Drop Shots

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by TourSpEdition, Oct 20, 2002.

1. TourSpEdition

TourSpEdition Regular Member

Student
    Anyone here can make perfect drop shots ??? :D

that means the feather hitting the white line of the net
    and drop on the opponents front box :D

2. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Occasionally

When I'm have really really good feeling, most (99.5%) of my dropshots skin the net... I've done it on a few (2-3) occasions... even my friend that has really really good drop shot was amazed

3. TourSpEdition

TourSpEdition Regular Member

Student
  4. Stalker

Stalker Regular Member

I can usually do that every game. Drops are my expertise. I have to improve on my smashes though... :( :p

5. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    lol... yah... it's hard to execute those kinda drops when u also have to keep up the speed of the smash (smash and drops are exact opposites of each other)... that was how i was playing during a lil time of the summer...

Besides... if you can only drop and dont have a relatively fast smash, there's no way to keep the opponents from stepping up and killing one of the not so well executed drops! I speak from personal experience :D :p

6. Californian

Californian Regular Member

We've all hit those "perfect" drops at one time or another, and I've seen players who have consistantly tight drops that occassionally skim the net tape, but for someone to deliberately and consistantly skim the net in a hotly-contested game where they are hitting from various positions on the court...? That seems a little too much. You would have to have incredible body control and court sense. It's like trying to hit the sideline with a smash, or land a clear right on the baseline. It's great if you do it, but your margin for error in one direction is way too small. You just have to be off slightly.

You want it to be close, and if it skims the net, that's just a bonus.

Anyway, the "perfect" drop is one that hits the top of the tape, falls over the net, and crawls down the netting.

7. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    well it's possible to have relly good feeling for the game... about 10-15 minutes since all those drops skim the tape which usually result in bad lifts

However, I think your perfect drop is too tooo toooo hard to achieve :D
    it's hard enuff to just skim the net tape :p

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I prefer "drop shot" way over smash...

But there's no way I can do "perfect" ones all the time. Surely, there are some good ones in every match, but I still need more practice to get more % of it.

9. benfok

benfok Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    I like my "save the day" backhand drop shots. Most of the time it is about an inch above the net. Sometimes it tumbles across the net and even if my opponent is stand right in front of it there is nothing he or she can do because it was touching the net on the way down. It is as close and you can get it.

IMHO, I think the order of importance in terms of the type of shot is:

service
    smash
    return
    drop

Use Drop shot for surprise and to slow the game down a little bit. Make your opponents run for it and get them out of their place. It should not be used too often.

Treat it as your last resort.

Ben

10. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    I've been playing as a reckless smash-happy little kid for the longest time and just this year have I begun to calm down and learn the finer aspect of the game. I think drop shots are even more important than smashes since you conserve more energy and you unbalance the opponent by shifting them out of position. Still trying to learn how to drop properly, and now I can get the shuttles barely over the net most of the time if I have enough time to intercept the shot.

11. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    This is how I look at it... most important shots down

Serve
    Return
    drives (not so much in singles... but doubles)
    net shot
    drop
    smash (however, gotta have a fast enough smash)

I think so cuz i tend to not put too much power into my shots anymore, so drop is a good choice. with a good drop shot in doubles, you tend to "suck" the opponents up, then... outta nowhere, do a powerful smash that's too fast for their reflexes cuz they are standing too far upfront :D

12. Xero

Xero Regular Member

Umm... I do agree with you that the serve is the most important shot.. because if you can't serve well you can't get any points. But I don't think the smash is more important then the return.. to be able to use the smash or an attacking shot you need to have a good return. Also that the drop is not a last resort.. it can also be the winning shot.. or catching the opponent off guard to set up for a finishing smash..

This is just my opinion..

13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Drop is the last??? But, "drop" is my major weapon in my double games...

Maybe that explained why I suck in single??? :confused:

14. Californian

Californian Regular Member

I'll be watching men's doubles games and see back player on the offensive side do smash after smash and the defensive side lift each one back. The smashes are not quite good enough to win the rally, but good enough to keep the defenders from being able to gain control. The back player seems so concerned with keeping the pressure on that he's afraid of doing anything different. I sit there and wonder, "Why not throw in a good quick drop right between the defenders at least once in a while?"

In an average match, I will use a smash/drop ratio of 2:1. If the other team is not so good at returning smashes, I will use more of them, but some players are so much better with reflexes than movement that I may use 1:1, depending on how my partner handles the net. I also will try to vary the speeds, and maybe even throw in an occasional attacking clear to a corner for surprise.

