How to Search BC/BF

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Athelete1234, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    A lot of new members are told by the older members, when posting repeated threads, "please do a search". Well, it's not that easy, as there are a lot of ways to search, and it takes some practice to figure out how the system works.

Tip #1: Always use the "Advanced Search Function"

That's right. The basic search is almost useless, because it searches posts, and spits out threads, and isn't specific enough. For example, if I search up "AT700 review", I get 93 threads, which aren't all related to the AT700. So pretty much, unless you're searching for a really vague term, like maybe whitewash :p, dont' use the basic search.

Tip #2: Try searching "titles only"

A lot of times, the information needed is found in the title, because the title itself specifies the contents of the thread. By searching titles, you'll get more specific results (which is a good thing). For example....if I search up AT700 review now, I get 1 thread result.....so maybe refining the search would help.

Tip #3: Search posts made by users

This is a good idea if you are familiar with the contents of some well known users. For example, if I want to search up some information on serving by Gollum, then I would input "Gollum" into the user name box, then search up "serves", and hopefully getting some good information about that aspect of the game.

Tip #4: When Searching through posts, ALWAYS show results as "posts"

This will save you the problem of sorting through long threads to find specific posts...it's not fun having to go through 20-page-long threads to find one tidbit of information.

Tip #5: Search through individual forums (boards)

If I want to search up "backhand smash", I'll probably get either information on the technique itself, or on Taufik and his backhand godliness. So if you want to learn about the technique itself, search through the "techniques" forum.

Tip #6: Searching through threads

If I want to find something in a long thread, say the ARC10 review thread, or the BCL/LYD threads, I can use the search function, located next to "thread tools". Using this, I can find individual posts quickly and easily. You can search by user and by content, so if you want to search for kwun's ARC10 review in the thread, you can search for posts he made within the thread, and you will find it quickly.

I hope these tips help out some of our members. It's a skill, how to search well. Also, just for manners, PLEASE dont' bump up threads that are more than 6 months old, unless you feel your post is really relavent. Helps to avoid clutter around here, which is what the search function is originally for.

Happy Searching :):)

s_mair and tanman49 like this.
  2. Jing09

Jing09 Regular Member

Student
    ah thanks for taking your time to do this, I'm still a noob at searching. I actually go to google and type in the search lol

3. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    No problem. I hope somebody stickies this, cause I had this problem when I was still a newbie. The search is pretty complicated and if you don't know how to get specific results, you pretty much just get tons of unsorted stuff.

Kinda like Google searching too, you gotta learn how to use it well to find the best information.

4. Amin Khalili

Amin Khalili Regular Member

Student
    I think it is who is is 'AT700' . AHAHAHA!
    BTW , thx alot . It will help alot to me , and fellow other bcers .

5. singnflip4life

singnflip4life Regular Member

Full Time Med Student
    Very very good post. Though to be honest, when I'm not in a hurry and what I'm looking for isn't too vital, some of the random results make for good reading as well.

6. amleto

amleto Regular Member

go to google, type your keywords/phrase, then add 'site:badmintoncentral.com' (no quotes).

7. howdidoo

howdidoo Regular Member

Wow.. saved lot of minutes and effort here !

8. visor

visor Regular Member

Just do it in Google , as amleto says.

Much faster and more
    comprehensive.

9. howdidoo

howdidoo Regular Member

But that will show up only basic search results. The above mentioned is pretty effective.

10. bestindigital

bestindigital Regular Member

Data Engineer
    Is it possible to search the Buy & Sell forum and restrict to a particular country?
    Example - I want to find threads listing rackets for sale in the US.
    Is this possible?

11. turbo2288

turbo2288 Regular Member

Sales
    Is it possible to search the Buy & Sell forum and restrict to a particular city?
    Example - I want to find threads listing rackets for sale inToronto (GTA)
    Is this possible?

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    no. unless the seller explicitly says "Toronto" then you can just search for Toronto within the forum.