What is the future of badminton racquet?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by benfok, Oct 19, 2002.

1. benfok

benfok Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    It seems to me that with the current technology, we have many execellent racquets out there. But what else can /should be do to a racquet to further revolutionize it the way aluminum racquet did to the badminton world?

I would like to know what of you think what the future holds.

Ben

2. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    hmmm - i suppose all that can really happen is that sooner or later a new state of the are composite material will come on to the scene which either cheaper, stronger, lighter or any combination of these that can me used to make racquet frames. I don't hold out much hope for any drastic change in shape. However i'm sure if somebody who studies genetic algorithms is reading this they may take the chance to use a powerful evoutionary computer program so develop the most effective badmiton racquet frame that still fits within the rules. All the tv aerials in the UK were developed using this method! there is still plenty of room for improvement.

See ya

3. trapped-never

trapped-never Regular Member

telecommunication engineer
    Strings will evolve

I think that strings have huge space for improvement. Durability and elasticity vers. temperature characteristics are still far from perfect. We can learn a lot from spiders. Imagine string with characteristics of spider string...
    Another thing to improve is shuttle. Artificial shuttle comparable to feather shuttle is huge challenge. I think that IBF should definitely financially support it's development. Good artificial shuttles can help badminton to become more massive sport. Not mentioning that sooner or later materials from animals will not be morally acceptable for general public.
    As for the frames I do not believe in substacial development. They will evolve but the changes will be dictated by string development. Size weight and shape are not likely to change in my opinion.

4. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    Racquet-wise, new materials, I remember reading a post earlier about rumor using magnesium or something to make racquet. Not sure. :) Just stronger material that is lighter, so you maximize swing speed w/o losing mass. Strings, definitely a place for improvement. Right now all the top strings have poor durability so that can be work with.