15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I play only doubles as I don't have the stamina, strength or speed to play singles.

As such, the backhand serve is my most basic weapon, 90% of the time keeping it low at the "T" and occasionally to the forecourt side-lines, anticipating a return to the forehand of my partner, depending on whether he is left- or right-handed. A good low serve forces the receiver to lift the shuttle and allows my partner to attack. However, against an experienced side, this is not always the outcome as the receiver can push the return to the side midcourt just between me and my partner or he may counteract with a beautiful, net clinging return shot. I sometimes change by executing a 'shooting' high serve to the centre of the court, preferably to the receiver's backhand and wait to kill a weak return. Unfortunately, I have not perfected the accuracy and half the time the serve goes to the wrong court!

The smash, whether it is a strong or weak one, is my preferred second shot as it puts the opponents on the defensive, followed by the drop and net shots for the same reason. The drop shot, unlike LazyBuddy's, is not my best weapon as it tends to float too high at the net and allows the receiver to kill it instantly! Actually, I used this shot as a last resort. I think it is too dangerous to employ this shot too often as the receiver will be smart enough after some rallies to anticipate and kill the shot. I try to smash away from the receiver and most times prefer the side-lines and the court centre. But a fast cross court return from my opponent can jeopardize our position if I or my partner is slow to anticipate and intercept the return.

Whenever the opportunity arises, I will execute the fast drive, usually to the court centre and also when I am out of position, which is bad as most times I lost points in the latter. I also used fast attacking lobs sparingly when my opponents are seen to be in disarray and out of position, such as when both opponents are close to the net or are slow in retreating to the back court. This often works to our advantage if I don't kill myself by hitting out.

It is easier said than done as the dynamics are never constant and one has to make instantaneous decisions on the court. And it also depends on the quality of the opposition. A well-matched game really gives immense excitement and satisfaction!

16. benfok

benfok Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    I think the best defense is a good offense. That's why I think smash is second to service shot. If you can't smash ( accurately) then your chance of winning will probably drop by 25%.

I listed return as the third most important shot. That includes any shot that is not smash, drop or net play.

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying drop shot are not important at all. I am just saying if I have the choice between smashing the bird VS dropping it, knowing either way I would have big chance to win, I would, without a doubt smash.

I remember once I cleared my opponent's shuttle and he clear it back to my overhead corner. I decided to see what he would do so I clear again back to in backhand corner and guess what, he clear it back to my overhead corner again. I thought, that's it, no more fooling around. So I drop the shuttle to the my opponent far net corner and that ended the rally.

In that case I knew I couldn't smash way in the back so drop shot was a good thing to do.

Ben

17. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I don't think there are any real importance of shots besides the serve because without the serve, theres no game. Well there is but a real cr@p 1.

I mean in doubles, smashing is i would say, just as important as drops. Because the common goal is the win the game, but how u do it is a different question. A smash can be used to finish off a rally as well as to set up another. A classic example of this is the Candra/Sigit combination. There was a match i remember watching where Sigit was at the backline, jumped and did a fantastic smash, but rather to finish the rally it was straight down the middle to retrieve a weak return from the awaiting Chan/Chew. The return was easily finished off my Candra at the front.

I would just like to say that before, i used to like the chop the shuttle quite hard to make it dip fast. But i realised that that doesn't always work, so if i slowed my swing to less than half of the initial chop speed, i can get a drop shot that lands around the same area (half way between the service line and the net) but just at a different speed.

Haven't been playing in a long time, so i doubt i can still do that but my point basically is that as long as u have the basic stroke, its only practise that can perfect your shot.

18. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    As to which shot is more important than another, there really is no clear definitive way to tell except for the serve has to be the most important and you have to be able to drive to survive. As for drops and smashes, they are game winning shots and just depends on preference and ability, they are interchangeable and deadly when combined together and used accordingly.

19. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    i agree with jwu, all the shots are as important as each other - it is a bit easier to win a rally witha powerful smash or a tight drop but it is still possible to win a point my a well timed/positioned clear or drive. really the most important thing is probably you're serve - if it's bad you will will lose control of the point and usuallylose th point immediately, if it's good you are immediatelly onthe offensive and if it's reallt good(flick) you may even win the point. Serving well and mixing it up is the key to a great game

Neil

20. odjn

odjn Regular Member

Student
    something a lot harer to do...

Something harder than a drop shot that skims the net and tumbles down, is a smash that bounces on0 the net and then tumbles down.

Someone who is able to do this consecutivly...... truely is a master!

#20 odjn, Jan 17, 2004
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2004