Tony Gunawan/Howard Bach going strong

Discussion in 'World Championships 2009' started by the_way, Aug 13, 2009.

1. the_way

the_way Regular Member

After beating LWW/CTF and Morgensen/Boe, they are one of the favourite to win now. It is amazing to see how they are still going strong after winning WC 05 in Anaheim. With this, it shows that their victory in the past was not a conspiracy. :cool::cool::cool:

2. sting1988

sting1988 Regular Member

School
    I've always loved this pair...well maybe it would be better to see Candra and Tony but this is fine by me. Hope they win tomorrow!!!

3. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

yeah, they are very strong indeed in this tournament. in fact, they manage to beat boe/morgensen just now..their combination was really great. i think they will up against koo/tan tomorrow..i will be cheering for koo/tan 2moro..let's go mas:p

4. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    I was at WC05 and I was one of the skeptics who alluded a conspiracy when TG/HB beat Sigit/Chandra. Sigit/Chandra played fiercely and high pace beating Choong/Koo in SF, but in final, the pace slowed down and the smashes seems lightweight. TG/HB appear 'real' and playing well in WC09, good for them and baddy in USA. Anyway, if KKK/TBH beat TG/HB tomorrow, they should thank TG/HB for taking care of LWW/CTF and more importantly, Mor/Boe.

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Tony indeed is the god for MD at his age. Not to take Howard out of the equation, but have to say, Tony is the key for the success in the pair.

However, the real tests are down the road start from tomorrow. :rolleyes:

6. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Please note that Tony did play very well today ( been told ) that Tony knew where DEN pair would hit.
    It is not surprising that Tony knew the shuttles from DEN so well as he partners with BOE ( if I am not worng) until now in Denmark League...but against KKK?TBH will be much much tougher

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Was it much of a surprise??..

..as i've mentioned in the other thread, Tony & Howard had a very good shot of reaching the QF and they delivered. It'll get a bit tougher when they meet KKK & TBH in the QF, but i think they have a 50-50 chance of reaching the Semis, simply because of 1 reason: Tony. After all, with the absence of Hendra S., there are basically only 3 of the best front court players left in the MD: LYD, KKK & Tony G.
    The ultimate MD match, in this yr's WC, IMO, would be between Tony G. vs. LYD, should both of them meet in the Semis. I think if that were to happen, that should be the MD Final itself. Wow, what a match that would be!!:cool:

Abt the 2005 WC MD Final conspiracy, yes, it will just be a conspiracy. But a conspiracy that will be talked & mentioned about for a long time to come.

8. badders7

badders7 Regular Member

Correct, he has been partnering Boe for the last 2 years in the danish league. Impressively only losing 1 match in that 2 years (against Laybourn/Jonas Rasmussen)

9. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Abt the 2005 WC MD Final conspiracy, yes, it will just be a conspiracy. But a conspiracy that will be talked & mentioned about for a long time to come.

Right after the match at WC05, I talked with my 2 friends (these 2 guys are our provincial top players), and they also agree with me that they observed Sigit was holding back on the power smash and the pace was much slower than when they play KKK/CCM (that was an incredible game to watch live). Sigit reflex in that game against KKK/CCM sent awe/echo through the stadium with his incredible retrieve, speed (it was so bloody fast), jump smash, all-out attack, etc., also HB smash was featherlight. IMO there is no way SB/CW could have lost that match, esp it was a final. Well, I supposed a win is a win for the record book and that is what it counts. I am surprised you mentioned 'this conspiracy' thingie here too.

10. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^I didn't bring the "conspiracy" issue up..^^

...just mentioned it because the original poster brought it up. Yes, it was a hotly debated thread in the 2005 WC sub-forum..:p

Back to the upcoming match, KKK & TBH have a chance to beat Tony & Howard if KKK doesn't do his usual fancy, schmancy shots. IMO, both of them are quicker, faster and stronger than the U.S. pair. But we shall see..

11. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

Yes, the key is definitely KKK not TG. Less fooling/show off on the court would make him WC.

12. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

IMHO KKK has been going downhill. He is not as fast as he used to be. Even if he decides to be serious, he may not be able to match TG at the net.

That said, it's highly possible that KKK/TBH can take advantage of the age of the US pair.

13. arowana

arowana Regular Member

-
    Think the pairing with Bach (why does he have a german name btw?) makes sense. As long as he smashes hard it allowes TG to play his game. Not sure if pairing with Candra would work better at this point...

14. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    i would i say i wont surprise if one of them become winner

15. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Who is one of them??..^^

..who?? who??..

16. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    There's an interview where HB says he's "a chinese guy born in vietnam, with a german sounding name, and holding a US passport". Pretty much his last name is "white" in cantonese, just it is spelled "bach" in vietnam.

He looks like a good partner to TG...if he can keep his game going, then they will be successful in this WC.

17. yourbestfriend

yourbestfriend Regular Member

tony g can carry a partnership only so far.
    they will get pwned

18. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman
    KKK/TBH cannot take TG/HB lightly.....
    key point is to play fast and furios!!!!
    of coz less mistakes from MAS pair,
    TBH harder smash and KKK excellent net coverage....
    thats the key...

19. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

I'd love to see TG/HB vs LYD/JJS in the SF. TG and LYD represent the best MD players of the old and new even though I like TG better.

I have not seen TG/HB pair up since WC2005 so I'm not really sure what to expect. I last saw KKK/TBH at S(in)O2009. KKK is more fanciful but is not as good at reading the game as TG. If TG can keep his speed up, its unlikely KKK can get past TG. For backcourt, TBH will have a better range of shot but HB has damn good stamina (he's a smashing machine). TG's shot placing capabilities will be the biggest threat to KKK/TBH.

Cai/Fu looks likely to proceed to finals barring any screw ups. Their game has evolved a bit so it's 3 huge barriers for TG/HB to the WC.

20. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    I cant see TG/HB getting pass KKK/TBH... the game has evovle alot since 21 rally point ssytem...