how many sports drinks? diabetes?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by yellowduck, Aug 17, 2009.

1. yellowduck

yellowduck Regular Member

finance
    here's something i was told by a guy i met once on court and he claims to be ex-national team hk, several decades ago. anyways, he has diabetes and he associates it with the sports drinks he's been consuming all the years while training.

i play quite regularly and theres nothing like a cold pocari sweat/lucozade to give that extra boost in the middle of a hard session. i am worried tho....

anybody have any stories to share?

2. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Ul be fine mate, the body is using energy when exercising so therefore it needs to find that energy sumhow. The amount of 1s who drink sports drinks during exercise must b a pretty massive amount and Im sure only small handful have diabetes due to other causes!

Diabetes only reali occurs when eating sugary foods/drinks at bad times such as skipping gud breakfast & eating a Mars bar or snickers instead so u go from being very low energy - high energy and cause its sugar it goes to being low again fairly quickly. Its this quick change from low to high and high to low that causes diabetes!

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Don't worry about sports drinks. :D

4. xiaoheng

xiaoheng Regular Member

i dun think sports drinks will cause u hav diabetes... sports drinks is for u to consume to help u gain back some energy... and for a normal healthy person they hav enough insulin to convert the sugar in ur blood to energy u need... mostly diabetes is due to alot of factor... i myself hav diabetes but is not due to sports drink... dun worry:)

5. mindfields

mindfields Regular Member

Generally you don't have to worry about it.

When your exercising your depleting the sugars/Glycogen in your bloodstream.
    Energy drinks gets sugar into your system but as long as your exercising your OK. Once you stop exercising you only need enough energy drink to replenish your system. Drinking to much will cause your body to convert it into fat.

Think of it like a car. If you leave the engine on eventually your fuel runs out so you need to keep it topped up. As long as your not letting the tank run dry or over-filling it your ok. Fat people are pretty much keep filling the tank & never turning the engine on.

Diabetes is a problem with the Pancreas not making enough insulin to regulate your blood sugar.

Type one Diabetes occurs quite young & has hereditary links.
    Type two normally develops later on in life & can be triggered by "stressing" the pancreas so that it doesn't produce a lot of insulin. A lot of fat people have bad diets that include a lot of sugar and the body has to convert a lot of it into sugar, the pancreas just can't cope.

It's also why you get sugar highs & Lows.

If you eat a ton of sugar before exercise the body pumps loads of insulin into your blood to convert it into Glycogen & Fat. At the same time your exercising so all of a sudden your blood sugar drops really low.
    Eventually your your body realises it needs to convert fat or muscle back into sugars but it's a delayed process.

If your exercising the recommendation is to balance your energy & hydration intake/output levels. It's better to continuosly take energy in during exercise (i.e. small sips) but you have to balance the fact that it's bad for your teeth.

I think the current recommendation is to have one energy drink over the course of every 20-30 minutes exercise. Gulp your mouthfuls & don't swill it in your mouth.
    It might even be worth using a Hypertonic drink & washing it down with plain water.

6. biomik

biomik Regular Member

I actually think there are reasons to worry about sport drinks - especially those full of simple sugars. One good company to consider is Hammer Nutrition, their Heed sports drink and other products have moderate amount of cabs and none of simple sugars.
    http://www.hammernutrition.com/za/HNT?PAGE=PRODUCT&PROD.ID=4038

7. mojopin

mojopin Regular Member

Medical student
    howdy,
    regarding sports drinks , many have relativly low sugar loads such as lucozade sport and the other light isotonic drinks. The insulin spike is whats currently thought to be a big contributer to developing type 2 diabetes. the spike with low sugar drinks is fairly small, so its not a big deal.

Drinking lucozade origional however, or even simple coke-cola is a huge sugar load and is a bad dietary decision at any time , even when exercising, as you will still get the insulin spike.

