User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 18 to 34 of 35
  1. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Australia, Brisbane
    Posts
    744
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    mine sits at about 140 - 150 when doing hard excersise or playing.
    Im still nowhere near fit enough!! silly injuries! haha

  2. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Canada, Quebec
    Posts
    106
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bradmyster View Post
    mine sits at about 140 - 150 when doing hard excersise or playing.
    Im still nowhere near fit enough!! silly injuries! haha
    When you say hard exercices, you mean intense cardio exercices?

    If so, depending on your age, you should be able to push alot higher than this, as it was stated before, it's not because your resting heart rate is low that your ''working'' heart rate should be low too. Or is it because you can't push as much because of your injuries?

  3. #20
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Augusta, Georgia
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    yellowduck,

    what's your numbers when your doing intense cardio, like sprinting or aerobics? Just curious as to if your playing number is on the same level as other exercises.

  4. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Australia, Brisbane
    Posts
    744
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathieu View Post
    When you say hard exercices, you mean intense cardio exercices?

    If so, depending on your age, you should be able to push alot higher than this, as it was stated before, it's not because your resting heart rate is low that your ''working'' heart rate should be low too. Or is it because you can't push as much because of your injuries?
    im 19 and have quite a good level of fitness. But nowhere near what i need or want to get to Top Level Badminton. This is because i get to the peak of my current training program than have had an injury so instead of starting my new harder training program and improving fitness lots, it stays the same or drops.

    And yes its while doing intense cardio workouts like pulse bike training and stuff. My heart rate gets to around 150 and doesnt seem to get too much higher. Maybe for sprints and stuff i think 160 or a bit higher. But not too high as my level of fitness is still good compared to average teenagers.

  5. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,527
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by neeraj1973 View Post
    Kriss:

    Doctors are not sure about the reason.Giving me two possible theories.1. blood clot in the heart.2. temporary Spasm in the arteries.God alone knows what that means.
    It would be prudent of you to find out the real cause of your problem. There are enough cases of very young, very fit, and leading soccer stars in the European soccer leagues who died sudden deaths when playing, to raise a red flag. There may be some undiagnosed problems your doctor is unable to find out. Because of such shocking incidence of sudden deaths amongst young soccer players in Europe, now every new soccer star signing must go through a very thorough physical, specially designed, on the heart and cardio fitness.

  6. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Canada, Quebec
    Posts
    106
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quoting an article from pub med central here:

    ''Results: The results confirmed the high demands of the sport, with a maximum heart rate of 190.5
    beats/min and an average of 173.5 beats/min during matches over 28 minutes long and performance
    intervals of 6.4 seconds and rest time of 12.9 seconds between exchanges.''

    http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/pic...tool=pmcentrez

    I'm just trying to show that, no matter what your fitness level is, it is NORMAL for your heart rate to go up very high when you are doing high intensity work, the research of the study mentionned above was done on Internationnal badminton players in Spain. If you are fit, your RESTING heart rate will be low, but your WORKING heart rate can still be pushed higher. For instance, If you are playing singles at a certain speed and your heart rate is at 160, it means you have the capacity to play at a faster pace and get your heart rate up to 170 or more (I'm talking about fit athletes with no medical conditions of course).

    What I mean is that if you are doing sprints and your heart rate only goes up to 150, it means that you are not ''really'' sprinting because by definitnion, a sprint should be ''all out'' effort, which means that you should reach your max capacity in terms of heart rate and leg power.

    I just hope the published data posted up here can help clear things out.

  7. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    hk
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    hi guys,thanks for the feedback. taneepak the part bout how much my heart rate drops in a minute after it peaks n rests... i do about 40. thats very comforting. augbad, i dont do any other form of exercise. the thought of going to the gym or non mentally stimulating workouts just puts me off. i occasionally play tennis. but the closest measure i can provide for my aerobic heart rate is when im in a very boring game with complete beginners or older folks, where im just placing shots and anticipating shots much faster than them, my heart rate is around 125, otherwise its about 140-ish for a decent game. im gonna strap on that heart monitor again and get more data. neeraj, thats very unfortunate. like taneepak, i do stress u go for further tests, perhaps a different hospital for 2nd opinion.

  8. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    524
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    when i was 25 and biking regularly, i hit resting heart rate of 40. it was measured with a HRM. nowadays, i don't even want to know...
    That is rather impressive, I don't think I've ever dipped below the 50s and I think the best athletes only reach the low 30s.

    As to maximum heart rate, I've reached above 200 before without having done the most strenuous exercise (I concede that I did this with a finger to my pulse, but I don't think it should be that inaccurate), so I think that I've reached or rather came close to my theoretical heart rate before.

  9. #26
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    3,989
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hiroisuke View Post
    That is rather impressive, I don't think I've ever dipped below the 50s and I think the best athletes only reach the low 30s.

    As to maximum heart rate, I've reached above 200 before without having done the most strenuous exercise (I concede that I did this with a finger to my pulse, but I don't think it should be that inaccurate), so I think that I've reached or rather came close to my theoretical heart rate before.
    Lance Armstrong and The Swedish long-distanse skier (multile olympic gold/medals) both peaked at a resting pulse at 32.. Miguel Indurain had a resting pulse of 28... :-)

    Cheers,
    T

  10. #27

  11. #28
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,527
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Slow resting pulse rate of 60 and below-people who have such a slow pulse rate are known as bradycardias-can be a good sign or a serious warning sign. A slow resting pulse rate of a fit sportsman is good; not so for a coach potato.

