet? Would you by any chance
    have their links? Thanks.

6. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    My biology is kinda rusty also. I know muscles work in pairs - one contracts
    when the other relax. The only time (that I know) when you'd "use" (read:
    contract??) both opposing groups at the same time is when you've a clamp??

If it's possible to contract both muscle groups at the same time, yeah, I
    can see how this could be counterproductive. I once heard someone who practised
    martial arts saying that he focused on training the tricep but try to avoid the
    biceps. The claim is that over-delevoped biceps (as in body builders) would hinder
    his speed in throwing punches, which involves straightening of his arms with triceps.

In terms of balance, let me picture this from the other way - lack of balance:
    it's the time when your center of gravity is outside of your base (feet). So I
    guess you're saying, trying to keep the C.G. inside the base as I move.

As for rythms, I guess I'd look for it next time I watch those professional
    tournament videos.

#6 raymond, Oct 19, 2002
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2002
  7. Slanter

Slanter Regular Member

8. andymcg

andymcg Regular Member

Software Engineer
    As Slanter has said, buy the book "Physical Training for Badminton" from the IBF site. It has more detail on training for badminton than any other book ever written. The only downside is that its not light bedtime reading!

Raymond - most of the stuff I've seen has been material a coach I know here has. He's used to lecture in sports science and keeps up with latest training techniques. I've got some links to training pages though:

http://www.playyourgame.com/twist_quickness.html
    http://www.playyourgame.com/twist_kneeankle.html
    http://www.playyourgame.com/twist_balance.html
    http://www.playyourgame.com/twist_flex.html
    http://www.playyourgame.com/twist_tips.html

I've posted some of these before, and while I know they are primarily about ice hockey I think some of it applies to badminton as well, as the exercises are for training a person to do short bursts of high intensity exercise, with many changes of direction.

There's loads of exercise pages for core strength out on the web as well. Just search for something like "swiss ball training".