To address the initial concern regarding the man you met, its very likely that he would develop diabetes anyway, as current thinking is that if youre going to get it , youre just going to get it, and behaviour and diet and exercise simply modifies when you get it, living healthily prolonging the amount of time you have healthy.

there has been alot of incorrect " facts" mentioned about diabetes here, but if your interested in learning more, i recommend http://emedicine.medscape.com/endocrinology and the diabetes mellitus section. I havnt checked the wikipedia stub , but its usually fairly ok.

BTW, Ask your docs if youve got health questions, not a badminton message board , as im only familar with 2 or three other members here with a medical background and theyre not always around to comment. :)

8. yellowduck

yellowduck Regular Member

finance
    my drink of choice is pocari sweat. *if u've seen the adverts on hk tv, u'd understand why. jap gal playing soccer, say no more*

anyways, back to topic. thanks for the information on diabetes guys. any chance u guys can quickly state how many sports drinks and brand u consume per week? i play twice a week. and average 2 cans per 2 hour sessions. ive done 4 over a serious 2hour singles session. so i'd say i take 4 to 5 /week.

how bout u guys? ive been having a slight numbness in my left thumb... so im a little paranoid. good thing i play with my right hand.

9. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    id say he probably didnt balance his water intake well enough. Because diabetes can be caused by overloading of sugars and some other chemicals into your body.

But unless you go hardout with softdrinks and energy drinks everyday and dont intake anyother form of fluids such as water then well theres gonna be problems in the end lol.

I still manage to enjoy a softdrink or energy drink when i feel like it. I just make sure each day im downing loads of water!!! i think i refill my bottle of water whilst im at work at least 4 times a day. Keep the balance in and youl be healthy just dont overload with the bad stuff!!!

10. mindfields

Simple Sugar Energy drinks have a single purpose. To deliver
    energy IMMEDIATELY to address low blood sugar.

High intensity atheletes use up blood sugar quickly and the body can't replace it fast enough. The only options are to slow down or start using muscle for fuel instead of sugar. High intensity atheletes don't want either of these things to happen so they use simple sugar energy drinks.

It might be easier showing this using numbers, e.g.

If you have 200 KCal of sugar in your bloodstream.

Body can convert fat to sugar at max rate = 300 KCal/hr.
    Digestion of Carbs to simple sugar = 400 Kcal/hr.

HI exercise = -1000 kCal /hour.

So:

If you where exercising at 100% after an hour you would have:

200 + 300 +400 - 1000 = -100
    You would have to slow down or burn up muscle to make up the 100 Calories & you would have no more energy left.

If you drank a 300 Calorie simple sugar Energy drink over the course of an hour you get:

200 +300 +400 +300 - 1000 = 200.
    Your blood sugar levels are normal & you've not had to slow down or burn muscle. (you'll still be tired due to oxygen debt, lactic acid etc)

Drinking 2 energy drinks means:

200 + 300 + 400 +600 - 1000 = 500.
    Your blood level is to high. Your pancreas has to pump out Insulin to handle the 300 extra KCal & bring your sugar levels back to 200.

If your exercising below the 700 KCal/hr level (300+400) then you don't need an energy drink.

Having a complex sugar drink doesn't help. It just adds to the stockpile of carbs in your stomache that gets digested at 400 KCal/hour. Your body can't digest it quicker. (Obviously if you've not eaten then it's useful)

Looking at real numbers now. Looking at http://www.nutristrategy.com/activitylist.htm
    Competitive badminton is 500 Kcal /hour. A bottle of 330ml Lucozade Energy has 266 KCal.
    Sooo. If you've not had breakfast & are very slim then you only need to spread out 2 drinks an hour to keep your blood sugar levels even. For most of us I reckon one drink over the course of an hour is plenty.

#10 mindfields, Aug 21, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  11. biomik

biomik Regular Member

I completely disagree with the above reply. Read this article by Hammer Nutrition scientist to see the alternative view on this subject (also they have tons of other information on their web site). This is for endurance athletes (cycling especially) but lots of it apply to badminton or any other exercise too.