  12. #29
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    hk
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    when u guys speak of the resting heart rate. is that your resting heart rate courtside while waiting for a game or when u r home watching tv? silly question. i know.... yet...

  13. #30
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    81
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default SOOOO much wrong info

    It is important to always remember what you are talking about:

    Resting heart rate is when you are in no way excited and simply sitting or lying. This is for most people 60-80, but will when you get more fit drop. If you've got a heart rate below 45 you are either an elite sportsman or taking epo (possibly both :P). Most of us badmintonplayers will probably have a resting heart rate @ 50-65.

    You max pulse on the other hand isn't something YOU can change by getting more fit - it depends on your age and especially your genetics. Thus my 58 year old father has a max pulse of 215, and an 80 years old woman I've got to know through spinning has a maxpulse of 220. These 2 examples are of course quite extreme, but the 220 - your age formula is merely a rule of thumb, and without performing a max pulse test you will never know what yours really are.

    What you can change about your max pulse or max heart rate is how fast you'll get there. The more fit you are, the faster you'll get there. It would be silly if you had trouble getting your pulse up the more fit you get as your pulse is what determines how long your muscles can continue doing aerobic metabolisme.

    This being said - it is VERY seldom you will ever hit you max heart rate during a match as most duels take 5-7 seconds and then you get a break.

  14. #31
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    KL, MAL
    Posts
    697
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    my resting heart beat is around 60 and during games, my heart rate is around 145 and during long rallies, my heart rate will be around 185. however, i could not last more than 5 mins at 185 cause fatigue will kick in....

    nowadays, like kwun, i dont even want to know my heart rate cause it affects my game. why? i will tend to slow down before fatigue kicks in when i realise that i am playing at max heart rate....

  15. #32
    Regular Member Mark A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    St Helens, UK
    Posts
    4,435
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Despite being a big fat pig (225 lbs @ 6'0), my resting HR is 55-57 and I can easily sustain 160+ for 40 solid mins on the cross/elliptical trainer three times a week. Lucky me...

    There is a more complex formula for finding max heart rates

    http://exercise.about.com/cs/fitness...g/karvonen.htm

    that takes resting heart rate into account (which, IMO, is a crucial parameter); I've been told by several medicals that the heart rate recovery (time to fall from max to rest) is by far the better indicator of fitness, though.

  16. #33
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    268
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    My best was 45 or so when i was rowing . Now, its closer to 55-60.

    To comment and correct some info:
    the average heart rate is given as 72 bpm. Anything up to about 95 is ok. It varies depending on your size, any medications and level of fitness/stress etc. many variables.

    the usual formula for max heart rate is 220-age. Now that said, ive personally exceeded mine . Numerous factors can influence this, including size of heart , innervation and levels of certain electrolytes, so its not really something people need to worry about. Its only an average and a rough guide.

    Resting HR is a good measure of general cardiovascualr endurance. Endurance atheletes (cyclists, long distance runners, rowers etc) will have lower HR than sprinters , badminton players , etc, as we dont train for beat to beat efficiency, but for lactic and anerobic endurance, and "short bursts with quick recoverys". I confess I dont know the reason our sprint training doesnt bring the resting HR down as much. Ask a physiologist

    Your HR during exercise is reflective of how hard youre pushing yourself. It is not possible to measure how fit you are by measuring this, so there is no point in comparing - a few more jump smashes and everyones is up an extra 15 beats per minute. Its just not scientific . How quickly you recover though, and return to lower level of resting pulses is a far more important measure.

    The best way of seeing if your fit enough, is to measure your time to run a certain distance as fast as you can, or simply, play as hard as you can against somebody good, and see if you can maintain 100% . Bleep test or "erg tests" are good measures also.

    The last thing I'll add to the discussion, is that im very sorry to hear about some people's medical issues. We all can imagine how terrifying it is to have a health scare, but I would implore these members not to listen to anything on these forums. Im a medic, and I will not offer any opinions or advise. It is unreliable and dangerous to comment when you dont know the full story and there are many " experts " hanging about the internet with many ill informed opinions. Please dont take medical advice from anybody but a qualified professional in person.

  17. #34
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,064
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bradmyster View Post
    im 19 and have quite a good level of fitness. But nowhere near what i need or want to get to Top Level Badminton. This is because i get to the peak of my current training program than have had an injury so instead of starting my new harder training program and improving fitness lots, it stays the same or drops.
    Sounds like me except I get sick for extended periods of time I can't tell you how frustrating that is. To work so hard and build up your stamina, only to lose it all from getting sick

    I think I max out at about 180, 190 when I'm doing high intensity interval training.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Using Heart rate monitors for Badminton
    By illusionistpro in forum Clothing & Footwear
    Replies: 10
    : 01-20-2013, 08:32 AM
  2. Rate and Critique my Singles Game (Videos Included)
    By Stratlover in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 31
    : 05-11-2012, 08:54 AM
  3. How useful is monitoring the heart rate?
    By Hierkommtnils in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 13
    : 11-19-2007, 03:46 PM
  4. Heart Rate
    By Eurasian =--(O) in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 2
    : 03-13-2006, 06:30 AM
  5. Maximum heart rate zone in badminton
    By taneepak in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 15
    : 01-27-2004, 11:25 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •