Universal V Shape Side Supports - product review

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by lostatse, Aug 24, 2009.

1. lostatse

lostatse Regular Member

Student
    Mark A asked me to do this a while ago, completely slipped my mind, sorry buddy/guys.

So I've uploaded a few photos. You can see how it works, there is a hole going straight through the support which allows you to place the metal pin/attachment which fits your machine best into either end. There are 3 different molded supports to use, one for tennis, badminton and squash.

My machine is a Pro's pro challenger II. Overall I didn't like this product, although a clever idea, the double pinned metal support didn't suit my machine, so I was stuck with the single pin through my supports.

When I put all 4 on my machine and mounted the first racket to test it with the supports were not fixed in position and could slide up and down easily, I suppose this wouldn't be a problem for those with machines that clamp down a racket at head and throat. However my machine doesn't have that feature and having a racket which isn't held down securely is just too dodgy.

These were purchased to help make stringing easier by allowing me better access to grommets that would have before been blocked by my K shaped supports that came with the machine. However I've stuck with the sturdier K supports that don't move vertically and instead focus on positioning them so that they only block grommets as little as possible. (as suggested by a fellow BCer)

I hope someone finds this useful one day ^^

Attached Files:

#1 lostatse, Aug 24, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  2. blindfury

blindfury Regular Member

so basically the uni. v shape side supports suck?

3. lostatse

lostatse Regular Member

Student
    for my machine they suck big time, Mark A was also not happy, I believe he has an Eagnas.

It might work for some, but think carefully about it is my warning ^^

4. Kiloo

Kiloo Regular Member

Engineer
    On mine it wudnt work either as it will have to keep the racket pressed on the base of the arm and this one seems to keep the raclet hanging in mid air.(by the looks of it).

5. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Indeed I was not:mad:. There are, apparently, two Eagnas fitments, and mine was the wrong one (being a Pro's Pro Pilot = Eagnas Combo 810). Tried repeatedly to sell them, actually...

6. peterwarman

peterwarman Regular Member

I was trying to buy some of these for my Pro's Pro machine as I don't get on with the K shaped supports either. The problem for me is I can't find any where that sell them! :crying:Though having read this thread, I'm a bit put off now! :D

What options are there for someone wanting to upgrade from the K shaped side supports? I wanted to make sure the two silver pins on the bottom would fit my machine (as shown in the pictures below) but sounds like this is not the worry, it is whether the racket is held down by the supports.

Can anyone help me out?

:cool:

Attached Files:

7. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

8. peterwarman

Couldn't see what I was supposed to be looking for with the link I'm afraid! Sorry, I might be slow on that one.

I have since found this (see below), they are £6 each with £3 p&p. The one on the left is Eagnas, the other one is from Taiwan.It got extra pin which you can pull out if you want.
    From what I’ve been told, they are 4mm thick and they both have 8mm screw so both will fit but the Eagnas one might be of the same thickness where the racket seat on, the other one seat is a little bit thinner, so you can add some extra cushion to it or a washer underneath. The 8mm screw in that one is longer for more scope (what ever that means?).
    Any help to as whether to go for these side supports (total of £27) would be great. At the moment I’m leaning towards the Eagnas one’s. I will be getting them from gefen sports if anyone is interested in getting some themselves.
    I’m just glad I didn’t fork out £25 on the Eagnas V shaped side supports only to find they don’t hold the racket down very well!

Attached Files:

9. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Heh, the ones on the right were the ones I was hoping would show up in the link:D. With badminton supports I would say less is more - the Eagnas ones look a bit bulky to me, and one of my bugbears with the K brackets was lack of access to things like shared grommets.

If you do get either set, let us know how they perform!

10. gsloh

gsloh Regular Member

Peterwarman,

Where/which sides did you find those side supports? Very tempting indeed, and will definitely save a bit of time and trouble digging the string out from the K supports!

11. Kiloo

Kiloo Regular Member

Engineer
    Hi Pete, where can we buy the Taiwan support. thanx

12. peterwarman

The thing I'm worried about is that this one is supposed is a little bit thinner on the seat (?), so you can add some extra cushion to it or a washer underneath. I don't fancy adding anything to be fair, I would like to use them straight away with no messing around! :D
    As for longer thread for better scope (still trying to figure out what is meant by this!), I'm more tempted to get the Eagnas as it's more of a brand name. I wonder it the picture is mis-leading a bit as I agree, one looks bulkier than the other.

Click HERE to the page that they are on, scroll down to near the bottom of the page.

I will definitely let you know which ones I get and how I get on, as this seems to be a major issue (with the Pro's Pro machines at least), but not much information about what to do unless you are already "in the know".

:cool:

13. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

This is a fair point: the K brackets that come with the machine are made to come to EXACTLY the same height as the rubber mats at 12 and 6, so aftermarket brackets may need modifying (usually upwards as Pete mentioned). As long as you can find four identical "height boosters" you should be fine.

14. peterwarman

Sorry for such a late reply for the review of these clamps. I've only recently strung a racket with these clamps so couldn't review them till I've used them! :)

Having got them, I don’t know how I survived with out them! :eek:
    Long gone are the days of fiddling around so that the grommet holes aren’t covered in anyway! They are really thin, and I would recommend them to all badminton re-stringers who don’t already have V shaped side supports. Even though these are V shaped, they are so thin that they don’t need to be. I was actually looking for V shaped supports as I like the cut outs on the side of the supports so the string doesn’t rub on the supports when tensioning. But these are great. I’d give them 5 out of 5. They only have one pin on the bottom but you get a nut to put on and that’s it, job done.:cool:

This is my opinion anyway, it depends what clamps you were using before to as how much better they will be for you. Here's some pictures to help you decide if they are for you.:cool:

Would be nice to know if other people are interested in these clamps and whether it helped them too. :)

Attached Files:

15. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Peter, good to see you're happy with the new supports:). They really are thin - the pads look like the 12/6 supports. Can you give us a picture of the racket in the machine with the new supports (and, even better, a close-up of how they affect neighbouring grommets)?

I myself will be getting the other ones feartured in the Peter's link after Christmas; DinkALot has these and never stops recommending them:D.

16. Alom

Alom Regular Member

hmmm :cool: Mark, am quite interested in these. Where can I get these? Which one are featured in Peters link.

17. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

The ones I'm after can be found here - one from the bottom, right hand picture.

18. Alom

Alom Regular Member

Thanks. Will order some and let you know how it goes.

19. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

if only...

I'm actually considering having some brackets custom made; I've always liked the ES5 setup, so I've doodled a little something in Solidworks that will ape it but fit an Eagnas. If someone out there could make these they would supplant the K's in NO time:D

Attached Files:

20. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    that looks great! with a milling machine that can be made. maybe we can find someone to custom make something like that for us. in fact, we can pour it out of steel. the most important part is to have it designed in such a way that it will mount on most of the machines.

even with the support of my WASE, which is already smaller than usual, i am constant frustrated by it blocking some of the holes.