Proper Caloric Intake During Endurance Exercise
    By Steve Born
    Back in the late 80's and early 90's, in my first two Race Across America (RAAM) appearances, there wasn't much in the way of information - no, let me correct that'there wasn't ANY reliable information regarding how to fuel the body. I can remember being told something to the effect, With the amount of calories you'll be burning, you should eat as much as you can to avoid bonking or running out of fuel. And that's what I did. My support crew, adhering to my stubborn and seemingly unwavering advice, kept making me eat and eat and eat even when I was already full. My fueling strategy was to eat as much as possible, staying just under the puke zone. I felt more like a pig headed to market than a cyclist headed to the finish line. I rolled along bloated, my swollen gut barely clearing the top tube. What a way to see the country!
    Looking back, I wonder how I ever finished those two races. Oh, if I could do those RAAMs again, knowing what I know now. Only a few of the athletes who read this will ever attempt a RAAM (though Hammer sponsored cyclists do well in it every year, as they do know now what I didn't know then), but regardless of the length of your training and races, you'll find important fueling information. In this article you'll learn the right way to deal with the three critical elements of endurance fueling: what kind of fuel to consume, how much, and when. The answers may surprise you, but I'll tell you, once I adopted and applied these fueling guidelines, my performances improved each and every year. You put great effort into your training and much expense acquiring the best equipment, so make sure your fueling strategy is equally top of the line. Your body will thank you, and your performance will be the proof.
    Endurance and ultra-endurance athletes require all three forms of fuel the human body uses for energy: carbohydrate, protein, and fat. A major factor for optimal performance is using the right fuel, at the right time, in the right amount. Like every aspect of success in endurance events, proper nutrition requires planning, practice, and training to reap the benefits on race day. This article will give you the background information you need about fueling, and concludes with some recommendations about what and how much to use.
    As all athletes know, carbs are king when it comes to fueling the body for any endurance exercise. That does not mean, however, that any carbohydrate at any time will keep you going. Carbohydrates can either help or hinder performance, depending on what kind you use, how much you use, and when you use them. For example, far too many misinformed athletes continue to use energy products loaded with simple sugars, or they use complex carbs, a superior choice, but at the wrong time and in the wrong amounts. These practices will actually impair, not help, your performance.
    Simple sugars, maltodextrin, and osmolality

