good entry level camera

Discussion in 'Badminton Photography' started by illusionistpro, Aug 21, 2009.

1. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

Im looking for some info on what to look for on entry level dslr's. Right now I'm lucky to have the opportunity to borrow an old Nikon D2H and D100. Im enjoying the nikon grip and dual wheel system. I've tried some canon rebels, and a 1d mark III, they are good, but I think I like the nikon 'feel' more.

From what I can tell most nikon D## series dont offer af built into the body which increases the cost of each lens you have to get. The canon rebel line all have af built in, and their lenses seem just a little under the cost of the nikons. What do you use? why? what do you recommend for a complete beginner? I want something I can have fun with, probably not so much badminton/fast action, but something I could bring to the gym too.

Im leaning towards borrowing/renting/buying for cheap the d100 and spend more of my budget on lenses. Then later when I save up again, buying a better body.

Please leave questions, comments, concerns. :)

2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

All around entry level DSLRs??..

..some threads which could answer your queries:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70780
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53337
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41195

Of course:
    - What's your budget?

- Not sure abt borrowing/renting camera bodies. But yes, if you could find a used camera body. craiglist.com is your friend (check out San Francisco area)..;)

- Good idea on spending your $$$ on lenses.

- If i were you, i'd geared towards lenses which are fast lenses (which have large aperture), even if you just plan to take general pics. And even if they're zoom lenses. That way, you'll kill 2 birds with 1 stone; you can take 'em for general indoor/low light picture taking as well as outdoor/plenty of light picture taking.

- Should be quite a few of mid-range level DSLRs which have AF, even for Nikon.
    D100 should be enough. I remember last time kwun was clicking the Nikon shutters, for baddy pics, it was with his D200.

- For one, kwun used to be a Nikon loyalist. But now, unfortunately, he has switched allegiance and jumped ship to Canon...;)

#2 ctjcad, Aug 21, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

#3 ctjcad, Aug 21, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    This is a big factor. I started off small too but it just couldn't keep up with badminton. ctjcad has, what I consider, a good value camera for starting off.

Nikon D2H should be good if you are on websize photos. Noise will be a noticable at ISO1600 and forget about ISO3200. The brightness of your gym lights are a big factor - from Kwun's posts, I think the lights in US are really bad! That pushes up your equipment costs.

IF it is Nikon, why not D300s?