To upgrade or not to upgrade?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Laowai, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Laowai

Laowai Regular Member

Hi,

At the beginning of the year I purchased a Hi Qua stringing machine and started stringing badminton racquets. I must say I quite like this machine since it is portable and does a great job for the price. Unfortunately I would like an electronic tensioner and also I would like fixed clamps. I wouldn't mind a stand either since working over a table can be a little more difficult. Lately I have been stringing around 2-4 racquets per week which is not a lot but I enjoy doing it.

I will start full-time work soon so I don't have to worry too much about money (also stringing pays for its self over time). What should I do-

1) Nothing
    2) Buy a Wise tension head
    3) Buy a new machine

2. chewablemorphin

chewablemorphin Regular Member

Lifeguard, and a little bit of autobody
    If you're doing 2-4 rackets every week thats somewhere bettween 104-208 rackets a year, buying a better stringing machine is probably the best option. Electronic tensioners are pretty expensive, i'd go with a good handcrank tensioner.

3. Laowai

Laowai Regular Member

Thanks for the reply, a good manual machine is a good idea. That way I would get fixed clamps and the possibility to put a wise tension head on later. Unfortunately all the electronic stringing machines that have a linear tensioner are very expensive. It seems that putting a wise tension head on a manual stringing machine is by far the cheapest way to go.

4. Laowai

Laowai Regular Member

Just one more point. I wouldn't mind being able to string tennis and squash racquets as well and become a more experienced stringer. Is there much of a compromise stringing tennis and badminton racquets on the same machine (as in position of side supports, distance to gripper etc)? Is changing clamps a hassle?

BTW, it looks like I could get a manual machine with stand + a wise tension head for around $2000. To buy a machine with similar functionality (linear constant pull tension) as a single unit would cost alot more.

5. Laowai

Laowai Regular Member

Well it looks like I will order a Wise tension head and a standup manual stringing machine (without the windback tensioner). I might have to post some photos next week provided I go ahead.

Happy stringing!

6. Laowai

Laowai Regular Member

Sorry, no photos yet. I bought a spinfire blaze with a Wise tension head. The spinfire blaze is not the greatest badminton stringing machine since you can't get the gripper too close to the frame. The side supports, however, are in an excellent position. Just strung a racquet at 26 X 28 lbs with 10% prestretch. So tight! I love it. The old crank can't compare!

7. Resistor

Resistor Regular Member

Good stuff mate. I guess you got the machine from the Tennis Warehouse?

8. Laowai

Laowai Regular Member

That's correct. Shipping was only $20 plus he took $300 off since I didn't want the windback mechanism.

9. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

for the side-support, did they give you add-on for badminton one ?
    I remember there was a video using Yonex ES5 Pro machine, and it used add-on for the all 4 side-support for badminton.
    And this spinfire blaze side support is similar to Yonex one (design for tennis).

10. Laowai

Laowai Regular Member

I wasn't given add-on side supports specific for badminton. The current ones seem to do the job. To be honest though, I have been putting small pieces of old grip between the frame and the side supports as I feel this makes it much more secure. With this I have strung to 27lbs and I think I could quite easily go higher.

Is it possible to buy these badminton specific side supports from somewhere?

#10 Laowai, Sep 5, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  11. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

thanks for the tip, I also sometimes used the old-grip and put it between racket frame and the side-support.

12. chewablemorphin

chewablemorphin Regular Member

Lifeguard, and a little bit of autobody
    That is exactly what I do.

13. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

What does "The spinfire blaze is not the greatest badminton stringing machine since you can't get the gripper too close to the frame." mean?