Most dietary sugars are simple molecules known as monosaccharides and disaccharides. The shorter the chain length of a carbohydrate source, the higher it will raise a chemical measure known as osmolality when dissolved. In solution, simple sugars can only attain about 6-8% concentration or they will sit undigested in your stomach, as the osmolality will be incompatible with the digestive juices. Products containing simple sugars, typically sucrose, fructose, and/or glucose (dextrose), must be extremely dilute to match body fluid osmolality (280 - 303 mOsm). This weak of a concentration presents a problem to athletes because it cannot provide sufficient calories (perhaps only 100 cal/hour) to working muscles. To obtain enough calories from a weak 6-8% solution, an athlete would have to consume two or more bottles of fuel per hour, which means excess fluids, increasing the risk of fluid intoxication. Using simple sugar-based energy drinks is not a wise strategy.
    Well then, you might say, I'll just mix a stronger concentration. But this approach also fails. Making a double or triple strength mixture from a simple sugar-based carbohydrate fuel won't work because the concentration of that mixture will exceed 6-8%, far too concentrated to match body fluid osmolality. It will remain in the stomach until sufficiently diluted, which may cause substantial stomach distress. Drinking more water to dilute your over-concentrated concoction puts you back in the original condition of increased risk of overhydration and all the problems that causes, so that's not a good option. But if you don't drink more, your body will draw fluids and electrolytes from other areas that critically need these fluids and electrolytes (like blood and muscle) and divert them to the digestive system to lower the osmolality of your over-concentrated simple sugar drink. This also will result in a variety of stomach distresses, not to mention increased cramping potential and other performance-trashing issues.
    The same problem occurs when an athlete combines a simple sugar fuel with a complex carbohydrate fuel. Consumed together, simple sugars and complex carbohydrates increase the solution concentration beyond the efficient digestion level for either component. This will compromise energy production and promote the likelihood of a variety of stomach issues. In the words of Dr. Bill Misner, Adding simple sugar fractions [any of the ose carbohydrates] to complex carbohydrate fractions [maltodextrins] may double the osmolar pressure of the solution to hypertonic values. When a 6-8% simple sugar solution is added to a 15-20% complex carbohydrate solution, the osmolality of the combined solutions is simply not absorbable in the human gut."
    The simple fact is that using simple sugar-based products - either by themselves or in tandem with complex carbohydrate products - is simply futile! Endurance athletes who try to fulfill calorie/energy requirements with sugar-based drinks, gels, and powder mixes usually end up with a variety of complaints and poor performances.
    Molecules that contain many sugar units chained together are called polysaccharides, known familiarly as complex carbs and starches. One of these, maltodextrin, can make up to a 20% solution concentration and still match digestive system osmolality. This allows very efficient passage from the digestive tract to the liver, which converts some of the maltodextrin to glycogen for storage and some directly to glucose for immediate use by the muscles. With polysaccharides you get much more energy from stomach to liver, thus providing maximal amounts of energy to be produced, and in a form your body can efficiently process.
    Based on caloric delivery alone, complex carbohydrates such as maltodextrin are far superior to simple carbohydrates (simple sugars). But that's not all. Simple sugars, even in small amounts, can incite a condition known as insulin spike. This sudden recruitment of insulin causes a subsequent dramatic drop in blood sugar, which can take blood sugar levels even below the fasting level! This flash and crash type of energy typically results in the dreaded bonk, something every athlete wants to avoid. However, complex carbs, which enter the bloodstream at a 15-20% solution, do not promote this wild fluctuation in blood sugar levels. Even though a maltodextrin might have a high GI (see below) and rapidly elevate blood sugar levels (a desirable effect), during exercise your body processes them with far less insulin fluctuation, most likely due to the steady release and breakdown of glucose from its polymeric source, and other hormonal factors. You never get the below-baseline drop in blood glucose that simple sugars cause.
    Some athletic nutritionists disregard osmolality, but we do not believe its importance can be overstated. As Bill Misner, Ph.D., states, "when osmolality goes above 303 or below 280 mOsm, the gut must pull minerals and fluids& to mediate a narrow 280-303 mOsm range for immediate calorie absorption." Both simple sugars and complex carbohydrate maltodextrins are absorbed at equal rates if the solution concentration matches body fluid osmolality (280-303 mOsm). Simple sugars meet this criterion only when they are mixed in calorically weak 6-8% concentrations; digestion slows down or ceases at higher concentrations. When athletes make a double or triple strength simple sugar-based drink, trying to increase caloric input, they usually develop problems such as gastric distress, bloating, flatulence, vomiting, and muscle cramps.
    On the other hand, the maltodextrins (complex carbohydrates) used in Hammer Nutrition fuels match body fluid osmolality even when mixed in concentrations as high as 15-20%. This presents a distinct advantage because your body is able to digest, and thus convert to energy, a greater volume of calories from complex carbohydrates than it can from simple sugars.
    Simple sugars = Ineffective fuel

The bottom line is that simple sugars are a very inefficient fuel source. Using them to fuel your body is like trying to heat your house by burning newspapers in your stove. You get a fast heat, but it burns out quickly, and you have to continually feed the fire. Not good! Complex carbohydrates, on the other hand, are similar to putting a nice big log on the fire in that they burn longer and more evenly, with the declination in heat (energy levels) being much more gradual. The maltodextrins in Hammer Nutrition fuels allow you to obtain the maximum amount of calories you need. They provide a more consistent and longer lasting energy supply, without putting you at risk for stomach distress.
    Some manufacturers formulate their sports drinks with complex carbs, but almost all of them lade their products with cheap, inefficient simple sugars. Read the label before you buy. If there's anything that ends in ose in the ingredient list, put it back on the shelf. We include only complex carbohydrates in Hammer Nutrition fuels (Hammer Gel, HEED, Sustained Energy, Perpetuem, and Recoverite). They contain no added simple sugars.
    Glycemic Index

