do short people have to work harder for a fast smash?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Shadowdrgn20, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Shadowdrgn20

Shadowdrgn20 Regular Member

I've noticed that usually it's the taller people that have an easier time producing faster smashes. If a tall guy and a short guy had a smash at about the same speed, it always seem like the shorter guy had to give a lot more effort for that smash. Also, I've always noticed that around club level, people who are short are not usually powerful. This does not include short people that have a strong build.

So what do you guys think? I know that at the higher, professional level it's different. But usually around club level play, I see a lot of short people who are weak in strength, even though they're really good. As a result, I see many short people develop really strong defense. Do you think short people have to work harder for a faster smash? If you think about it in terms of physics. People who are tall have longer arms, which allows them to generate more torque. So if a short guy and a tall guy put the same amount of strength in the swing, the taller guy will have a faster smash right (technique not factored in)?

2. canti

canti Regular Member

Student
    I do agree that tall people tend to have a stronger smash. I think its partially because they catch the shuttlecock sooner on a clear/lift than us shorter people. Which is why you see shorter people jump smashing more. (I jump smash ALOT, I'm 5.6) But I like being a short player as it allows me to dash around the court with lots of speed and gaining power in my drives and kills with that speed. (if you understand what i mean) I also feel that short people or medium height people are better at receiving serves because we dont have to bend down as much to rush the shuttle.

3. warlock110

warlock110 Regular Member

no, stability is the key to a good smash, you're not stable you will not hit the bird at the right time and the right possition. Short people are much more stable than tall. At the club level they actually have an advantage, at the pro level, where the tall learned to be stable, the short end up loosing out on reach (can't compensate for that).

Notice at the club level, shorter guys are better at alot of things (speed, smash, power) ect... What short people don't have is angle, not power.

4. alexh

alexh Regular Member

Right. Tall people tend to have a more effective smash, because they can get the steeper angles. I'm not sure if it really is faster, it just feels that way when you're trying to defend against it.

5. Mathieu

Mathieu Regular Member

Student
    Short people also tend to have more explosiveness. Look at Markis Kido, he smashes harder than his partner, Hendra Setiawan (who is taller). Same goes for Howard Bach, a very short doubles player which is a hard hitter (he hits harder than his partner who is taller). Same goes for Jung Jae Sung aswell (he hits harder than LYD).

I know it's not the case for EVERY top doubles pair, but it's the case for quite a few of them. Of course, when it comes to angle or intercepting at the net, taller players tend to have an advantage.

6. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

How did you miss the glaring Fu Hai Feng (fastest smash) and CaiYun (taller but smash is whimp in contrast). :D:D:D

7. warlock110

warlock110 Regular Member

i have a theory about how they generate power, could be wrong, but IMO because of the shorter arms (like how you choked up on the racket), they have better control and timing and stability. all this will add up to a more explosive smash.

8. Mathieu

Mathieu Regular Member

Student
  9. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

I think so too. I'm not exactly tall... but taller than most of the local players. I do feel very awkward returning serve unless I bend down quite low. But ithat has the unfortunate side effect of looking silly at club nights where you're not supposed to be too serious.

10. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    yerrr its a bit of an allusion. Taller people dont have faster smashes its just the greater angle they get from their height. Makes it look like its unbelievably faster. In reality it just has less of a travel path before it hits the ground so in the end looks faster.

Short people can produce smash speed just as good as anyone else ;)

11. Something

Something Regular Member

I think short females have a harder time producing and learning how to clear far and well at first. Since taller guys can have the wrong techinque, but still clear far since they have more power and are taller. I find this depressing sometimes because I see people who has weird technique but they still clear really well. While, I took a longer time to learn how to produce good clears than they took.

12. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

It's possible that while growing up, a tall person will have more athletic advantage than a short person. As a result, the taller person participates in more sports, and develops general athletic ability and strength more than a shorter person.