Badminton TV in the US

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by singnflip4life, Aug 12, 2009.

1. singnflip4life

singnflip4life Regular Member

Full Time Med Student
    So I'm going to be subscribing to cable next year. I have no real preference in my provider, since I don't really watch a TV much beyond movies and dvds ^_^.

What WOULD swing my decision is, who has better badminton coverage? I'm willing to pay for this coverage. I often see videos from a network called "Super Sports" on the internet that others have uploaded, and many of these videos have english commentary (albeit sometimes poor ones). Is there a version of this in the US that I can subscribe to? It doesn't have to be Super Sports, just some kind of network.

For Location purposes, I'm in Davis, CA, USA, zip code 95616.

2. Fabrice

Fabrice New Member

Educator
    wob.tv

I would like to know myself.

Right now I'm using wob.tv but I am frustrated that they are not showing the first rounds of the world championship. I do hope that they got the rights to show the final rounds or else I'll be very frustrated and will not renew my subscription.

3. singnflip4life

Full Time Med Student
    Well currently, I go to badmintonfreak.com, and he's very very good at posting all the videos of each match that involve the top players, for MS, MD, WS, WD, and XD (mixed doubles, some say MX).

But I'd love to be able to see it on my LCD tv while on my living room couch. Granted I love watching, but being in front of the computer watching in my office at home is not the most comfortable thing.

#3 singnflip4life, Aug 12, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  4. modious

modious Regular Member

SuperSports and Astro SuperSports are cable channels exclusively available in Singapore and Malaysia respectively.

However, there's no live video streaming of these 2 channels.

#4 modious, Aug 12, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  5. singnflip4life

Full Time Med Student
    Darn. Thanks for the heads up Modious. Does anyone know of a channel in the US that shows badminton then?

6. modious

modious Regular Member

Unfortunately, I think very little badminton is shown on US Television. Even if it was shown, I believe they would probably only show some highlights.

7. warlock110

warlock110 Regular Member

not that I know of. That stuff is like none existing among the US TV programs. if badminton can get a place in the US it'll be great for the sport.

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

No live TV or cable channel in the U.S.

SuperSports is part of Astro cable network which caters the S'pore, M'sia regions. It is not a U.S. based channel & doesn't have any network/partnership.
    Unfortunately, the last time a U.S. network, ESPN, carried a World Championships event was in 2005 WC in Anaheim, CA.
    Best bet is to watch it through peer-2-peer streaming through FREE programs like sopcast, TVAnts, TVUPlayer, PPLive etc.
    ..as far as i know wob.tv only caters to European and maybe other parts of the world. I think they have broadcasting restrictions in the U.S. (or maybe they've changed their restrictions??)
    ..none. Webstream is your answer.:cool:

#8 ctjcad, Aug 13, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  9. Fabrice

Fabrice New Member

Educator
    Please tell us more about webstream? What application do you recommend?
    thanks in advance

10. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

11. singnflip4life

Full Time Med Student
    Not the exact query, but very close. The main difference is he's looking for Internet streams, whereas I'm looking at cable e.g. Comcast, DirectTV, etc to see if anyone knows if a cable provider has some kind of premium sports or Asian channel that had badminton sports coverage, like how ESPN covers sports for the US, NBATV covers everything basketball, TFCDirect covers all things Philippines, including the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA). At this point, I don't really care if it's in English or not, I'd just like to know if there is such a channel.

12. singnflip4life

Full Time Med Student
    Thanks for your effort and response ctjcad!

For some reason there's no edit button on my screen so I have to double post.

13. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Yes and no..and you're welcome..

..the above thread link was for Fabrice's query. Your query is not similar to the above thread link.
    Again, the answer to your query, of whether there's a cable/satellite channel in the U.S. which carries the BWF WC, is there is none.:cool:

Please follow the above thread link for the live webstream.

14. singnflip4life

Full Time Med Student
    Ah oops my bad. Sorry for that.

I suppose since no one here covers WC, I don't think there's one at all. Thanks for the help! Looks like I'll just have to stream it through the old laptop. Maybe I'll pick up a VGA or HDMI cable to connect my laptop to my TV.

15. Fabrice

Fabrice New Member

Educator
    thanks everyone. the image quality of CCTV5 on SopCast is very impressive. I have now to figure out if / when they are showing the games. So far I've seen a few reports in their news bulletin. I'm using a projector and home theater sound system which makes the whole experience very enjoyable.

16. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Impressive!!..^^

..wow, you're going all out, eh, with the projector and home theater SS set-up??..:cool:

As for the time, the scheduled time for the first matches of the QF Rd. will commence at 2:00 pm local (India) time. Which means, it will start around 4:30 am EST (east coast). Good luck & enjoy!:cool:

17. Genghis

Genghis Regular Member

Not sure if this helps but, when I was still living in New York, the Tennis Channel broadcast various badminton matches on their schedule. However, they were usually of tournaments a few months old and never live.

18. singnflip4life

Full Time Med Student
    Thanks Genghis! That does help actually, since I'm not planning on watching a 4AM match in college XD. I will definitely look into that.