People often ask about the Glycemic Index (GI) of various carbohydrates and how those figures relate to fueling for endurance exercise. Here's the scoop: GI rates the speed at which the body breaks down a carbohydrate into glucose. The lower the GI, the slower the process, and therefore the more stable the energy release. For food eaten at times other than exercise and recovery, GI is an important dietary factor, and we recommend eating foods with a low-to-middle GI.
    However, during and immediately following exercise, a high-GI carbohydrate - one that elevates blood sugar levels rapidly - is desirable, as long as you keep caloric intake within approximately 280 cal/hour, as hormones associated with sympathetic nervous system activity will inhibit GI impact on insulin release. Negative diet/health-specific effects associated with consumption of high GI carbohydrates are not a concern during and immediately after exercise; high GI carbs actually perform better than low GI carbs at these times.
    Long-chain, high-GI maltodextrins have a GI value of about 130, compared to glucose (100) or sucrose (62). This means that maltodextrins raise blood insulin more effectively than simple sugars, but without the rapid and precipitous drop that is a common (and deleterious) effect of simple sugars. Also, as mentioned earlier, maltodextrins allow you to absorb a greater volume of calories than you can from simple sugars.
    Some suggest that since maltodextrin is many chains of glucose hooked together, it takes the body longer to break those chains down for conversion to glucose (which all carb sources eventually become in the body). However, it needs to be noted that the bonds that compose maltodextrin are very weak so they are readily broken down. Additionally, the amylose-amylopectin content of maltodextrin is very similar in chemistry to human stored glycogen, which is the first fuel the body recruits and uses when exercise begins. Therefore, if the body's first-used fuel is complex in nature, it can safely be assumed that the body can break it, and endogenously supplied complex carbohydrates, down with remarkable ease.
    How much to consume

Now that you know what kind of carbohydrate to use, the next question is, How much? With some allowances provided for very large athletes, the human body can only return (from the liver to muscle tissue) about 4.0 - 4.6 carbohydrate calories per minute, or about 240-280 cal/hr. When most athletes consume more than 280 cal/hr from carbohydrates during an event, the excess remains undigested in the stomach, or passes unused into the bowel, where, in the unmincing words of Dr. Bill Misner, they accumulate in gastric or intestinal channels in 100-degree temperatures and putrefy in time.
    You may be burning up to 800 cal/hr, but your body cannot replace that amount during exercise. Trying to replenish calories at the same rate as depletion only causes problems. Instead of having more energy available, you'll have a bloated stomach, and perhaps even nausea and vomiting. You've seen it happen, but it's not a necessary aspect of intense competition; more likely it's the result of improper caloric intake.
    Complex carbohydrates only or a combination of carbohydrate sources: Which is better for the endurance athlete?

