What about HD video...?

Discussion in 'Badminton Photography' started by chouchoo, Aug 12, 2009.

1. chouchoo

chouchoo Regular Member

I know the forum is for mostly photography, but I'm thinking about buying an HD camera to record some matches. Any suggestions? Perhaps I might need a wide angle lens of some sort to fit the entire court without standing so far back and making everything tiny =P Any suggestions/info would be appreciated!

2. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    HD 720p or HD 1080p camera?
    better look for the highest frame rate, like up to 50-60fps. i know some cameras are capable of 720p at 50fps. as for 1080p, is around 20-30fps which is not so good for badminton video.
    sturdy tripod is a must.

3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

A few questions..

- What's your budget?
    - There are currently 2 available models of DSLR type camera which will allow HD recording: Canon 5D MkII & Nikon D90. But quite a lot of P&S cameras which can record in HD. The D90, however, can only record up to 1280X720 @ 24 fps while the 5DMkII can record up to 1980X1080 @ 30 fps:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60521
    - If you're looking into an HD recording, then go for the 1080p version. You can always convert down to 720p, but you won't be satisfied if you were to convert up to 1080p if you record in 720p.
    - Personally, i'd go for a camcorder if i'm going to record in HD. Tons of them out there.
    - There are wide angle lenses for camcorders.

#3 ctjcad, Aug 12, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  4. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Agree. If you are only looking for video, it's better to get a dedicated video recorder. They tend to be better optimised for their purposes. Many decent Full-HD camcorders around and the starting cost is quite comparable to the mid-range DSLR.

If you want to go really high end, look here :eek::D:p!

5. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I believe most dslrs with HD video recording capabilities cannot use the viewfinder (except for Panasonic's and Olympus' Micro Four Thirds cameras), cannot use auto focus when recording, and cannot make use of power zoom in recording mode. If you can do without any of these, then it might take more "cinemastic" movies because theri larger sensors allow the use of longer focal length lenses for that magical shallow depth of field. But they are not as versatile or as flexible as a dedicated video camcorder.

6. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member