maximum heart rate during game.

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by yellowduck, Aug 17, 2009.

1. yellowduck

yellowduck Regular Member

finance
    any of u measure your heart rate during game? ive been playing for bout 6yrs, i'd call myself an average player. im 30 now. i recently bought a polar heart rate monitor, tried it on during games. my resting heart rate is between 68 and 76. during doubles game it peaks at 180. in singles though it exceeds 200. ive since stopped using the monitor. mainly because for years, i feel like ive pushed myself harder than when i felt when the monitor exceeded 200. i am nevertheless worried, reason i bought the monitor was because ive heard of people collapsing in the middle of a game and dying as a result of heart attack.

2. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    at 180, it is not good.
    superfit pro players are around 60-80.
    try slow jog and swimming to be more fit. heart rate at 100-120 will be good for us.

3. yellowduck

yellowduck Regular Member

finance
    oh dear....that does sound like i have a real problem. fyi, i have been doing this for years.....n each time i just wash down the fatigue with a can of pocari sweat. drifit, r u a medical practitioner by any chance?

4. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    During a game I dont think a pros heart rate is 60 - 80!!! 180 is yellowduck's exercise heart rate which is OK for a hard doubles game and sounds about right to me.

200 is a bit high but then those heart rate monitors can b out at times and as long as its not at 200 for a long period of time! I was cycling up slight hill 1 day at medium pace but easy enough and my heart rate was 201 which i knew must of been a mistake! cause i went harder higher up the hill and it was at 185/190

5. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    me the medical practitioner? :p
    daily activities will affect your fitness. drugs, alcohol, smoke etc.....

6. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Ur fine mate trust me. Ur resting heart rate is below normal which is 80 beats a min so ur fairly fit then mate :D

7. jerby

jerby Regular Member

200 is indeed a bit high... If you are 30, then your theoretical maximum is 240-30=210.... But, but maybe your moniter is a bit off... Unless you start feeling chest pains you're probably fine...

As for 'what is normal'? In rest (as in, sleep) most people have a heart rate of about 60-70, very fit people can be as low as 35. In day to day life (working your desk job, walking around) 80 is just fine. But when we start getting active your heart rate gets a lot higher...
    When you run pretty fast (being very tired after 2-3min's) and your breathing very heavily, but your muscled aren't getting fatigued, you're probably around the 140-160 range: the Aerobic range. Above this you're muscles build up lactic acid and all that stuff....

Basically, just from your stats, you might just be a healthy person ;)

For info:http://www.spokanefitnesscoach.com/spokane-wpblog/tag/cardiovascular-fitnes/

8. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    The fitter a person is the larger the difference between his resting pulse/heart beat and his maximum pulse. If your resting pulse is say 58, considered a bradicardia, and your maximum is 200 without distress, then you are super fit and probably quite young. This huge heart rate reserve you have will serve you well-there is close to zero chance you wil get a heart attack. Another way to find out how fit you are is to find the difference between your maximum pulse rate during intense exercise and your pulse rate one minute after you stopped execising. If the drop is 30 bpm or less after one minute your chances of getting a heart attack are higher. If the reduction is more than 50 bpm then you have a reduced risk of a heart attack-you are quite fit.
    A safe miximum pulse rate varies with different athletes. To some 160 bpm is maximum whilst others can clock close to 200 bpm. Marathon runners have larger hearts and also have lower maximum pulse rate. Sprinters would register higher maximum rate at the finish line.
    A rough guide is 220 less your age, then depending on your fitness level, adjust this by a percentage deemed appropriate for you, i.e. 80%, 85%, 90%, or even lower at 60% to 40% for the lazy bones.

9. Swingbadabada

Swingbadabada Regular Member

Student
    Maximum heart rate is 220 - your age. However reaching your maximum heart rate is pretty hard, so really you should be below it. I myself used to have Wolff-Parkinson White Syndrome which used to lead to severe tachycardia, so I know my maximum heart rate was blown out of the water. In an ideal world you should be working about 85% of your MHR

10. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Maybe I am unusual because I have always exceeded my maximum pulse rate without any discomfort for decades. I don't play as strenuously as before but I have recorded 180 bpm 4 years ago when my maximum pulse should be 155 bpm. I had to slow down at 180 bpm although I did not experience any real distress, just a bit out of breadth. My maximum now should be 150 bpm, but how on earth can one play badminton with players from 17 years to 50 years of age without clocking at least 155 bpm? My resting pulse is from 56 to 58 bpm and I can still play doubles actively with players half to less than one third my age.

11. Swingbadabada

Swingbadabada Regular Member

Student
    Maximum heart rate is theoretically 220-age. However depending on how active or fit the person is it can vary.

12. Mathieu

Mathieu Regular Member

Student
    The average resting heart rate (for normal people) is arround 70-80. The average heart rate for athletes (not professionals) is arround 60-70. It is normal for you to reach high heart rates when you are working, this does not have anything to do with your fitness. Your resting heart rate and the time it takes for you to recover to a lower heart rate after an intense workout are both good ways of knowing if you are fit.

I did the test too and at the age of 20, I can reach 200 BPM if I am doing an intense exercice. When resting (laying down), I can reach as low as 46 BPM, with an average of about 52.

13. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    usually the for fit badminton players the estimation i use is 205 - age/2 . But it is of course best to do a real max-heart-rate test...

some heart rate monitors sometimes also have issuesand can "run away2 and produce erroneouusresult (I've think it is a bug, Ive seen that on Polar HR monitors a few times).

/T

14. neeraj1973

neeraj1973 Regular Member

I am 36. my normal heart rate is 58.Physically active since as long as I can remember.playing badminton for last 5 years. Normally singles. Never felt a thing while playing.Never monitored my peak heart rate rather never thought of it. During my regular checkups my doctor always told me that I am fit that is why my normal heart rate is 58-60. Never had Blood pressure or Sugar problems. Two months back 2 consecutive nights had breathing problems.Went to the doctor next day. ECG, Blood pressure normal.Third day in the evening again breathing problem.Straightaway went to the hospital.Abnormality in ECG detected.suspected early symptoms of heart attack(How? why? why me?).Hospitalized immediately. Next day angiography done. No blockage in any arteries.Last two months on medications.Doctors are telling me to start playing badminton again gradually.But lost all the confidence.

The point is not to freighten anybody. just an advise that if you have crossed 30- 35 be a bit extra careful.

15. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Thats unfortunate neeraj!

So was there any actual reason , that it happened to you? Diet , geneticaly?

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    when i was 25 and biking regularly, i hit resting heart rate of 40. it was measured with a HRM. nowadays, i don't even want to know...

17. neeraj1973

neeraj1973 Regular Member

Kriss:

Doctors are not sure about the reason.Giving me two possible theories.1. blood clot in the heart.2. temporary Spasm in the arteries.God alone knows what that means.

18. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    mine sits at about 140 - 150 when doing hard excersise or playing.
    Im still nowhere near fit enough!! silly injuries! haha

19. Mathieu

Mathieu Regular Member

Student
    When you say hard exercices, you mean intense cardio exercices?

If so, depending on your age, you should be able to push alot higher than this, as it was stated before, it's not because your resting heart rate is low that your ''working'' heart rate should be low too. Or is it because you can't push as much because of your injuries?

20. AUGbad

AUGbad New Member

student
    yellowduck,

what's your numbers when your doing intense cardio, like sprinting or aerobics? Just curious as to if your playing number is on the same level as other exercises.