Unbelievable!!!

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by JChen99, Oct 19, 2002.

1. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    My friend broke a MP77 3u TH today... how?? the rim snapped...
    ("Oh... that's normal"... is wut most ppl would say... especially when his racket was strung at 22 lbs)

BUT! BUT!! it's where the rim broke that was unbelievable. It broke at about 3/4cm away from the T... it just BROKE!

he's only been playing for 2 months or so with that racket. he babies the racket like hell... and the only time there might be any damage done to it is when he's smashing... he rims the birds a lot... and it would be loud... i mean LOUD!

I thought the T area would be one of the strongest points on the racket... i CANT BELIVE IT BROKE THERE!!

our hypothesis(me n some other friends) for this occuring is cuz he(guy with the MP77) generates too much power when he's smashing, and when the bird hit the rim, it actually fractured the fiber inside the rim... eventually, after a while, the rim couldn't take the punishment/stress anymore so with the 22lbs strung(2 months ago when he furst got the racket) on it, it broke

Any ideas anyone???:confused: :confused:

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    this is a pure rumor. the rumor is that TH and TW rackets are the lowest of the Yonex quality control. i was told by a retailer who sells TW rackets.

but this is a complete rumor. even less substantiated than the "rumor" that CN/CP/JP are stronger rackets. :)

3. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I have mentioned this before, i used to play with an MP55 that i bought in Bangkok about a year ago now. I liked the racket alot.

But later on, i got an MP77 that i loved and my MP100 started to break back into the top 4 that i would bring to the sessions. So the MP55 was ousted for quite a while. But later on i decided to bring back my MP55 to compare with the other 2 MPs. However that didn't work too well because the MP55 didn't last very long before the shaft completely shattered. I did a smash when i was off balance and the head of the racket hit my leg, the colour on the shaft split out like a broom stick. With graphite strips sticking out everywhere.

Ask anyone from BC_Singapore who was there that day. And get this, it wasn't even a match, it was just warm up....

4. modious

modious Regular Member

lol, yeah!

I was totally amazed at how it broke!

I mean, the WHOLE SHAFT looks like a broom stick with all the graphite trips sticking out. Extremely wierd and never seen before breakage. Too bad we didn't take a photo of it huh?

I knew you didn't really use that racket alot. So how and why it breaks.... whether it's durable..... we'll leave that to those reading to decide. :)

5. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    Wah lao, you reply so fast!

I just wrote that thread less than 5 mins ago......

Take photo? Still can u know?? I still have it! hahaha I'm siao enough to keep it! hehehe Gosh starting to sound so singaporean now.... :p

6. benfok

benfok Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    You guys are making me worry. But since I am not a very strong smasher, my MP77 should last a long time, just like my sweet boron-2.:D :D

7. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Haha! maybe i shouldn't have put the TH in there ^^"

i was amazed at WHERE on the rim broke... cuz it's suppose to be one of the strongest places on the rim

And lik I said, our hypothesis was that our friend was too powerful when generrating power for smash... NOT that the tacket is too weak:p

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Maybe the rim got damaged during "string" process. Someone told me that, sometimes a "rookie" stringer can really "internally damage" ur rackets by clamp it at the wrong spot.

Not sure whether this is the case.

9. Yong

Yong Regular Member

ICT consultant
    Wow, sounds familiar.

My friend broke a MP-77 2U BX in 3 weeks. And, the rim also broke at 3-4 cm from the T-joint.
    First, after 3 weeks, it looked like only some paint was chipping off.
    But a few days later, a large chip of paint was gone and a crack was clearly visible.
    The racket broke very badly after some more play. The racket has been sent to the distributer. Curious what they have to say about it.
    It was strung at 20 Lbs.
    My friend has a powerful smash, but he played for years with a 3u racket without problems. He doesn't remember mishitting the shuttle badly. And yes, he baby's his racket.
    Thing is, with his new MP-77, same specs, from the beginning he says the racket feels much better during play.
    Maybe just bad luck with a bably produced racket that shouldn't have passed the QA test??

10. Ti10

Ti10 Regular Member

Student
    I absolute disagree with who said that YY's TH is low quality. And I think that it can broke at T-joint like the other part like on the frame. Now I using Ti-10 TH and I really satisfy with it. My coach used to break at the T-joint, he said that it broke when he do very fast smash and suddenly take the racket back prepare for next smash.:mad:

11. Xero

Xero Regular Member

This is my opinion about why that MP77 broke.. I don't think it was because the player has a strong smash. I think its because he hits the bird too much with the rim... it wears out.. i think it around the same kind of thing like a mis-hit with the strings too much.. they break faster...

12. NVIDIA256

NVIDIA256 Regular Member

I just love them Yonex high-end rackets that everyone keeps breaking. Over at my club 90% of the incidents of broken rackets that take place are Yonex, and i'd say 70% percent of those are the MP series.

Ashway, Carlton and Froza I have never seem or heard of broken at my club yet. Although 2 wilson's have alreay broken there.

The racket I'm currently using has hit the floor many times, clashed into other rackets(about 3 times in doubles, all cases it was my partners fault) and even smacked my leg twice. Not even a crack or rapture in the frame, I'm glad I have decided to stay away from the hype machine rackets.

13. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    If u feel that the TH is not lower quality, you'll find that the quality of the other rackets are superb.

I used to own a TH racket and everyone saw how it literally "exploded"