Findings from research conducted by the Dutch sport scientist Asker Jeukendrup has caused quite a stir. In fact, a few companies now produce sports drinks that contain the carbohydrate formulations used in the studies. In general, Jeukendrup found that a blend of carbohydrates increased oxidation rates, indicating higher energy production. In one study, cyclists who ingested a 2:1 mixture of maltodextrin to fructose oxidized carbohydrate up to 1.5 grams/minute. Another study used a mixture of glucose, fructose, and sucrose and had rates that peaked at 1.7 g/min. Both those results are pretty eye opening, considering that complex carbohydrates typically oxidize at a rate of about 1.0 g/min.
    However, there's more to the results than what first meets the eye. Most of Jeukendrup's subjects cycled at low intensity, only 50-55% maximum power output, which I think we'd all agree is very much a recovery pace, if that.
    To be blunt, at a leisurely 50% VO2 Max pace, athletes can digest cheeseburgers and pizza with no gastric issues. However, if the heart rate and core temperature are raised to only 70% VO2 Max, the body must divert core accumulated heat from central to peripheral. This reduces the blood volume available to absorb ingested carbohydrates or whatever the athlete has consumed. After two decades of experience, we have found that in the overwhelming majority of the athletes we've worked with - athletes engaged in typical 75-85% efforts and/or in multi-hour endurance events - the combination of simple sugars and long chain carbohydrates, and in amounts higher than approximately 1.0 - 1.1 grams per minute (roughly 4.0 - 4.6 calories per minute), have not yielded positive results. They did, however, increase performance-inhibiting, stomach-related maladies.
    Lowell Greib, MSc ND, explains that gastric emptying is a key limiting step in carbohydrate metabolism: If your stomach can't empty the product (no matter what it is) you are going to get nothing from it except a huge gut ache and possibly lots of vomiting! Unless there is new research that I am unaware of, gastric emptying is directly proportional to the osmolality of the solution in the stomach. Long chain carbohydrate (maltodextrin) contributes less to increasing the osmolality than do disaccharides (sucrose, lactose, maltose, etc.).
    Augmenting Greib's statements, Dr. Bill Misner writes, Absorption rate and how fast the liver can 'kick it out' are limiting factors. No matter what you eat, how much or how little, the body provides glucose to the bloodstream at a rate of about 1 gram/minute. Putting more calories in than can generate energy taxes gastric venues, electrolyte stores, and fluid levels.
    Bottom line is not whether or not Jeukendrup's published studies are disputable, but rather if these studies apply to faster paced, longer duration bouts of exercise. We do not believe this to be the case, which is why we do not recommend the use of multiple carbohydrate sources during exercise. Stick with complex carbohydrate fuels, and we guarantee you'll see better results.
    Fatty acids for fuel

If we can't replace all of the calories we expend, then how do we keep going hour after hour? The answer is that we have an enormous supply of calories in body fat. The typical athlete can count on a reserve of up to 100,000 calories in the form of stored fatty acids - that's enough, if you could process it all, to fuel a run from Portland, OR to Los Angeles, CA -a distance of almost 1000 miles! These fatty acids are the fuel of choice when exercise goes beyond about two hours, providing approx 60-65% of your caloric expenditure. In other words, your body has a vast reservoir of calories available from body fat stores, and it will use those liberally to satisfy energy requirements during lengthy workouts and races.
    However, for this process to continue without compromise or interruption, you must not consume excess calories. If you try to match energy losses with caloric replacement from your fuel, you will not only cause a variety of stomach-related ailments, you will also inhibit the efficient utilization of fats for fuel. The bottom line is that caloric donation from consumed fuels must cooperate with your internal fat-to-fuel conversion system. Do not attempt to completely replace caloric expenditure. Your best strategy is to replenish calories in amounts that support efficient energy production and do not interfere with the use of fatty acids for fuel. For what that means in real life training and racing, see the chart at the end of this article.
    Protein for fuel

When exercise goes beyond 90-120 minutes, you need to incorporate some protein into the fuel mix. After about 90 minutes, and continuing until you stop your activity, about 5-15% of your caloric utilization comes from protein. This process, called gluconeogenesis, is unavoidable, and if you don't supply the needed protein in your fuel, your body will literally scavenge it from your own muscle tissue. This is called catabolism (muscle breakdown), known informally, but quite accurately, as protein cannibalization. It can cause premature muscle fatigue (due to excess ammonia production from the protein breakdown process) as well as muscle depletion and post-exercise soreness. Protein cannibalization also compromises your immune system, leading to increased risk for colds, flu, and other diseases.
    For exercise and competition that extends about two hours or more, your primary fuel should incorporate protein in a ratio of about 8:1 (by weight) carbs to protein. Both Sustained Energy and Perpetuem meet this requirement; they are your best choices for fueling any endurance activity.
    The benefits of soy protein during endurance exercise

As noted above, it's good to have a little protein along with your complex carbs to avoid the negative effects of muscle catabolism, but you must have the right kind of protein. The preferred protein for use during prolonged exercise is soy, primarily because its metabolization does not readily produce ammonia. Whey protein, with its high glutamine content, makes an excellent post-workout protein, but is not a good choice before or during exercise. You're already producing ammonia during exercise, so consuming glutamine-enhanced whey protein will only exacerbate that problem.
    There is some confusion regarding the glutamine and ammonia build-up. Yes, glutamine does eventually scavenge ammonia. The key word, however, is eventually. When glutamine metabolizes, it increases ammonia initially, then scavenges more than originally induced, but it takes approximately three hours or so to accomplish this. You're already producing ammonia during endurance exercise, and since ammonia is a primary culprit in premature fatigue, it seems logical that you'd not want to increase ammonia levels even more. However, that's exactly what you'll do when you consume glutamine supplements or glutamine-enhanced whey protein during exercise. That's one reason why soy protein is preferable for use during prolonged exercise.
    Soy protein has a couple of other great features, too. First, it is an easily digestible protein. Second, it has an excellent amino acid profile, with a substantial proportion of branched chain amino acids, or BCAAs, which your body readily converts for energy. During exercise, nitrogen is removed from BCAAs and used in the production of another amino acid, alanine, high amounts of which also occur naturally in soy protein. The liver converts alanine into glucose, which the bloodstream transports to the muscles for energy.
    BCAAs and glutamic acid, another amino acid found in significant quantities in soy protein, also aid in the replenishing of glutamine within the body without the risk of ammonia production caused by orally ingested glutamine.
    Soy's amino acid profile has high amounts of both alanine and histidine, which are the amino acid components of the dipeptide known as carnosine, a nutrient known for its antioxidant and acid buffering benefits. Soy protein also has a high level of aspartic acid, which plays an important role in energy production via the Krebs cycle. Additionally, soy protein has high levels of phenylalanine, which may aid in maintaining alertness during extreme ultra distance races.
    Lastly, soy produces more uric acid than whey protein. This might not sound good, but uric acid is actually an antioxidant that helps neutralize the excessive free radicals produced during exercise. High uric acid levels, from soy's naturally occurring isoflavones, are another strong reason for preferring soy protein during endurance exercise.
    Suggested amounts to consider

If you've read this far, you might be thinking, Enough with the biochemistry lessons! Just tell me how much to take! Now we will sum up all of the info into hard numbers. Please remember, however, the most important point about these figures is to customize them to your own personal needs. In your training log, make sure you include fueling data, too. We give you pretty close numbers to start with, and you might end up with them, too, but we don't offer them as a one-size-fits-all remedy. Your needs will vary with a number of factors besides body weight, such as fitness level, exercise intensity, weather, altitude, type of sport, and innate physiological differences.
    When considering your basic caloric needs, think complex carbohydrates such as a maltodextrin-based product, and supplemental protein for exercise over 90-120 minutes. To give you a practical application of these numbers, we've translated the data into servings of Hammer Gel, and scoops of HEED, Sustained Energy, and Perpetuem. No matter what your sport or length of exercise, these fuels give your body exactly what it needs to operate at maximum efficiency.
    Suggested Amounts by Body Weight*

Hammer Gel
    Up to 120 lbs (approx 54.5 kg) - up to 2 servings/hr
    120-155 lbs (approx 54.5-70 kg) - up to 2.5 servings/hr
    155-190 lbs (approx 70-86 kg) - up to 3 servings/hr
    190+ lbs (86+ kg) - up to 3.5 servings/hr
    NOTES:
    Hammer flask holds 5-6 servings
    Espresso Hammer Gel contains 50 mg caffeine per serving
    Tropical Hammer Gel contains 25 mg caffeine per serving

HEED
    Up to 120 lbs (approx 54.5 kg) - up to 1.5 scoops/hr
    120-155 lbs (approx 54.5-70 kg) - up to 2.5 scoops/hr
    155-190 lbs (approx 70-86 kg) - up to 2.75 scoops/hr
    190+ lbs (86+ kg) - up to 3 scoops/hr
    NOTE: Each scoop of HEED contains the equivalent amount of electrolytes as approximately 2/3 of one Endurolytes capsule. For many athletes, under normal conditions, one or two scoops of HEED will completely fulfill electrolyte requirements. When heat stress increases significantly, you will need to consume additional Endurolytes.

