String tension; not what I ordered!

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by alphapeta, Aug 24, 2009.

1. alphapeta

alphapeta Regular Member

Designer/Typographer
    So, I ordered a Carlton Vapour trail Tour badminton racket from DirectSports, and naturally ordered a new Ashaway string as factory strung rackets are awful. I couldn't believe that when I got it, not only had they painted the carlton logo onto the strings (making that particular area of the racket respond differently/make thta area of strings more brittle), but they were strung well below 26lbs. You should hardly be able to move a 26lb strung racket. Has anyone else had this problem from Direct Sports before?!
    Thanks

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I have no idea about DirectSports, but I have some questions regarding your claim:

1. What's wrong with the painted logo? A lot of pro-shop painted the logos on the rackets, and most of such using approved stencil ink, which should not do too much harm to the string. Also, after a few sessions, the extra paint will mostly fell off (that's why the symbol will looks much lighter), and I heardly heard anyone (from club level to international level) ever claim the painted area has such significant impact on the string response. :rolleyes:

2. Different machine setting and temperature changes can definitelly effect the string tension. If say the stringer strung a racket under 68'F temperature, but your gym is 90's (i.e. no AC), or you left the racket in car trunk under direct sun shine for a day, then you will definitely feel the difference.

Again, I am not saying it's must be who's fault. I just do not think you can easily judge a string job quality only based on the above 2 claims.

3. alphapeta

alphapeta Regular Member

Designer/Typographer
    1. Well, not in antagonistic response, but the only reason the 'top' brands mark their rackets is because of advertising, it is of course fine to play with, but at high tensions, string dyes and paints have been known to cause brittle string snapping. Also the shuttle will come off of the paint differently dependent on thickness of the paint. Note there is a difference between dye and paint.

2. Bit of an odd theory. Especially as here in the uk the temp doesn't exceed much above room temp outside of a sports centre, I've been playing for 20 years half of which at county level-I know a well strung racket! (again not trying to come across as a big head).

4. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Different machine, different calibration/ not prestretched or ECP and the strings have lost tension already?

What do you mean by "strings move", you can move then around, or the stringbed is very easy to flex?

5. alphapeta

alphapeta Regular Member

Designer/Typographer
    Hi—
    I haven't played with it yet! It's way below 26LBS—the tension is not 26lbs. Tension is measured in lbs—if it was a little off then fine, but in this case, it's way off.

6. petert1401

petert1401 Regular Member

I've never bought a racquet from Direct Sports, but have had similar problems from other suppliers.

These days I prefer to negotiate that they send me the racquet unstrung, but with two packets of string of my choice. It saves them an hour of stringing time and I get to string it myself just how I like it - and I get a spare set...everyone's a winner :)

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

As a stringer, I do not know how odd my theory can be, when I say machine setting and temperature can change the actual string tension. :cool:

Put this way, my room temperature can be 90's, if I do not turn my fan on, and can be 60's when I fully blast my AC. Under different temperature, the result (when you play in the same gym afterward, say 80'F) will be very different. One is the tempature decreased by 10'F (which means, in theory, it will be tighter), and the other one is increased by 20'F (which means, it will be a bit looser). And things like sealed trunk under direct sun shine can be 120'F range, which present even more of a problem.

Different machine setting will be another factor. Some players claim that my 24lbs of work feetls tighter than their so-call 26lbs of work. I suspect because I am using drop weight, while others might using crank. The different of consistent pulling result in the different feeling.

Again, I am not here to judge whether the stringing job is right or wrong, because it's only based on your own description. However, I hope you can be a bit more open minded to observe things from different point of view, rather than directly jumping out and accuse a business. :rolleyes:

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    In theory, you are right. However, why it really bothers you? Is your hand that sensitive can really feel the difference? If players like LD (who treats this sport as his career and life) can live with it, what's so much of a deal for us club level players? :rolleyes:

9. BadFever

BadFever Regular Member

If you are trying to fight for your right, then I have nothing to offer.
    But if you are just not happy with the stringing, why not cut it and get the racket string by your usual stringer. That way, you get to enjoy your new racket immediately.

10. sudirman

sudirman Regular Member

I've used direct sports several times, their customer service is pretty good!

just don't use it and make sure you return it as original brand new condition, they will most likely send the replacement.

11. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Regular Member

Consultant
    a little drastic for a poor stringing job, wouldn't you say? :rolleyes: