Playing a slow pace is wrong?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by warlock110, Aug 17, 2009.

1. warlock110

warlock110 Regular Member

My partner complain about me slowing him down, and when he loses a match (single) against someone else, it's because of me making him slow because he adapts to my pace.

To my defense, he's a quicker dude, more athletic. I'm not gonna be stupid and play at his pace, in fact, i keep the pace varies on different shots to throw him off. I hang on to the bird a tiny bit longer on serves to catch my breath and be ready. I do that to all my games haha.

#1 warlock110, Aug 17, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  2. findecano1

findecano1 Regular Member

Customer Service Exec
    Not at all!

NOPE! Your friend is a sore loser. :p

Don't blame others it on others if he lost the games. Badminton is a finesse sport if you can't vary your pace then its your weakness.

3. skuo2003

skuo2003 Regular Member

It could just be that you guys aren't suited for each other. If he is used to playing more aggressively and you lift every net shot you get, he won't be comfortable playing with you. Nobody is wrong per se, but to his credit, you do generally get the advantage playing a more aggressive game than defensive, especially with rally scoring.

4. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    I dont' see how he cannot adjust his own pace between games...if he's losing against you playing slowly, how come he has to play somebody else slowly? It's obvious you're winning the battle when it comes to controlling the pace...if you're winning like that, why change?

5. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Are you guys playing singles (against each other) or doubles (with each other). If its singles, then good job controlling the pace. I think the main idea behind playing against each other is to win the match.

If it's doubles, you need to reconsider the partnership. If there is a pace difference between 2 players, it can be hard for each other to adapt.

6. warlock110

warlock110 Regular Member

playing singles against each other. AND then he plays single with someone else, then blame me for the lost because he claims "i got used to yours pace...".

when we play double it's not too good because either one of us has a kill shot, we don't score a whole lot. We win some games on defense, but without a kill shot, it's hard to score in double. Plus i'm not much of a double player, my drive shot is the worst shot in my skill set. During high school i played single 90% of the time, and even when I play double, i never got the mentality to play it right.

#6 warlock110, Aug 17, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  7. saifiii

saifiii Regular Member

that happens if u play against a single player for too long, u get used to reading his shots, tell ur friend to vary his opponents and he will stop complaining

8. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Well to be honest , its not your fault.

To be a good singles player , you must play against opponenets with all different styles.

In some tournaments , you will play 5 matches in a day. Each player in those 5 matches will have a different style , so he must adapt to their style.

9. wristworks

wristworks Regular Member

Whoa, I originally thought when you said "partner" that you two were doubles partners and he was complaining about you slowing him down. While that's still bad sportsmanship, I thought at least, maybe, that's understandable.

Am I to understand that you two are playing singles AGAINST each other and he's complaining that your slower style of playing is slowing him down? That's ridiculous! If I was playing against him, I would deliberately slow my pace down just to throw him off. If he can't adjust his game according to his opponent, that's his problem, not yours.

For the record, there is nothing wrong about playing a slower pace, ESPECIALLY if you know your opponent is faster than you. That, I feel, is something that takes a long time for a lot of young players to realize. For example, I'm a fast player (still fairly young). When I play against a student who's not as fast as I am, it becomes hugely problematic for them because they're used to the speed advantage being on their side. And when they find out I'm faster than them, instead of varying their strategy to reduce MY advantage, the only thing they know how to do is to try and play even faster to match me. When that happens, they start rushing and start hitting it out/into the net... at that point, I don't even have to do anything anymore.

So when you know your opponent is faster than you, sometimes, it's not about increasing your own speed past your own ability. Taking speed away from his game is probably just as effective, which, it sounds to me, like you're doing very well.

10. daiqi

daiqi Regular Member

im sorry but u play badminton.
    how do you play it slowly?
    also if he's not ure DOUBLES partner and ure beating him its cus he sucks at badminton. nothing to do with ure style :)

11. bad_fanatic

bad_fanatic Regular Member

Day dream about being a Pro Badminton Player
    What happen if its the opposite way around? Like you playing too fast, and when he meets an opponent that plays slow, he loses. Is he going to blame his lost on you because he's used to you playing fast?

Clearly he just doesn't have patience to play the slower paced game and that's his weakness. No one else. If he's good enough, he can force the opponent to play at his pace.

12. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    He needs to learn to play different people and to adapt. A truly good singles player should be able to change his pace and play both fast and slow without hesitation

13. Lordofthefart

Lordofthefart Regular Member

Student
    you know what pisses off players that think they're good? a really really slow player that kicks thier ass man do they ever get pissed lolol

14. williamboo

williamboo Regular Member

slow pace ppl pisses fast player off. so keep up with it, my bro and i are slow pace doubles although we can go pretty quick but we find it better to play with slow but each person preference is different so JUST DO IT YOURWAY!!!

15. keong2

keong2 Regular Member

manager
    Yeah. A slow player does not have much offensive skills eg. drive and strong flicks. You are bound by your lack of skills. When a game quickens, you are simply ill equipped to send return drives and flicks. To make matters worse, you do not have smashes, drops and chops in your repertoire to pressure your opponents ie. playing offensively. Slow means given the opportunity to kill a rally you do not do all the above.