Sustained Energy
    Up to 120 lbs (approx 54.5 kg) - up to 1.5 scoops/hr
    120-155 lbs (approx 54.5-70 kg) - up to 2 scoops/hr
    155-190 lbs (approx 70-86 kg) - up to 2.5 scoops/hr
    190+ lbs (86+ kg) - up to 3 scoops/hr

Perpetuem
    Up to 120 lbs (approx 54.5 kg) - up to 1 scoop/hr
    120-155 lbs (approx 54.5-70 kg) - up to 1.5 scoops/hr
    155-190 lbs (approx 70-86 kg) - up to 2 scoops/hr
    190+ lbs (86+ kg) - up to 2.5 scoops/hr

*These are estimated doses. Each athlete should determine in training, under a variety of conditions, their personal optimum.
    Steve Born is a fueling expert for Hammer Nutrition with well over a decade of involvement in the health food industry. He has worked with hundreds of athletes - ranging from the recreational athlete to world-class professional athlete - helping them to optimize their supplement/fueling program. Steve is a three-time RAAM finisher, the 1994 Furnace Creek 508 Champion, 1999 runner-up, the only cyclist in history to complete a Double Furnace Creek 508, and is the holder of two Ultra Marathon Cycling records. In February 2004 Steve was inducted into the Ultra Marathon Cycling Hall of Fame.
    © 2009, Endurance Marketing Group. This information is copyright protected. Please feel free to distribute this information as long as this copyright notice and EMG's phone number and/or URL are included. Content must remain unchanged and original authorship acknowledged.

[​IMG] Items: 0
    Total: $0.00 Spend just $250.00 more for
    FREE SHIPPING Learn More

[​IMG]
    About Steve Born - Hammer Nutrition Fueling Expert
    Fueling Expert
    Steve's decade-plus of involvement in the sports nutrition industry, as well as nearly 15 years of independent research in nutritional fueling and supplementation, has given him unmatched familiarity with the myriad product choices available to athletes. ​
    Learn more about Steve

[​IMG] [​IMG]

12. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

For me..

..i usually go for one of those low/zero calories, no sugar sports drinks. If not, i'll drink a can of one of those energy drinks and balance it out by gulping lots of water..Once in a while i'll drink a can of Arizona Green Tea with Ginseng & Honey..

13. mindfields

You may disagree with the above reply but the articles don't. It supports complex sugars for Endurance. High Intensity demands something different.

Even the article that you quote says. . .

So my guestimate of roughly 1 bottle (266 KCal) wasn't far off.

I did say that if your not in the Hi intensive zone then you don't need an energy drink. You should have carb loaded to give you the constant release of energy by digestion.

It depends on the way you play badminton. Fast explosive movements can push you into usage of energy far faster than low-med GI foods can replenish. That's where Hi GI sugars become useful.

My examples show 3 scenarios.

1. Hi Intensity where Low-med GI foods can't deliver enough energy.
    2. Hi Intensity with balanced low/med + Hi GI food delivery.
    3. Hi Intensity with to much Hi GI food delivery.

It's tricky to get the balance right without hitting scenario's 1 or 3. But the Sports drinks are available & it's up to the individual to use them correctly.

#13 mindfields, Aug 21, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I'd ssay that's ok. Here's another question for your ex HK player. Presuming he relates drinking sports drinks to development of diabetes, from that logic, we must be able to find quite a number of exsportsmen who have developed diabetes. I have not heard of this association - if it were to exist, it must be very uncommon given the number of atheletes in the world.

Tell you what, if I charge you for a consultation, will that make you less paranoic?:p

15. valmetf4

valmetf4 Regular Member

forrest worker
    sports drinks and diabeties

as recently being diagnoised with type 2 diabeties i took up badminton again after a 12 year layoff .
    I have found a few sugar free sports drinks availabe , but mostly myself i use water.
    One thing of note , on doing a BSC pre playing of e.g 5.3 after a night playing it would climb to arround 7.5 ( 30 min after last game ) before dropping to about 5.3 later(2 hrs)