Park Joo Bong

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Bbn, Oct 20, 2002.

1. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Well it's official, 3 countries inviting Park are

Canada, Denmark and Singapore !

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    if Park goes to Denmark, the Danish team will be very dangerous indeed.

but hey, we have our spy here. JR, what do you think?

i am somehow not too surprised that China isn't in the list. the Chinese may be arrogant enough that they don't want to hire anybody from another nation. however, i do wonder how Tang is doing with the doubles. they didn't do well at all in the Asian games. perhaps we need to give them more time.

i wonder what Malaysia is thinking for letting both Park and Indra go. do they really think that letting these two coaches go would somehow benefit the team? or perhaps there are other reason. perhaps they are too expensive?

3. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Well the official line is 'not value for money" as results were scant as far as Park is

concerned.

As for the other 'challenge the high and mighty in high places at your peril".

4. Tezta.com

Tezta.com Regular Member

I stay at home as much as possible
    Kwun,

Indra left also? who is taking over as head coach?

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    latest news is that some local (ie. Malaysian) ex player. no one knows yet...

6. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Most likely to be Misbun Sidek.

7. viver

viver Regular Member

Canada one of the countries inviting Park? :rolleyes: I don't think Canada is able to pay the salary he was earning in Malaysia, unless he is willing to reduce his salary and enjoy the breathtaking beauty of the Alberta Rockies.

8. viver

viver Regular Member

It takes time to produce good badminton players. It will take some time to improve current Chinese doubles players and nurture new ones. Park opined that Chinese players have everything but fails at crucial moments. My understanding in Park's statement is that Chinese doubles players are not strong mentally/psychologically. This aspect is not easy to deal with, there are players that never overcome this barrier. Not even with the best sports psychologists.

9. Xero

Xero Regular Member

As a canadian player myself.. I certainly hope Canada hires Park.. Probably he will enjoy the nature here... away from all the pollution... I hope I will be able to learn somethings from him..

This is not really likely.. because like Vicus (sorry if I wrote your name wrong) said I don't think we can pay as much as the Asain Countries to hire Park.

10. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    How much difference do you think in terms of pay among the countries?
    Not even if you account for exchange rate?

And let say, $$ is the same, where would he go? Denmark has already
    the strongest team among the 3. So perhaps they may have a chance
    to get ahead in Doubles with Park. However, hey, one can argue that,
    he may choose Canada for the challenge :) If he can make Canada to
    be like Denish (say, make it to top 10), would this consider a higher
    achievement as a national coach?

11. viver

viver Regular Member

It was reported that M Frost received US 1M/year while coaching Malaysia. Park if not mistaken was reportedly receiving an equivalent of 500K pounds/year.

But most of all is not solely the coach that makes the champions. The system is as important as the coach.

12. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    By comparison, Canada has no system *LOL*

And 1M/year?! *LOL* OMG That would truly be the day that Canada shells out that kind of money for anyone in badminton. On that note... I wonder how much Ardy get's paid because at the Canadian Open he sure was one cheerful fella ;).

13. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

I remember 50% of Frost's salary comes from Msia.

The rest is paid by Carlsberg and 1/2 other Danish Multinationals in Msia as

promotional expenses.

Probably applies to Park too.

14. klaphat

klaphat Regular Member

No chance..

Well, if Park is expecting ½ mio. US $ there is no chance whatsoever in my view that he will come to Denmark..

unless some sponsor wants to pay the price..

because the Danish Badminton Federation does not have that kind of money..

and since the Danish market is very small it also seems quite unlikely that any sponsor should be willing to come up with that kind of money..

but.. it sure would be interesting to see, what PARK could do with the Danish men's doubles.. especially considering the fact that he could also be working together with his former "rival" Thomas Lund..

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    well, ok, if Park and Frost was paid 1/2 - 1 mil US per year, i can see why Malaysia is letting them go.

despite their high pay, they were not completely successful in bring the MAS men's team from the trough. ok, there were some results, but for the biggies that counts, ie. the TC and WC, the malaysian players produced no champions.

in other words, there were results, but there were no miracles. the improvement wasn't worth the high price they paid.

we will see who this mystery new coach will be, and see if he can transform the MAS team.

16. viver

viver Regular Member

I would probably agree with you that Canada had no system. See what the powerhouses do to gather the potential talent pool. I believe you mentioned that you know Badrad personally. Just ask him about the "system" and his daugther!

It would be also interesting to have an idea about Ardy's salary as the Canadian national coach :rolleyes:

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I would think Park's training regime would be too severe for some of the Canadian team judging by his comments on arrival to M'sia.

Very difficult to transform a team. I think Frost and Park might have been distracted by being responsible for both singles & doubles for parts of their tenure. The combined number of players would be quite large for any coach.

Is two years of contract sufficient time to transform players? Maybe when they are young but midway through their careers may be expecting too much.

18. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    Actually, my opinion is formed from from hearing his stories about the "system", his daughter, as well as observing the training/progression of other competitive players I've met before. It's too bad that Canada has so little funding/support for amateur sports, there's a lot of talent here in every sport. But then again, I'd rather have the entire government system improved first but that's a whole different story heheh...

19. willie

willie Regular Member

draftsperson
    Han Jian was one the coaches when Malaysian boys claimed the TC in 92. I believe there were other Chinese coaches in the team too. I think Han Jian should get the "DATUK" title.